Just watched Cruikshank vs. Koch, super late stoppage.

wtf that fight could've been stopped immediately & Koch could've been saved some brain cells but the ref seemed so hesitant on calling the fight.

Beautiful finish tho, when Cruikshank has it going it looks like a work of art, does anybody have a gif btw?

Personally I don't see what else the ref could have done. Koch lost consciousness from the kick but the seemed to only have been out for a second and started trying to defend and fight back. And even though Cruikshank's first right probably finished it, he then started throwing some weak elbows in very close which looked more designed simply to land for a stoppage then to do damage. And if your the ref, you don't want to stop it on those elbows unless you are sure the guy really is out of it. Given how much happened and how hard it was to tell at first if Koch had recovered, I thought the stoppage was fine and not late.

Edit: There were more shots then I remembered before those last 4-5 kind of push elbows with nothing on them. After watching it again, it probably was a little late

Last edited:
Yeah, that punch when he was on the ground would have been enough, imo.
Great KO, however... kick combinations, you know?

DelightfulMediumBushbaby.gif

Not late at all. Koch was conscious and the ref gave him enough time to do something. When he got trapped under Daron, he stopped the fight.

I thought the stoppage was fine. If you guys keep this up, eventually you'll start thinking any punch after the first punch will be a late stoppage.

Today I learnt that they don't drug test refs.

What the hell was the Leprachaun ref thinking? About where he's gonna go tan after the fights? Not only was he super fucking late, he didn't even jump in too stop the fight, all he did was lift his hands in the air. Luckily, Cruikshank is a good guy otherwise the fighter would have gotten even more punches in on Koch.

Didnt see the fight, but watched it now.

First time I watched it I thought the ref did a good job, Koch held on to the head and was not unconscious. Then I watched it again and changed my mind. He obviously wastnt out due to the kick. But if you look carefully again, the first shot after the kick knocked him out, followed by a second when he was not conscious. Thats where in a perfect world it should have been stopped. He came back though, and then defended intelligently, so from that point I understand letting the fight go a bit further.

Summary, late stoppage, but it was a very quick sequence of events, so Im not blaming the ref for this one, they dont have the luxury of analysing the replay.

......no? If you can grab someone and keep holding on, thats pretty indicative youre not out; elbows only traveling a few inches but thrown wildly should not end a fight, i hate feeling like the ref is going to stop it whenever a guy just pours it on, even if the fighter is blocking/defending well/not out. Not to say that i dont believe Koch was in deep trouble or that Im outraged about this stoppage

Yep, he cleaned Koch's clock pretty good. Koch is extremely over-rated, Aldo would have murdered the guy inside 2 rounds.

Late stoppage, early stoppage. Some fo you guys always need something to bitch about. If Koch was able to pull off an arm bar from his back, all of you would be praising the ref for letting the fight continue.

SUPER late... Super is making a comeback. It's everywhere. I'm old and grumpy

Hipster

Did not watch fight

But if you look carefully again, the first shot after the kick knocked him out, followed by a second when he was not conscious. Thats where in a perfect world it should have been stopped.

I agree with you a 100% here. But...

he did come back and he seemed to have his wits. I think he could have gotten out of there if the ref let it go. If he had stopped it when the first punched landed after he was dropped... I would have been fine with it. But to me it seemed like Koch could have survived.

I'm sure Koch appreciates the extra time where the ref have him the benefit of the doubt. I think the stoppage was fine under those particular circumstances.

If a dude goes out, technically the fight should be stopped right then

Back