Just watched Reyes vs Oezdemir

JustBleed69

Touch-Butt Silver Belt
Yellow Card
Reaction score
This was my first viewing of this fight.

Some things I noted while watching:

• As usual, Dan Hardy's commentary was dog shit. He was completely dismissing anything and everything Reyes was doing in the fight and only paying attention to Volkan's attacks. The commentary was especially bad in rounds 2 & 3 where Dom was getting the better of Volkan.
  • Volkan was headhunting a lot while Reyes was varying his attacks to the legs, body, and head in that order of priority.
  • Dom has a good chin and his takedown defense didn't look nearly as bad as some were originally saying immediately after this fight. He looked more caught off guard that Volkan was shooting, but once he got his barrings he fished for underhooks and whizzers quick. Volkan did nothing with the takedowns, Dom stuffed a couple, and when he did get taken down he got up very fast.
  • Overall while I think the fight was close, it was pretty clear that Dominick Reyes rightfully won, 29-28, picking up the last 2 rounds.
TL;DR
Hardy sucks, fight was close, Reyes won.

Screenshot_20200204-111316_Chrome Beta.jpg

Last edited:

Some things noted while watching:

• As usual, Dan Hardy's commentary was dog shit. He was completely dismissing anything and everything Reyes was doing in the fight and only paying attention to Volkan's attacks. The commentary was especially bad in rounds 2 & 3 where Dom was getting the better of Volkan.
  • Volkan was headhunting a lot while Reyes was varying his attacks to the legs, body, and head in that order of priority.
  • Dom has a good chin and his takedown defense didn't look nearly as bad as some were originally saying immediately after this fight. He looked more caught off guard that Volkan was shooting, but once he get his barrings he fished for underhooks and whizzers quick. Volkan did nothing with the takedowns, Dom stuffed a couple, and when he did get taken down he got up very fast.
  • Overall I think while the fight was close, it was pretty clear that Dominick Reyes rightfully won, 29-28, picking up the last 2 rounds.
TL;DR

View attachment 722135
Didnt watch the fight, but looking at the stats looks like a razor thin win for Reyes.

One of those wins where you really shouldn't leave it to the judges.

Some things I noted while watching:

• Dom has a good chin and his takedown defense didn't look nearly as bad as some were originally saying immediately after this fight. He looked more caught off guard that Volkan was shooting, but once he get his barrings he fished for underhooks and whizzers quick. Volkan did nothing with the takedowns, Dom stuffed a couple, and when he did get taken down he got up very fast.
  • Overall while I think the fight was close, it was pretty clear that Dominick Reyes rightfully won, 29-28, picking up the last 2 rounds.
TL;DR

View attachment 722135

It won't be enough, sadly.

The GOAT by whatever he wants, after barely training the last few months.

Yup, it was exactly like you said TS. Reyes rightfully won a close fight, and the commentary was the reason many people thought it was a robbery.

It won't be enough, sadly.

The GOAT by whatever he wants, after barely training the last few months.
I don't expect Reyes to win, but I do think on paper he stands a better chance than a lot of Jons recent opponents. I could be completely wrong and Jon dusts him quick, but that's just how I see it.

If your fighting that close of a fight with Ozedemir(who I like)
Than I’m sorry your not ready for a guy like Jon Jones

I don't expect Reyes to win, but I do think on paper he stands a better chance than a lot of Jons recent opponents. I could be completely wrong and Jon dusts him quick, but that's just how I see it.

Fair enough. Reyes is a counter striker.... whcih doesn't work for a guy like Jones. He never overextends, and is in full control of his range and distance. The difference here the clinch. Jones' clinchwork will be devastating and will break Reyes spirit. Then comes the wrestling clinic followed by a brutal GNP finish.

Fair enough. Reyes is a counter striker.... whcih doesn't work for a guy like Jones. He never overextends, and is in full control of his range and distance. The difference here the clinch. Jones' clinchwork will be devastating and will break Reyes spirit. Then comes the wrestling clinic followed by a brutal GNP finish.
I give Reyes a better chance than most because I think his striking is far better and more well rounded than a lot of his previous opponents, he has good foot work and head movement, he's very good with his back against the fence/behind the black lines, and based on how big he is. But like I said, I don't think that will be enough.

If your fighting that close of a fight with Ozedemir(who I like)
Than I’m sorry your not ready for a guy like Jon Jones
Who doesn't have a close fight with oezdimer in that division besides DC who is no longer at lhw or jones who has never fought oezdimer?

Very close fight. Hopefully Reyes improved a lot since then or he has nothing for Jones.

People are overexaggerating the importance of Reyes' performance in that fight in regards to his fight against Jon Jones.

Volkan is a powerful striker with an extremely good chin who's a tough matchup for everybody who's not a wrestler.

@JustBleed69 you're right with your assessment of Reyes probably being the worst match up for Jones in a long time.

I'd disagree to an extent, Reyes is great at counterpunching, but he actually puts quite a bit volume out and walks forward.

(third highest volume in terms of landed strikes at light heavyweight, iirc).

Who doesn't have a close fight with oezdimer in that division besides DC who is no longer at lhw or jones who has never fought oezdimer?
You kind of just proved my point.
The only guy who blew through Ozdemir was the former champ, a guy who jones easily beat twice.

if Volkan and Jones fought fo you really believe he would give Jones a hard time?

The only guy who blew through Ozdemir was the former champ, a guy who jones easily beat twice.

if Volkan and Jones fought fo you really believe he would give Jones a hard time?
It would prob be one of those OSP like fights where Jones easily wins, on the scorecards but he doesn't look overly impressive in it and turns out to be quite boring. Styles make matchups my dude, and DC wrestles way more than Jones does nowadays.

Volkan was robbed and pretty much exposed Reyes.

I would think he shouldn't but then again imo jones lost against thiago Santos and I think volkan is actually similar to thiago but actually better. Reyes beats both of those guys and probably has a better shot at dethroning Jones than anyone else in the division right now

I would think he shouldn't but then again imo jones lost against thiago Santos and I think volkan is actually similar to thiago but actually better. Reyes beats both of those guys and probably has a better shot at dethroning Jones than anyone else in the division right now
I'd pick Thiago to beat Reyes, he's shown "sloppy" strikes but his power, shot selection and IQ, he's also surprisingly quick would be enough to walk Reyes down and bully him.
Santos is a beast at 205lb

Volkan was robbed and pretty much exposed Reyes.
- didn't read OP
- didn't actually watch fight
- didnt look at stats/ numbers
- possibly mentally incapacitated

Styles make fights. Volkan is allergic to grappling, a problem dom doesn't present that DC and jones present in spades. Dom, DC, and volkan have very little in common.

The closest you have to a common opponent in dom to jones in terms of style and size is gus. So if we're going there. Take prime gus given the ages of dom and jones and match prime gus with current jones

It would prob be one of those OSP like fights where Jones easily wins, on the scorecards but he doesn't look overly impressive in it and turns out to be quite boring. Styles make matchups my dude, and DC wrestles way more than Jones does nowadays.
that’s fair, I agree that It would probably look like the OSP fight. Jones fights to the level of his opponent unless he’s out to prove a point.
I agree that styles make fights and every fight is different. Yes DC used his wrestling better but it doesn’t mean that Jones doesn’t anymore, look at Gus 2 for example. Hell he outwrestled DC

However, I still stand by the fact that Volkan Ozedemir has nothing for Jon Jones and would get thoroughly beaten. Wether it be finish or DEC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back