Just saw The Prestige for the first time...Spoilers

Agreed but not by much I think they're both great movies.

Agreed, really? Interesting. I think The Illusionist is a GOOD movie . . . The Prestige is a GREAT one.

To be fair though, I should probably go back and re-watch The Illusionist. I haven't seen it since I watched it in the theater.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's the guy other people keep referring to as Fallon.

Whether you figured out he was Fallon in the first place, the real magic is going back and watching how Bale plays both Alfred and Freddy, and they are quite different. It's the same with Hugh Jackman as Root, who is utterly different from either Angier or Cadlow. Even though I knew Root was Jackman, he plays Root with such aplomb compared to the discipline of Angier and detachment of Cadlow that it feels like a wholly different actor.

I love how betrayal and deceit works its way into the heart; how truth must also be employed to more effectively lie, and the course of such action is an irrevocably transformative process.

There are few films that so effectively capture the tone and form of its theme. Nolan tries with every one of his films, but I think THE PRESTIGE is his most successful.
giphy.gif

tumblr_npuzglHmOi1qe121bo1_1280.jpg

Agreed, really? Interesting. I think Illusionist is a GOOD movie . . . The Prestige is a GREAT one.

To be fair though, I should probably go back and re-watch The Illusionist. I haven't seen it since I watched it in the theater.
It's got a moody muted color palette with a vignette effect that makes it feel like it's old-timey. I believe the color blue might be absent? Some primary. It handles the material pretty well, except for using CGI to recreate illusions that could have have been done practically.

My main beef was with Rufus Sewell's character, who was portrayed as being unsavory but I wasn't sure he did enough to deserve the treatment he got. It almost as if the other people were the villains, and he was just hard-to-like.

I think the Sylvain Chomet cartoon is much better, but it's fucking maudlin like only the French can be.

Agreed, really? Interesting. I think Illusionist is a GOOD movie . . . The Prestige is a GREAT one.

Illusionist sucked because it used CGI. Defeated the story.

Yea I just feel like the illuisionist had a better overall story. I just recently watched the prestige and I remember the illusionist very well so they are both fresh in my mind. They are very close though IMO so someone saying Prestige is better doesn't shock me.

The Prestige is the definitive deus ex machina cop out movie.

I never liked the cloning machine part of the movie. Seemed like a cop out for the sake of making the plot work, I think the term is deus ex machina.

I mean, Telsa making the cloning machine came out of left field and that it was a lazy plot device to make the trick work.

Tesla's machine wasn't a deus ex machina. I saw it as representing the culmination of Angier's obsession.
Angier was looking for a shortcut.
"Sacrifice, that's the price of a good trick"
"To be a great magician you have to be willing to get your hands dirty".

Now here's a machine that seems to circumvent the rules and perform REAL magic. But it turns out that real magic requires the dirtiest hands of all...

Tesla's machine wasn't a deus ex machina.
People are using the term incorrectly.

I think they mean they don't like that the film intermingles elements from different genres, not so much that it contrivedly changes the trajectory of the story. There's a shift in gears, but not to the story just the mode.

I agree with everything you said otherwise.

I never liked the cloning machine part of the movie. Seemed like a cop out for the sake of making the plot work, I think the term is deus ex machina.

I mean, Telsa making the cloning machine came out of left field and that it was a lazy plot device to make the trick work.
That's not a good use of the term at all. One of the main points of the movie is what lengths these obsessed individuals go to to accomplish what they do. The machine isn't a way of making the plot go as the writer wants, the machine is the the main point itself, and it's intertwined with the whole story. Many don't like it because they thought they were watching a less weird movie, and that's fair enough, but it's neither a deus ex machina, nor without foreshadowing (with the hats), nor in any way peripheral to the central story.

Ok, bad news, you have no idea of what deus ex machina is or you have not understood the movie.
*** I am assuming you are saying this because of tesla's machine and not the bale character being twins (we are constantly told how he behaves different by women in the story--this is suggested throughout the whole movie)

You took the very simple definition and applied it here

"Deus ex machina is a calque from Greek meaning "god from the machine".The term has evolved to mean a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability or object. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

But this is not enough to truly grasp the idea. Was warp speed the deus ex machina of Star Wars?

now read further down the wiki page to truly understand DEM

"Aristotle was the first to use deus ex machina as a term to describe the technique as a device to resolve the plot of tragedies. It is generally deemed undesirable in writing and often implies a lack of creativity on the part of the author. The reasons for this are that it does not pay due regard to the story's internal logic (although it is sometimes deliberately used to do this) and is often so unlikely that it challenges suspension of disbelief, allowing the author to conclude the story with an unlikely, though perhaps more palatable, ending."

ok, so here goes

Jackman tries to figure out how Bale is doing his trick. That is the overall question of the movie.
Jackman finds Tesla and somehow Tesla has a cloning machine.
Tesla having a cloning machine is not DEM.

This is not a cheat answer to main problem presented by the movie.
It is an answer that IN THE REAL WORLD IS UNLIKELY FROM WHAT WE CURRENTLY KNOW just like Warp Speed.
But it is not the crazy answer that resolves the central problem of the movie.

Tesla's machine actually solves ZERO problems. Jackman goes on thinking this is how Bale did his trick.
And ultimately ends up losing because he does not know.

Again, lets go back to Aristotle "a device to resolve the plot of tragedies"
- Ask yourself, did Tesla's machine resolve the plot of the tragedy? Or did the fact that Bale have a twin the hole time actually resolve the plot???

Now compare that to your poor understanding of DEM being "a seemingly unsolvable problem"-- you could literally have 20 DEMs in a movie if this is how you define it, which is fucking ridiculous. Fucking LOTR would be a landfill of DEMs.

Not to pick on you, but shit like this is really endemic of people now. They hear these words and maybe they wiki them, but they do not truly understand them.

So sick of hearing strawman and etc when they really do not apply at all, but they read a sentence about a complex idea and think they understand it.

Back