Just seen....Caceres vs Faber?

i don't understand the matchmaking. faber's on another level. caceres should be fighting second tier guys

Meh, the UFC can hype somebody into a title shot with a 1 or 2 win streak.

But it does the devalue the champ's wins, fighting guys who have loses from the gatekeeper's first.

I agree 100% been wondering what they were thinking ever since they booked it and why the hell did Caceras accept the fight?

He has to know this doesn't end well for him...

Because he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. If he loses, he was supposed to lose. If he wins, he's a major contender.

Plus, guys like Caceres don't exactly get to pick and choose their fights.

Believe it or not some guy on twitter told Caceras he should fight Faber and Caceras said it would be an honor to fight Urijah. And tweeted Faber and said how bout it? The fight was booked a few days later.

Urijah wins this via being exponentially better everywhere.

The official UFC batamweight rakings and their fighting history with Faber :

1 Renan Barao : fought him twice
2 Urijah Faber
3 Raphael Assuncao : already beaten, injured
4 Michael McDonald : already beaten
5 Eddie Wineland : already beaten
6 Takeya Mizugaki : already beaten
7 Iuri Alcantara : already beaten
8 Mike Easton : on a three fights losing streak
9 Johnny Eduardo : just came back from a two year layoff
10 Dominick Cruz : fought twice, injured
11 Francisco Rivera
12 Erik Perez : scheduled to fight Carraway
13 Alex Caceres
14 Bryan Caraway : scheduled to fight Perez
15 Wilson Reis

It's a mismatch but it makes sense because Faber is in a weird position where he cleared a division without having the belt. Caceres has also a nice streak and I doubt people would have been happier if Faber fought Rivera or Reis instead...

I like both guys... wouldn't mind Caceres pulling the upset but it likely won't happen. Just a test to step up in competition for him, and he is popular so matching him up with Faber could create an interesting match ups in the eyes of some fans.

Because he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. If he loses, he was supposed to lose. If he wins, he's a major contender.

Plus, guys like Caceres don't exactly get to pick and choose their fights.

This. If he were to beat Faber, a perennial top 3, he'd be knocking on the door of a title shot. It's a great opportunity for him.

Seems odd from both sides. Doesn't seem like a win that would justify a title shot for either. Caceres is not high enough.
I suspect leeroy saw something in the barao 2 fight he can exploit.
He's probably working hard angles and sprawls. I would like to see a 3rd round triangle

Weird match up and doesn't make any sense ranking wise. i believe Faber is #2 ranked and Alex is like #12 or something. Maybe Alex just begged for the fight, b/c i doubt Faber begged for it.

Don't get me wrong id love to see a big upset here its one of the things that makes this sport great, but I dont see Caceres as far enough along in his career to take on a guy like Faber

Losing badly could have bad effects on his confidence going forward

I agree. Caceres' unorthodox striking can look good against lower ranked fighters but it will not work against Urijah. Neither will his grappling.

I like watching Bruce Leeroy fight too, but to me this fight has the feeling of Mendes vs Mckenzie when you look at it, bad match making imo

There were other people to match Caceres with
Alex called out Faber. The UFC didn't suggest this matchup.

While I'm picking Faber to win this matchup, comparing Alex to McKenzie is kind of dumb. This isn't even close to being in the same ballpark of mismatches as Mendes/McKenzie was. Would you prefer that Faber just pick off all other potential title contenders?

you have to bring new talent into the top ten, thats the way things work, I look forward to this fight

Is anyone picking Caceras? Just curious. Haven't seen anyone pick him.

We gonna find out if Caceres is real or just another fighter on tha ufc roster

Back