Just started boxing/kickboxing

grchrampage

White Belt
Reaction score
ive wrestled in school when i was a kid i was pretty good but its been over ten yrs since then i weight train but just joined a real fighting dojo. im doing boxing twice a week and kickboxing twice a week. my cardio is terrible and balance too. is it this hard to get the pivet of the foot when you punch right for all beginners? im really discouraged its ben 3 wks now i know its take months if not yrs but i feel so akward. the sensai wont let me grapple till i get a standup and grappling is really what i wanted to do. any advice guys?

Like anything it takes a while to learn to get all the pieces moving together correctly. How long, well that depends on the person. I saw some brand new people move out of the intro class (kickboxing) in a month others were in for 4-6 months. The regular attendees moved in 2-3 months. That's the point when you have each individual move down with decent mechanics and are ready to start stringing together combos with footwork.

Question: what are your goals? You stated "grappling is really what i wanted to do". Is that exclusively or are you trying to develop a MMA game? If all you want to do is grapple find a place or class that just grapples (BJJ, judo, CSW,...)

Yea..give it some time..The pivot came pretty natrual to me but I had a hard time with othewr things when I first started..namely learning to use my left hand effectivly..Just give it some time and if you can work with your trainers as much as possible

I'm not sure how you're working on everything, but I would say just go slow and make sure your doing everything right. Since you've just started don't try to throw every shot with KO power and don't try to throw everything with lightning speed. Doing those things won't get you anywhere. You need to be patient, you won't learn everything overnight (or in 3 weeks). Concentrate on getting the techniques down right now then add speed and power later.

1- practice
2- remove your ego from your training, don't worry about being the best or who moved up quicker than you, just worry about getting better
3- ask questions of your sensei and the higher ranked (or just better) students
4- practice
5- concentrate on technique and not power
6- relax
7- go often
8- have fun in your training
9- practice
10- you know what I'm going to say..

Where on the Jersey shore are you and what school are you going to?

grchrampage said:
ive wrestled in school when i was a kid i was pretty good but its been over ten yrs since then i weight train but just joined a real fighting dojo. im doing boxing twice a week and kickboxing twice a week. my cardio is terrible and balance too. is it this hard to get the pivet of the foot when you punch right for all beginners? im really discouraged its ben 3 wks now i know its take months if not yrs but i feel so akward. the sensai wont let me grapple till i get a standup and grappling is really what i wanted to do. any advice guys?
It will take you sometime to learn all aspects of the boxin footwork but dont worry it will come.
To help your progress-
practice footwork in front of mirror evaluate yourself honestly then try to fix holes
Video tape yourself shadow boxing then view it with coach and have him point out holes.
Just doing one or both of these you will see progress fast

3 weeks isn't nearly enough time to develop the co-ordination needed to strike well. Keep at it, talk to us 6 months from now and see how different you feel.

Back