Just saw The Prestige for the first time...Spoilers

Brilliant film! No point trying to convince me against this opinion either...

Wait, what are you even getting at here? You say something wildly inaccurate, soooooooo, what?

I mean, you're wrong since it was not perfectly executed in the first place. Point in case: the third act. Not to mention the characters had less depth and emotion than a puddle.

The Prestige in a nutshell: Hugh Jackman trolling Christian Bale trolling Hugh Jackman. And never once is it engaging, nor is Nolan's attempt at a sleight of hand maneuver executed with a deft hand. It's a muddled slog after the first hour. Nolan only knows how to work in exposition. That is not perfect execution, sorry.
O Henry, love means never having to say you're sorry, but apology accepted anyway.

Listen, I get you wanna be like Rebecca Hall and say stuff like once you know how it all works it isn't all that impressive. That's okay. Sometimes we can't see the magic for the technique. Sometimes we beguile ourselves with notions we've conjured up ourselves.

Nolan isn't a great director, but he's honest and he tries. He tends to hammer home his point a little too hard, but it works for the form of stage magic and the god forsaken Obsession that powers it. Here he has constructed a magic trick in plain view. Emotionally dissatisfying, maybe, but ain't that just the way when you pull back the curtain...

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

You never understood why we did this. The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special. You really don't know? It was... it was the look on their faces...

Truth vs Wonder.

Brilliant film! No point trying to convince me against this opinion either...

I never understood the hate that movie gets. I thought it was a great film and watched it a second time right after the first viewing just to catch everything.

*shamefully raises hand*

I didn't notice the first time.

Second viewing I thought "how did I not see it? It's so obvious". Damn Nolan and his trickery.

Great fuckin' movie, regardless.

It's because you want to be fooled.:wink:

I am not one to try to figure out a movie. I see it as a work of art and am trying to observe and appreciate it. I don't even bother trying to figure out a movie really until it is over.

Really, so are you saying they never appeared on screen at the same time? If so, do you think they did special effects to get CB in two places at one time or do you think someone else played him in those scenes.

Also, the characters saw both CB and Folwer at the same time.
Therefore we are to think they are 2 separate people, which they are.

PS- no one is believing the BS of your OP.

obviously it was the twin brother only way the transporter trick would have worked.

Im awful at guessing twists and I guessed it was Bale. Maybe its because im interested in who the actors are in these kind of movies. And they already got you thinking in that way when hugh jackman wore a fake nose to play that drunken actor.

I still really liked the movie though, there is enough in it to make me overlook the obvious twist and the fact that david bowie doesnt just make infinite money

I knew something was up with Fallon, but I missed it. It seems so simple in retrospect, but I think they just really did a GREAT job with makeup.

One of the best movies I've ever seen. Such an excellent epic tale of two magicians. The Nolan bros really give their absolute best to storytelling; I came out of that movie with a great appreciation for magic.

Of course, in the end, we saw that, while both were excellent magicians, Borden/Fallon was/were the true magician(s).

The Illusionist > The Prestige

I've been on sherdog for 12 years and can honestly say that this is the first post to rustle my jimmies.

images

I didn't notice and when I saw it again a couple years later I had forgotten and got twisted by it again

I didn't feel like my enjoyment of that movie hinged on that being a great reveal.

Good movie, but dumb ending.

Stage magic made possible with Tesla-science (aka magic). The twins were okay. Steampunk science magiclones were not.

Good movie, but dumb ending.

Stage magic made possible with Tesla-science (aka magic). The twins were okay. Steampunk science magiclones were not.

I thought that was a nice and pretfy original take on sciencefiction. If you want someone who is founded in the past but want to have him sci-fi things up, who better than Tesla?

I thought that was a nice and pretfy original take on sciencefiction. If you want someone who is founded in the past but want to have him sci-fi things up, who better than Tesla?

That shit's played out, meng. Tesla's been the go-to guy for steampunk sciencemagic for some time now. TV, movies, comic books, video games, for a while, it was all Tesla all the time.

So you made this thread to .. what ? At least give your opinion about the movie.

That shit's played out, meng. Tesla's been the go-to guy for steampunk sciencemagic for some time now. TV, movies, comic books, video games, for a while, it was all Tesla all the time.

In mainstream movies? Such as?

It is a movie. IT is fiction. Don't watch any superhero movies. You might blow an O Ring.

I pulled this wiki page up.. quick glance.. GSP is not impressed. Name them and make a better case, brosef.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla_in_popular_culture#Appearances_3.

I can see your point in the games department though. I know the games, but never really played any of them, so doesn't bother me.

Back