Just Watched Maverick vs. Barber for 1st Time. My Thoughts.

Brom Bones

Where's that little soy boy, bitch Ichabod?
@Black
Reaction score
In bulleted TLDR Sherbro form:
  • Maverick looks like a dude in a wig. Really not trying to clown her, just the truth. Her delts are very full and has a muscular build.
  • Barber is kinda cute, with a big forehead and bad skin. Really white armpits.
  • 1st round both girls mostly punched air, but Maverick's kicks clearly won her the round. I say clearly, but nothing very impactful here. Reminds me of Woodley vs. Wonderboy where guy wins round by outstriking 5-2 with all other strikes blocked or missed.
  • 2nd round. Gets interesting here. Maverick keeps the momentum going early here. Very nice leg kick. Towards the middle of the round, Barber finally starts getting aggressive and starts to land strikes. Some of her strikes are hard and she takes the momentum. Takedown for Maverick at end and some nice ground and pound, but nothing spectacular.
  • 3rd. Maverick starts off good in the 1st 30 seconds, but Barber pours on offense after that. Clear round for Barber, but nothing dominating here. That spinning elbow was nice and some good boxing punches.
So the main takeaway I got here was the 2nd was A LOT closer than everyone here has been saying. Was NOT a robbery. We get the classic Goldie "takedown at the end may have sealed the round" along with the "the last thing the judges see may have won him/her a close round" tropes. That round was razor close and the takedown and GNP wasn't anything special.

That being said, I'd give that round and the fight to Maverick. I know this is the Dog and we get extreme hyperbole, but I guess that's what you have to expect here. We've got threads saying Corey was ROBBED! when the fight was close. The judging criteria for these drunk blowhards being ignorant shit like: LOOK AT HIS FACE! That's all you need to know! Or: If this had been a street fight, Corey wins!

Here is the judging criteria in PDF form so y'all can study up on it. Using the official criteria that the judges use, giving Barber the 2nd round is perfectly cromulent.

https://www.abcboxing.com/Unified_Rules_of_MMA_Judging_Criteria.pdf

Edit: Also, fuck DC!

At first I thought Barber was fighting Jonathan Brookins

i

OK rewatched the close 2nd round. It's a little clearer that Maverick won, but still not the domination some might say.
  • Maverick with very nice leg kick and good inside kick
  • Barber with good punch and takedown that goes nowhere
  • Maverick with body kick, couple punches
  • Barber with a couple good elbows from the clinch and some punches against the cage
Here is the case for Barber in this round. The two elbows were the best strikes in the round. The takedown and GNP at the end were not that big of a deal. Mostly blocked. Like I said, would give it to Maverick, but a case can be made for Barber. Plus she has really white armpits.

• Maverick looks like a dude in a wig. Really not trying to clown her, just the truth. Her delts are very full and has a muscular build.
  • 1st round both girls mostly punched air, but Maverick's kicks clearly won her the round. I say clearly, but nothing very impactful here. Reminds me of Woodley vs. Wonderboy where guy wins round by outstriking 5-2 with all other strikes blocked or missed.
  • 2nd round. Gets interesting here. Maverick keeps the momentum going early here. Very nice leg kick. Towards the middle of the round, Barber finally starts getting aggressive and starts to land strikes. Some of her strikes are hard and she takes the momentum. Takedown for Maverick at end and some nice ground and pound, but nothing spectacular.
  • 3rd. Maverick starts off good in the 1st 30 seconds, but Barber pours on offense after that. Clear round for Barber, but nothing dominating here. That spinning elbow was nice and some good boxing punches.
So the main takeaway I got here was the 2nd was A LOT closer than everyone here has been saying. Was NOT a robbery. We get the classic Goldie "takedown at the end may have sealed the round" along with the "the last thing the judges see may have won him/her a close round" tropes. That round was razor close and the takedown and GNP wasn't anything special.

That being said, I'd give that round and the fight to Maverick. I know this is the Dog and we get extreme hyperbole, but I guess that's what you have to expect here. We've got threads saying Corey was ROBBED! when the fight was close. The judging criteria for these drunk blowhards being ignorant shit like: LOOK AT HIS FACE! That's all you need to know! Or: If this had been a street fight, Corey wins!

Here is the judging criteria in PDF form so y'all can study up on it. Using the official criteria that the judges use, giving Barber the 2nd round is perfectly cromulent.

Cute ? Your standards are pretty low.

Lmao at bullet points 1 and 2. I think it was a pretty clear rounds 1 and 2 for Maverick. Wasn't drinking last night but I was working, so it didn't have my undivided attention until the main event.

Watched the blonde girl hit air for 5mins so fast forwarded to the next fight.

You lost me at not a robbery.

Every single media outlet scored it for Maverick. 90% of fans scored it for Maverick. There is no reasonable argument to be made to score the second for Barber. It was closer than the first, but Maverick still clearly won.

This decision is the very definition of a robbery. The wrong person was awarded the victory.

The state of that division tho. Those 2 girls are """prospects"""...

Back