Just watched Reyes vs Oezdemir

I'd pick Thiago to beat Reyes, he's shown "sloppy" strikes but his power, shot selection and IQ, he's also surprisingly quick would be enough to walk Reyes down and bully him.
Santos is a beast at 205lb
That sloppiness is exactly what would get him in trouble against a powerful counter puncher like Reyes. Reyes and volkan have also shown to be pretty durable which I don't think santos is. Jimi Manuwa actually had him in a little bit of trouble in their fight and that wasn't even that long ago

Styles make fights. Volkan is allergic to grappling, a problem dom doesn't present that DC and jones present in spades. Dom, DC, and volkan have very little in common.

The closest you have to a common opponent in dom to jones in terms of style and size is gus. So if we're going there. Take prime gus given the ages of dom and jones and match prime gus with current jones
Styles make fights. Volkan is allergic to grappling, a problem dom doesn't present that DC and jones present in spades. Dom, DC, and volkan have very little in common.

The closest you have to a common opponent in dom to jones in terms of style and size is gus. So if we're going there. Take prime gus given the ages of dom and jones and match prime gus with current jones
I think you may have not read my previous post....
I wasn’t comparing DC to Volkan, the previous poster had said Volkan would be a tough fight for anyone, including jones and DC had an easy time because of his wrestling.

My basic statement was, that if Jones could outwrestle DC then Volkan shouldn’t be a problem. I actually like you comparison of Reyes to Gus better.
All and all my end point was that if Reyes is having that close of fights with Ozedemir, it doesn’t make me like his chances against Jones.

edit:sorry for the double quote

Most people will probably disagree, but I don't. Regardless, I believe the fight was much closer than people think.

That sloppiness is exactly what would get him in trouble against a powerful counter puncher like Reyes. Reyes and volkan have also shown to be pretty durable which I don't think santos is. Jimi Manuwa actually had him in a little bit of trouble in their fight and that wasn't even that long ago
That "sloppiness" also should've got him flatlined by Jan but regardless of how it looks his strikes are deceptive and he's hard to counter.

Manuwa also has insane offensive boxing and big power absolutely ending Anderson and OSP.

But that's the fun of the game we never know unless they fight

Manuwa also did pretty well VS Santos in the clinch, which is where I expected Jones to eat Santos alive. Needless to say, that did not really happen. Jones didn't have it easy taking down Smith, either. I think Dom will present a real difficult challenge.

For Dom though. How does he get in on Jones, past the probing of the kicks? That's what I'm most curious about

I would think he shouldn't but then again imo jones lost against thiago Santos and I think volkan is actually similar to thiago but actually better. Reyes beats both of those guys
and probably has a better shot at dethroning Jones than anyone else in the division right now
I really like Reyes man, I wish he could get maybe one more in before fighting Jones, but hey
I get it.
I’ll be rooting for him come Saturday. But sadly I just don’t think he’s the guy to beat Jones

Fair enough. Reyes is a counter striker.... whcih doesn't work for a guy like Jones. He never overextends, and is in full control of his range and distance. The difference here the clinch. Jones' clinchwork will be devastating and will break Reyes spirit. Then comes the wrestling clinic followed by a brutal GNP finish.

this guy gets it.

you cant beat Jones by counteing. he will just hit you with everything at range.

Yeah it was 29-28 Reyes, & if there had been 2 more rounds it would have been 49-46 as Volkan had clearly slowed down & had been figured out.

Definitely not any less impressive a performance by Reyes than Jones was vs no-knees Santos.

The commentary excuse doesn't work because one of the judges gave it to Oezdemir too.

this guy gets it.

you cant beat Jones by counteing. he will just hit you with everything at range.
I'm expecting Reyes to adopt Santos' game plan. Hit high counting combos at range, Jones does a good job of negating almost all head strikes with his extended arm to dictate range and stop peoples forward momentum but Santos showed his legs and body are exposed.
Reyes hits nice high count combos beautifully mixing kicks and punches and should be going to the body often. If Reyes can get his body and leg kicks going it can set up his hands and possibly hurt Jones

Jones has added amazing kicks to his arsenal which he used to control Smith and Gus but his offensive boxing (besides his insane left body hook) is basic.
I think clinch and elbow range is where Reyes gets murked if he stays there too long

The commentary excuse doesn't work because one of the judges gave it to Oezdemir too.
One of the judges gave it to him because it was an extremely close fight.

The commentary is why some fans think it's a robbery. It's not even close.

Fucking Volkan spoiling prospects. He ruined Misha and Rakic. Reyes was close.

One of the judges gave it to him because it was an extremely close fight.

The commentary is why some fans think it's a robbery. It's not even close.

That really depends on how you define 'robbery'.

That really depends on how you define 'robbery'.
Respectfully disagree Sherbro.

A lot of people use the word robbery incorrectly, but that doesn't mean that any definition is valid.

Someone calling Reyes-Oezdemir a robbery shows that they don't know what a robbery is.

Massive task ahead but first things first if Reyes doesn't 'freeze' in front of Jones then he will give himself a fighting chance.

If your fighting that close of a fight with Ozedemir(who I like)
Than I’m sorry your not ready for a guy like Jon Jones

Right just like if Eric Spicely submits you no way you could compete with Jones, oh wait

This was my first viewing of this fight.

Some things I noted while watching:

• As usual, Dan Hardy's commentary was dog shit. He was completely dismissing anything and everything Reyes was doing in the fight and only paying attention to Volkan's attacks. The commentary was especially bad in rounds 2 & 3 where Dom was getting the better of Volkan.
  • Volkan was headhunting a lot while Reyes was varying his attacks to the legs, body, and head in that order of priority.
  • Dom has a good chin and his takedown defense didn't look nearly as bad as some were originally saying immediately after this fight. He looked more caught off guard that Volkan was shooting, but once he got his barrings he fished for underhooks and whizzers quick. Volkan did nothing with the takedowns, Dom stuffed a couple, and when he did get taken down he got up very fast.
  • Overall while I think the fight was close, it was pretty clear that Dominick Reyes rightfully won, 29-28, picking up the last 2 rounds.
TL;DR
Hardy sucks, fight was close, Reyes won.

View attachment 722135

you're 100% right about Dan Hardy - he’s very biased - he makes Rogan sound impartial

I agree OP, everyone is looking past Reyes, but he is legit. A live dog for sure. Oezdemir is a very powerful, competent striker, the fact that he was the one initiating the grappling exchanges should tell you all you need to know about Reyes's striking.

The biggest problem will be the clinch but I think he has the size, strength and footwork to avoid getting clinched. He has to exchange kicks with Jones and not let him be comfortable at distance, box him up, footwork will be key to finding angles. He has been working on his TDD, but a take down is inevitable, I think, when it happens, he has to keep calm and work his way up... easier said than done, just ask Gus.

Last edited:
Back