Just turned 40, need advice on training routine.

SpaceGinger

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Having just turned 40 I realise it's kinda now or never to get the fittest I can with body health longevity in mind. I currently do BJJ 3 x per week, weights 3 x per week and running 2-4 x week.

My goal WAS to run an ultra this year but I realise that is a singular focus that takes a lot of time and effort. I want to gain a bit of size and also love BJJ so just running is no longer my goal. I also started losing significant weight, not necessarily because of running but I believe mainly cos I just don't feel hungry when running, unlike after weights or BJJ when I feel like eating heaps.

My new goal is to put on about 8kg (currently only 62kg), continue with BJJ as much as possible and maintain some decent level of running. I am doing basic lifts at the gym and eating around 3000 cals per day.

I really have ZERO idea what I'm doing with regards to putting together an effective training schedule while also eating enough to gain size. Am I trying to do too much? Any advice would be massively appreciated to get me in some kind of routine. I'm not a natural athlete either, just a dude who wants to realise the best version of myself.

Increase calories 500 per day and assess in a month, cut out the running, if you're training Bjj effectively you really don't require all that extra calorie burn and Bjj should give you all the cardio you need. If you're appetite deficient, supplement with meal replacement / protein shakes, they're easier to choke down.

Increase calories 500 per day and assess in a month, cut out the running, if you're training Bjj effectively you really don't require all that extra calorie burn and Bjj should give you all the cardio you need. If you're appetite deficient, supplement with meal replacement / protein shakes, they're easier to choke down.
Thankyou, I genuinely appreciate the feedback. I do feel BJJ is pretty intense cardio so I will drop my running back a lot. I still feel I must do some if only cos it's a huge passion and would feel weird without it.

I will increase my calories and see how I go. I already find it challenging to eat so much so I will have to look into higher calorie meals rather than large meals. Supplement shakes in the diet for sure.

I'm in a similar situation to you: 41 years old, a few months ago I lost 12 pounds due to pneumonia. I train karate three times a week with a heavy focus on sparring and cardio and I also do kettlebell lifts three times a week (two handed swings and curls vs. military press and front squats on alternating days) and on the final day I run. I'm a routine kind of guy, so I rarely miss a day, though I'm trying to teach myself to take a break when joints start to hurt etc.

Been doing this for a while now, and I find I am only very slowly regaining the mass I lost when I was sick. However, I really enjoy my karate and my run and would hate to put either on pause. It annoys me, though, that people don't believe I train very much due to the fact that I am super lean after the weight loss and I do sometimes feel like I should be seeing more visual results from all that effort. I also feel like a personal trainer would shake his head at my routine and say I have no real plan or clear goal, which is probably true.

On the upside, all my friends around my age are getting fat and round like pigs, while I'm a lean cord of muscle sort of like a snake.

No real advice to give, just similar experience.

I'm not a natural athlete either

source.gif

I'm in a similar situation to you: 41 years old, a few months ago I lost 12 pounds due to pneumonia. I train karate three times a week with a heavy focus on sparring and cardio and I also do kettlebell lifts three times a week (two handed swings and curls vs. military press and front squats on alternating days) and on the final day I run. I'm a routine kind of guy, so I rarely miss a day, though I'm trying to teach myself to take a break when joints start to hurt etc.

Been doing this for a while now, and I find I am only very slowly regaining the mass I lost when I was sick. However, I really enjoy my karate and my run and would hate to put either on pause. It annoys me, though, that people don't believe I train very much due to the fact that I am super lean after the weight loss and I do sometimes feel like I should be seeing more visual results from all that effort. I also feel like a personal trainer would shake his head at my routine and say I have no real plan or clear goal, which is probably true.

On the upside, all my friends around my age are getting fat and round like pigs, while I'm a lean cord of muscle sort of like a snake.

No real advice to give, just similar experience.
Thanks for posting your experience, it is helpful to hear someone in a similar situation. I agree that even if you don't look like you train it's better than sitting around getting fat n lazy. I guess it's just life that not everyone's gonna look like Romero no matter how hard we train. I'm gonna keep hunting for a routine which can include everything I enjoy while making gains. Good luck bro.

Having just turned 40 I realise it's kinda now or never to get the fittest I can with body health longevity in mind. I currently do BJJ 3 x per week, weights 3 x per week and running 2-4 x week.

My goal WAS to run an ultra this year but I realise that is a singular focus that takes a lot of time and effort. I want to gain a bit of size and also love BJJ so just running is no longer my goal. I also started losing significant weight, not necessarily because of running but I believe mainly cos I just don't feel hungry when running, unlike after weights or BJJ when I feel like eating heaps.

My new goal is to put on about 8kg (currently only 62kg), continue with BJJ as much as possible and maintain some decent level of running. I am doing basic lifts at the gym and eating around 3000 cals per day.

I really have ZERO idea what I'm doing with regards to putting together an effective training schedule while also eating enough to gain size. Am I trying to do too much? Any advice would be massively appreciated to get me in some kind of routine. I'm not a natural athlete either, just a dude who wants to realise the best version of myself.

45 year old here. Have been grappling off and on for 30 years (about 12 years total training) and like you have always lifted and ran on the side or as my focus. Used to run track and was a decent hobbyist runner until my mid 30's (5K PR 17:39). Between 15 and 40, I spent 3-5 days a week doing a chest/tri's + back/bi's bro split type routine to failure every set, with squats/deadlifts MAYBE once/month with crappy form.

That was complete bullshit. Here's the routine to gain mass and overall strength:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I started doing this routine at age 40 on a whim after finding it in a google search and it's been by far the best strength routine I've ever done (and I've tried a lot of bullshit bodybuilder type split routines over the past 30 years). They key is gradual progressive overload and frequency of squats/deadlifts (lifts I most hated). You have to start very light and develop clean form on the lifts before you can start going heavy and this routine programs for that.

For context, I've always been a hard gainer and have been 5' 9" ~165 lbs since age 21 while doing a lot of cardio. The heaviest I had ever been was 170. Like you said, running and grappling always suppressed my appetite and made me not want to eat. Two months after starting this 5x5 routine (only the lifting routine with no BJJ and no running), I was up to 185 lbs. I had gained fat but had also put on a lot of muscle and was hungry as shit all the time. Best thing is to keep gallons of whole milk in the fridge and chug a big glass whenever. Also keep beef or whatever leftovers to chow down on.

Squats and deadlifts are IME by far the most effective lifts for gaining size and strength. If you're trying to gain strength and you're NOT doing these lifts religiously, you're wasting your time. Currently I train BJJ 3x/week + 2 5x5 or 5x3 workouts/week. I cut back from 3 lifting sessions/week to two when the weights got heavier and I needed more recovery time. My hams, glutes and back are significantly stronger than before and this translates well in BJJ for guard passing, playing butterfly or half guard/knee shield and massively so in any kind of takedown.

Last edited:
Clicking on a new thread on the front page of a forum I read?
It's all good bro, just got the vibe you were fuckin with me cos I didn't understand the meme. I get it now and had a laugh. If you saw me you'd understand I am 100% all natural skin n bones (no picograms here).

45 year old here. Have been grappling off and on for 30 years (about 12 years total training) and like you have always lifted and ran on the side or as my focus. Used to run track and was a decent hobbyist runner until my mid 30's (5K PR 17:39). Between 15 and 40, I spent 3-5 days a week doing a chest/tri's + back/bi's bro split type routine to failure every set, with squats/deadlifts MAYBE once/month with crappy form.

That was complete bullshit. Here's the routine to gain mass and overall strength:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I started doing this routine at age 40 on a whim after finding it in a google search and it's been by far the best strength routine I've ever done (and I've tried a lot of bullshit bodybuilder type split routines over the past 30 years). They key is gradual progressive overload and frequency of squats/deadlifts (lifts I most hated). You have to start very light and develop clean form on the lifts before you can start going heavy and this routine programs for that.

For context, I've always been a hard gainer and have been 5' 9" ~165 lbs since age 21 while doing a lot of cardio. The heaviest I had ever been was 170. Like you said, running and grappling always suppressed my appetite and made me not want to eat. Two months after starting this 5x5 routine (only the lifting routine with no BJJ and no running), I was up to 185 lbs. I had gained fat but had also put on a lot of muscle and was hungry as shit all the time. Best thing is to keep gallons of whole milk in the fridge and chug a big glass whenever. Also keep beef or whatever leftovers to chow down on.

Squats and deadlifts are IME by far the most effective lifts for gaining size and strength. If you're trying to gain strength and you're NOT doing these lifts religiously, you're wasting your time. Currently I train BJJ 3x/week + 2 5x5 or 5x3 workouts/week. I cut back from 3 lifting sessions/week to two when the weights got heavier and I needed more recovery time. My hams, glutes and back are significantly stronger than before and this translates well in BJJ for guard passing, playing butterfly or half guard/knee shield and massively so in any kind of takedown.
Thanks heaps for your thorough reply, greatly appreciated! I actually did start the 5x5 a few years ago, great to hear it's worth looking back into. Pretty sure I even still have the app. I've looked at some routines that just feel too complex and not really helpful to BJJ or running but I am definitely going to get back into this. Thanks again and I will post results later in the year how it goes.

Thanks again and I will post results later in the year how it goes.

Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got, man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick, and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

Last edited:
Thanks heaps for your thorough reply, greatly appreciated! I actually did start the 5x5 a few years ago, great to hear it's worth looking back into. Pretty sure I even still have the app. I've looked at some routines that just feel too complex and not really helpful to BJJ or running but I am definitely going to get back into this. Thanks again and I will post results later in the year how it goes.

No worries. The thing with 5x5 and Starting Strength (similar program and almost the same thing) is you have to do the routine at LEAST twice and preferably 3 times/week as prescribed and start light enough where you can increase the weight on each lift by 5 lbs each session. There's something about doing squats 3 times/week that just amps up your metabolism and makes you really hungry and want to eat more. And assuming you're getting enough sleep, that leads to weight gain, increased strength and ability to lift even heavier weights.

For context when I was 185 I gassed out way faster than I used to. And my gastank was also shit when rolling BJJ. For the past 2 years I've stabilized at 170-175 lbs lifting twice/week + BJJ and I feel it's a good compromise between strength and cardio. But having been a hard gainer for the past 25 years, it's great knowing I can easily gain strength and size if I want to, just by eating more and lifting heavier. And I don't do PED's other than creatine.

Last edited:
Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got, man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick, and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.
Haha I dunno if you're taking the piss or what. I'm not trying to get thick n tight or whatever, I just wanna be my best self. I truly hope you are motivated cos age catches up real quick.

No worries. The thing with 5x5 and Starting Strength (similar program and almost the same thing) is you have to do the routine at LEAST twice and preferably 3 times/week as prescribed and start light enough where you can increase the weight on each lift by 5 lbs each session. There's something about doing squats 3 times/week that just amps up your metabolism and makes you really hungry and want to eat more. And assuming you're getting enough sleep, that leads to weight gain, increased strength and ability to lift even heavier weights.

For context when I was 185 I gassed out way faster than I used to. And my gastank was also shit when rolling BJJ. For the past 2 years I've stabilized at 170-175 lbs lifting twice/week + BJJ and I feel it's a good compromise between strength and cardio. But having been a hard gainer for the past 25 years, it's great knowing I can easily gain strength and size if I want to, just by eating more and lifting heavier. And I don't do PED's other than creatine.
3 times a week sounds good cos I feel I can fit that in with my other training as well as work and family life. Gaining size means nothing compared to time spent with my loved ones and I do like that the 5 x 5 is something I can do at home with my basic set up.

I feel my gas tank is pretty good at BJJ so far (maybe not so compared to blue belt and beyond) because of my running. I'm definitely a hard gainer with my natural weight around 65kg and takes a fair amount of eating to gain weight. I have gained 3kg in the last week though focusing hard on exceeding expending calories so hopefully I can keep it up. I will 100% be starting 5 x 5 tomorrow.

I only use protein as a supplement and just started creatine loading. I have used Beastdrol about 15 years ago.... that stuff definitely works but I have no desire to use anything like that again. I just want to be fit and stronger, vanity and ego has nothing to do with it.

Damn, bro. That’s intense. How many scoops per day?
LOL. Was clarifying because if someone had told me 5 years ago I could gain 20 lbs in 2 months with commensurate increase in strength WITHOUT PEDs, I would have said they're full of shit. Full disclosure in my early 20's I started a cycle of dbol and stopped after 10 days. My buddies were doing stacks of dbol, equipoise and winstrol and blew up over the summer. I didn't like the way it killed my cardio and frankly it made me feel like shit.

At age 40, just eating, getting adequate sleep and lifting 5x5 I had similar size and strength gains naturally without feeling bloated. Just eating clean and training smart has kept me competitive with the 25 year olds at BJJ. Sure if I ever get to the point where I need a pep talk just to get up and take a shit, I'll go on TRT like some of the other older guys at my gym but no plans to do so anytime soon.

If he wasn’t forty I’d bitch at the running part of your statement. I’m forty and lift heavy while running 3 miles every other day.
Beef
Lots of beef
High protein for small portions

supplement with meal replacement / protein shakes, they're easier to choke down.

Making healthy shakes with protein powder is fine, but pre made stuff is usually loaded with sugar and garbage.

Making healthy shakes with protein powder is fine, but pre made stuff is usually loaded with sugar and garbage.
Surprisingly the pharmacy at my office has very low carb powders that don’t taste like ass.

Back