Just watched RDA vs Pettis

i think some people are also underestimating conor. saying he's too small etc. he is going to be bigger than dos anjos on fight night. a bigger frame, and will be more muscular. he has proven to be a smart fighter, although mendes' wrestling gave him a lot of trouble. he'll be working in training to counter RDA grappling. it is a competitive matchup. he's also shown more ability to hurt people with 1 shot.

On the want hand I would like Conor to eat some humble pie, but on the other hand.. It would be super interesting if he wins. Now he is the only fighter left that is Cocky and is winning all the time, making his own rules and demands to the UFC. I would like to see how it develops if he continues to win. If he loses, well, we get back to boring landscape again.

Yeah I know. Seeing Dana upset is fun too. It's hard to pick between them both :(

Anthony Pettis is a very good kicker with an excellent guard, RDA has a very different task in March. RDA has to approach the fight with a 'damage limitation' strategy in order to take it into a third round and then apply pressure with both his Muay Thai and his fence game to win 3 rounds.

However Conors best strategy is to mix the body kicks with the threat of his wheel kicks to beat RDA down and once RDA is looking as though he wants out he can than add more boxing and if Conor executes that game plan well enough it's game set and match.

The pressure/pace that RDA put on Pettis was something else, i find it hard to believe he would lose against Conor, but so i did with Aldo and RDA doesnt have a 10 year wining streak.

Aldo was king, but he played it too safe most fights. Then went crazy vs Conor. I think RDA fights the same all the time. But from the tapes, one can see he's definitely bound to get tagged.

100% this TS thought Aldo was PFP #1 ........

It only takes one punch.

On the want hand I would like Conor to eat some humble pie, but on the other hand.. It would be super interesting if he wins. Now he is the only fighter left that is Cocky and is winning all the time, making his own rules and demands to the UFC. I would like to see how it develops if he continues to win. If he loses, well, we get back to boring landscape again.
I really do not like the idea of him, or any fighter, holding two belts simultaneously. As horrific as the injury bug has been and with Conor already tearing his knee once...I would hate seeing two belts in two of my favorite divisions on ice. Not to be pessimist but that's my concern.

i think some people are also underestimating conor. saying he's too small etc. he is going to be bigger than dos anjos on fight night. a bigger frame, and will be more muscular. he has proven to be a smart fighter, although mendes' wrestling gave him a lot of trouble. he'll be working in training to counter RDA grappling. it is a competitive matchup. he's also shown more ability to hurt people with 1 shot.

Can't speak for everyone but maybe it's not that Conor will be small at LW but rather he won't be enjoying his massive size advantage he enjoys at FW.

Remember what happened to Jon Jones when he finally faced someone closer to his size. All the sudden his wrestling and his striking wasn't as effective.

I know there are many people on these boards wishing to see Conor get wrecked in this fight, and I understand why. I'm not a blind Conor hugger, and I have this thing pegged as about 65-35 in RDA's favor, but I don't think it gets enough mention here the stones that Conor has for chasing this fight. RDA should be the last guy on earth that Conor elected to get locked in the cage with, and he went straight for him at his first opportunity. He deserves props for delivering us this fight- even if he's delivering himself a beating.

Finally a Conor fan that doesn't sound like he's reading from a comic book. It's gonna be a good fight--and by that I mean, it's gonna be an ugly ass night for Conor, Pink Beard Night coming! Good post though as I just rewatched it myself on YT last night and yeah, Conor is fucked if he doesn't land a flush KO shot early. I also rewatched the Mendes fight and Mendes did some damage with like an 8 in reach deficit, plus he's small as hell but mad respect to Conor for pulling through and ktfo of Chad.

That was a really impressive performance. RDA has more ways to win than Conor. It seems as though RDA just keeps getting better

Here's an interesting observation: Pettis gets put against the fence. A lot.

Look at his last four fights: Against Benson, he was against the fence. Against Melendez, he was against the fence. Against RDA, he was against the fence. Against Alvarez, he was against the fence.

Pettis has a lot of trouble cutting corners. It hurts him. I don't see Conor, with his movement, having anywhere near that problem.

A better fight to watch? Diaz vs RDA.
Diaz never really got put against the cage, his movement and offense was too good.... so RDA had to chop down Diaz's legs. Again and again and again. And as they were both southpaws, this was easy, and probably something Diaz never dealt with. It was only after a round and a half of leg chopping that Diaz slowed down and RDA was able to pin him and take him down.

Now, I know Conor isn't Diaz. Conor is significantly more mobile, has a more varied repertoire of technique and is a lot more powerful... but Diaz was also much bigger, with a longer reach. And RDA was still able to jump safely out of distance to avoid Diaz's attacks.

So in retrospect... I'd look at Diaz vs RDA for your crystal ball need.

He is not going to be more muscular...

RDA walks around at around 195, Conor walks around at about 170... Conor might be longer but RDA is by all means bigger.

if you watch the two free fights that the ufc posted up on youtube...rda vs pettis and conor vs mendes...the only thing you can conclude from that is that rda will destroy conor. but i dont think that was the normal conor in that fight

my only concern for RDA is that he will load up or over commit on his punches and get dropped like aldo did. if he can pressure conor like he did pettis, and bully him, he can definitely win this fight. its a pick em. cant wait to watch.

Back