Just started training Muay Thai

samurai4287

Green Belt
Reaction score
I found out I was able to change my contract, since I will be upgrading it, and will now be trianing in Muay Thai, along with wrestling and jiu jitsu. Anyways, what are some good exercises, stretches, tips, et cetera, to get a consistent high headkick. I have the basic technique down....I am 6'1, 185 pounds, but I can barely reach someones shoulder (who is of the same height), and when I do, I can definitely feel the strain.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say: Don't fckin worry about the head-kick when you start. Seems like every mofo that starts learning MT in the US just wants to kick people in the head.

Jesus. Learn how to throw a kick hard and properly before you start kicking at the top of your range.

I found out I was able to change my contract, since I will be upgrading it, and will now be trianing in Muay Thai, along with wrestling and jiu jitsu. Anyways, what are some good exercises, stretches, tips, et cetera, to get a consistent high headkick. I have the basic technique down....I am 6'1, 185 pounds, but I can barely reach someones shoulder (who is of the same height), and when I do, I can definitely feel the strain.

Work on your basics... head kick is not that critical nor will you be able to practice it alot right now (unless your school is ridiculous and allows head kicks for begginer sparring or some shit like that). Stretch, eat, stretch.

Sit on the floor legs stretched out, grab one ankle and try to slowly get your nose as low as possible (make sure it's a continuous move) and when it hurts too much just stop moving, then grab the other ankle, then both ankles, and repeat.

You can also stand in the same position and bend one knee then the other.

I have found a picture.

Lief%20Nerve%20Stretch%20Front%20kl.JPG

Some people swear by this:
stretch.jpg

But I don't. I have a good headkick, have knocked out several guys in competition with it. But I am very tall so that helps. My only advice is remember kicking starts from the ground and works its way up.

Start with the leg kick. When you've got a handle on that move to a body kick. When you've got a handle on that start working in the head kick.

Remember to be up on the ball of your stationary foot as high as you can. And remember the back leg must be bent some. A lot of guys straighten their leg hoping to get some extra heighth from that. But it closes their hips and lowers their leg.

Point your knee where you want your shin to go and it will follow.

Remember the head kick will always have les power then your other kicks. That is normal, but it doesn't take much for a heavy ass leg and unpadded shin to KO someone.

Don't go too fast. I'd say throw the leg and body kick (with both legs) at least a thousand times with proper technique before even starting with the head kick. It is a hard kick to throw. Take your time. And a poorly executed head kick is a recipe for disaster as far as being countered. I know more counters for headkicks then anything else that I can think of. All of them are brutal.

If your properly work your way up you wont be throwing headkicks in sparring for at least 6 months to a year. And 6 months means you're a fast ass learner!!!

Here is a nice link for flexibility stretches, but as already pointed out, DONT start with the head kicks.

I'd learn mid-kicks first for proper technique, then get a mean low-kick and then go for the head kicks. Head kicks are fun, but it's an advanced technique and easy to counter if you dont do it right/set it up properly.

anybody ever try to get out of a contract with your gym? my gym said they would freeze a membership account for a few months timeframe indicated on paper and signed, but im not sure how strict they are like if they will start billing it automatically again after the freeze period. what do you guys think?

If they are freezing it, they will in fact start billing at the end of the freeze period. That's why its a freeze and not a cancellation

Yoga..but learn the basics first

Stretching Scientifically - Thomas Kurtz

End thread.

ummmm....if you train for a while in Muay Thai you will be able to land a headkick. Just learn to kick first then kick high. There really isn't much to it. So, my advice would be to do a lot of bag and mitt/pad work, and practice kicking high, and throw like a million kicks. Then get back to me if you still can't throw a headkick. Some better advice to ask for would be how to setup a high kick or bodykick, etc.

Yeah don't worry about headkicks just yet.
They'll come in time.
Just do lots of um...kicking.

Back