just started BJJ, any tips or suggestions?

saugeye killah

No need rope hold up pants.
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm 38 years old, so I'm basically a fossil. Tried to get my daughter into it, she didn't really care for it too much. It is my old friend's academy, so I gave it a try. First class kicked my ass bad. I was dying after the warm-up. Learned guillotine escapes. Legs and neck hurt all week, loved it though.

Next week learned bear hug escapes and side control escapes. Wasn't nearly as sore this time. Learned a cool Ronda Rousey judo throw.

Anyway, this stuff is pretty expensive. Not sure how long I'll be able to justify it to my wife, but I do like it. How can I get the most out of it, and what should I know?

expensive? It's like $100 per month, get the most out of it by training a lot, always learning, staying in shape and what not. At the very least it's a fun hobbby

Get the most out of it by doing whatever's the most fun for you, or gets you toward your goals (getting in shape? self-defense?)

I'd say focus on the escaping the bottom of the basic positions: mount, back mount, side control, half guard, guard (though being on the bottom in guard isn't really bad). And learn 1-2 submissions to do once you're on top in each of those positions, as well as from on the bottom in guard. But you don't have to make up a curriculum to achieve this, the instructor is going to make sure to teach you the basics of each position already.

when you are rolling, make a conscious effort to hit the moves you've worked on

Always be using all of your limbs and preferably your head too. If you have a limb chilling and doing nothing and the other guy is using all 5, he has a 20% advantage on you.

Everything in grappling comes from the hips.

expensive is very true. looking at probably close to $1200+ per year on fees alone, not to mention gear, subscriptions, privates, seminars, time spent traveling and in class, watching videos, inevitable injuries (hopefully not too serious), medical, supplements, painkillers, the jiu jitsu "lifestyle" stuff... definitely an expensive hobby.

I'd say the most important thing is to show up consistently. Things will eventually fall into place for your unique style, body, temperament.

Expensive is relative. If you were sedentary before beginning BJJ, you're saving a lot of long-term healthcare costs by getting into shape. Plus the mental health benefits.

They will respect you more if you don't tap. You can tell them to your friends like some war stories.

Just go out there and have fun. As long as you're having fun, it's money well spent.

Also, a BJJ training partner willing to drill is worth their weight in gold. If you find one, stick to them like glue.
expensive? It's like $100 per month

You don't know the man's monthly expenses.

Shit, I make pretty good money and don't have a wife or kids, and I still cringe at some of these BJJ school prices.

expensive? It's like $100 per month, get the most out of it by training a lot, always learning, staying in shape and what not. At the very least it's a fun hobbby

Spoken like a man without wife and kids. :)

Anyhow TS. Show up regularly, Show up on time, and listen to your coach first and foremost.

Be careful about information overload. Every two stripe white belt will be throwing you advice and while most of it won't be bad, a lot of it will be irrelevant to what you need.

Honestly, roll as much as you can and your body will figure things out before your brain does.

Don't get discouraged and don't quit, period.

Learn how to tap and tap often. The higher belts don't think less of you as a person cause they can easily beat you. They were put in those specific situations (on the mats) thousands of times more than you, so it's normal that you feel powerless against them. They were in your situation at some point when they started training.

The worst mindset you can have as a beginner is to question what you are learning because you weren't able to nail that move you just learned in sparring on a 3-stripe blue or purple belt who has been training for years.

Don't train injured. Take breaks if you have small injuries so they don't turn in bigger, more serious injuries.

Last but not least. Enjoy the journey. It will change your life.

You don't know the man's monthly expenses.

Shit, I make pretty good money and don't have a wife or kids, and I still cringe at some of these BJJ school prices.

Spoken like a man without wife and kids. :)

True and sorry, I'm assuming someone that age will have more disposable income and that the benefit you get out of training is worth the money. Anyways I'm a full time student + work part time, and I mow lawns twice a month to pay for it so if you really want to train, there's definitely a way.

IMO buy all of Ryan Hall's DVDs or get Grapplers Guide

So much Gold material if you can afford it.

TS,

First of all, just train. Ask questions - you can learn from pretty much anyone there who has more experience than you, and probably some that dont. Be humble, tap and remember that its not worth being injured.

Now... on to the hard part...This is how you justify it to your wife:

1. You'll be in better shape. Because of that you'll be happier. Happiness, to me at least, is priceless.

2. Cut corners if you need to. For me, I'd rather train on a friday night than go out. Especially with having a 10 year old step son and one on the way - there's no drinking going on in our house anyway.

3. You have to figure if you cook one night a week, you'll save a good 30-50 dollars a week(depending on what you order - chinese and pizza are expensive). If money was tight, I'd just cook a meal one day. If you do that one time per week, that's about 120-200 bucks you've saved for the month.

It really depends on how much you like it. When I started I was enamored with it. Then again, I was single, no kids at the time... When I got married, it was understood that this hobby was something I was going to continue, so I/we budgeted.

Shit happens, though. I'm out of training now... just moved and bought a business in the area... so I'm waiting to get everything in order so I can go back to training soon. The schools are all like a half hour a way...which is far for me. I'm spoiled - I grew up on Long Island where everything is close.

Good luck.

Back