Just started BJJ - How Can I Help My Hip Flexibility?

Staring At Fate

Refuse To Lose.
Reaction score
Title says it all when I'm rolling I'm finding it extremely hard to move on the ground how I want to. My instructor told me it comes with time but man is it giving me trouble

Your instructor is right. Do you think most people start BJJ and suddenly start moving exactly how they want to?

The answer is no, they do not.

yoga will open up your hips, but the truth is that BJJ requires a combination of flexibility and mobility. It's an explosiveness thing even if you have very flexible hips.

just keep doing the stretches you are probably doing before class for your legs etc,

and with time technique will enable you to overcome some of the problems your having with your hips, ie realising to move your body out to allow more reach for your legs, you THINK its your hips but its just positioning correctly for the move(Triangle for example)

get the ryan hall stretching dvd it's fantastic.

ryanhallstretching.jpg

this stretch in combination with the standard butterfly was how I got to be able easily put my foot behind my head

Thanks for posting the vids..

I'm not a very flexible person naturally but have benefited a lot from yoga and basic stretches recommended all the time on here. Just two things:

(1) I agree with others that with time your body will move better and it will feel more comfortable. For me that started to really click after about a year of training. Granted, I still sucked, but I just mean I could shift my hips, spread my legs wide (that feels so weird to write), etc.

(2) I make it a point to stretch often, including during class. While my instructor is demonstrating a move I'm almost always doing some kind of stretch, even if it's just sitting with my knees folded, while still paying attention.

I have a friend who is incredibly flexible and attributes it all to rolling over the years, in that his body just adapted over time to him trying to get his knees higher and what not. I've never seen him stretch so who knows.

stretching is the easiest physical attribute you can gain.

some people on this web forum disagree with the necessity of being flexible, to the point where they claim you "don't need it at all" (usually in rubber guard threads). I would love to see these people get put into a deep-ass double underpass and then claim that being flexible doesn't help.

while this isn't an argument for rubber guard in the least, people seem to think that being flexible is really that hard to get. all you have to do is keep pushing yourself to hold deep stretches.

being mad flexible is NEVER a bad thing. if your opponent is also flexible, it's not bad for you at all. unlike with strength.

it makes everything easier in bjj, from escapes to sweeps, having flexible dexterous legs is always an advantage

in the end, 3-5 times a week stretch for atleast 40 minutes a day

to get good hip mobility just practice shrimping as much as you can. it'll all make sense one day

Back