Just survived first boxing sparring session.

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
And when I mean first, first official. I've sparred with a friend and did light sparing before with a pro. But this was my first session whith real power. The good. I survived. Didn't panic. Defended enough to have my face look completely fine. Landed multiple jabs. The bad. Got lit the **** up. Each round started well I jabbed. Moved. But when pressured my defence was not holding up. Got tagged multiple times. Just couldn't figure out how to get off the ropes with getting handled. Also, only spared against a 16 year old who has been training hard for years. And for 2 rounds an amature female boxer... I definitely did better against her. I'm not discouraged though because I tried hard and my face looks fine. And I only have slight chest pain from getting hit there. Just reporting in and seeing if any advice for my second time.

Good going, maybe its a bit early to spar hard, i mean you will learn and get better but it will be the hard way.

I think in sparing and fights obviously depending on your style, thee point is to not take any damage. The key for me atleast was to just get lose and fluid in my movement to be able to evade strikes and be able to move in and out easily and if caught against the ropes it is for a second before circling out.
My advise is to look at the pros like maywheather, klitcko's and see how fluid and calm they are.
Be relaxed and fight naturally in rythm.
Many people are stiff ans charge forward with memorised 3-4 punch combos and are easily countered. Understand you distance management and god thing that you are aorking the jab becasue it is the most important stirke in boxing i think.

I think getting yourself away from the ropes is difficult no matter what age/experience level you are at. With so much weight on your back leg trying to evade punches, and to move is very difficult thing. Good job!

Sparring is about learning, rack some experience points, try new techniques... It's not about winning. So don't let that bother you. Don't compare how you did in sparring with your opponent. Forget about that.

For beginners, sparring is for them to get a feel how they react under pressure. If you don't panic and defend yourself smartly, it's the first most important step in my opinion. Anything else will come with experience.

To get out of the ropes when been pressured, it's not easy against more experienced fighters, but you can try some tricks:
-Clinch, and before the ref breaks it, turn away from the ropes. That way, after the break your back is no more toward the ropes and you can make a few step back. If done right you may even turn all the way and put your opponent against the ropes.
-Learn how to use the ropes to get some space.
-Practice pivoting in a tight space.
-Pivot while hooking.
-Learn how to disrupt flurries from pressure fighters.

But the most important is to learn no to be pressured to the ropes. Footwork, pivots, movement feints, solid jab to interrupt the forward pressure...

Other more experienced in boxing will probably have some other tricks, but ask your coaches too. That's what they're paid for.

And when I mean first, first official. I've sparred with a friend and did light sparing before with a pro. But this was my first session whith real power. The good. I survived. Didn't panic. Defended enough to have my face look completely fine. Landed multiple jabs. The bad. Got lit the **** up. Each round started well I jabbed. Moved. But when pressured my defence was not holding up. Got tagged multiple times. Just couldn't figure out how to get off the ropes with getting handled. Also, only spared against a 16 year old who has been training hard for years. And for 2 rounds an amature female boxer... I definitely did better against her. I'm not discouraged though because I tried hard and my face looks fine. And I only have slight chest pain from getting hit there. Just reporting in and seeing if any advice for my second time.

A lot of the defensive issues are probably just getting used to getting hit. It's hard not to get overwhelmed when you start sparring hard, but after a while the shots stop making you panic a little and just become feedback, and if you're training right you'll be able to take a shot and still slip the next one. Also, as you get used to getting hit and are able to keep your head about you enough to start slipping in counters, guys won't be able to just back you up against the ropes and tee off on you as easily so you won't have to worry about defending nothing but 5-6 punch combos. Getting off the ropes is an art in itself, guys like Mayweather, Pernell Whitaker, Roy Jones Jr, and Winkny Wright are all good people to watch for how to do that.

Good going, maybe its a bit early to spar hard, i mean you will learn and get better but it will be the hard way.

I think in sparing and fights obviously depending on your style, thee point is to not take any damage. The key for me atleast was to just get lose and fluid in my movement to be able to evade strikes and be able to move in and out easily and if caught against the ropes it is for a second before circling out.
My advise is to look at the pros like maywheather, klitcko's and see how fluid and calm they are.
Be relaxed and fight naturally in rythm.
Many people are stiff ans charge forward with memorised 3-4 punch combos and are easily countered. Understand you distance management and god thing that you are aorking the jab becasue it is the most important stirke in boxing i think.
A couple of weeks ago I went in the ring and just didn't want to be hit so I just defend with hit and move and was so nervous.

y u sparring hard.

You want a broken ass fuckin face?

Ain't no one wanna market an ugly ass broken face

Back