just started kickboxing and...

gliza1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
well, i've been doing jj for a while now but i've never done any standup so i started trainnig at a kick boxing gym last week and tonight was my second night back. i have a few questions for you seasoned boxers and kickboxers:

1.i go two rounds and i'm gassed. the last minute and a half of the second i'm looking at the clock wishing for the round to be over. did anybody else have this problem when they first started and how long did it take for you to up your stamina? what did you do to help increase stamina?

2. we went over leg kicks today and when i got into the ring to spar and incorporate what i learned, after a few kicks to my opponents thigh, my shit hurt to all hell-and i had shin pads on. my instructor wasn't chekcing the kicks-he was just leaning into my kicks. is this also something that you guys experienced when you started? also, what kind of body hardning technices did you use to increase the pain resistance to your shin?

all help will be appreciated. you know how it is when you first start training something. you're not confident in your skills and think you suck because basically...well, you suck. thanks fellas....and maybe ladies.

Throwing strikes is a bit different from grappling. Don't worry, your conditioning will come eventually. Your shins will also harden after a while.

Yay for destroying nerve endings!

1. Your stamina will not be as good as you want it to be for a while. Also, another beginners mistake is wasting energy. Heaving with your strikes, being all tensed up, holding your breath, etc.

2. To condition your shins, just kick on the heavy bag every time you're in the gym. It will suck and it will hurt for a while, my shins actually bled when I was first conditioning them. And yes, your shins can bleed.

i thought i would be conditioned since i do jj but i was surprised to be as tired as i was in the second. the first three minutes i'm good. after that, forget about it.

gliza1 said:
i thought i would be conditioned since i do jj but i was surprised to be as tired as i was in the second. the first three minutes i'm good. after that, forget about it.
Stamina needed for grappling and for striking is very very different.

Most seasoned strikers would die after two minutes of real grappling, if it makes you feel any better.

But your body is very adaptable, and as long as you keep training hard, it will catch up.

well, this is my weekly schedule: monday-kickboxing. tuesday-jj. wednesday-kickboxing. thursday-jj. friday-kickobxing. saturday-jj. sunday-break.

is this enough time kickboxing to adapt or do i need to invest more time soley to kickboxing...cause i don't want to pay 50 dollars a month for something i'm not going improve in, but i really don't want to stop grappling.

gliza1 said:
well, this is my weekly schedule: monday-kickboxing. tuesday-jj. wednesday-kickboxing. thursday-jj. friday-kickobxing. saturday-jj. sunday-break.

is this enough time kickboxing to adapt or do i need to invest more time soley to kickboxing...cause i don't want to pay 50 dollars a month for something i'm not going improve in, but i really don't want to stop grappling.
That schedule is doable, but quite hardcore.

I really suggest easing into it over the course of several weeks instead of just jumping in head-first, or you will seriously overtrain and then you won't be good for anything anymore.

Ease up on the grappling for a couple of weeks, and only do two kickboxing sessions a week, then increase the intensity over the course of a few weeks. Otherwise you may just wear yourself out.

I had a problem getting gassed pretty quickly when I first started. Nothing helped me quite like more sparring. Just add some cardio to your routine. Burpees and jump rope work very well for me.

Back