just saw systema

it's a martial art designed for the russian elite forces. I doubt that the USSR teach something useless to it's troops especially when they have a viable opion in Combat Sambo. If you can train like you are in the russian elite forces/MOSSAD then Systema/Krav Maga is a good system. IF and ONLY IF you can train like them.

blanko said:
it's a martial art designed for the russian elite forces. I doubt that the USSR teach something useless to it's troops especially when they have a viable opion in Combat Sambo. If you can train like you are in the russian elite forces/MOSSAD then Systema/Krav Maga is a good system. IF and ONLY IF you can train like them.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that what was shown on those clips is the same as what is taught to Russian Special Ops Troops. I also doubt that your average Krav Maga school is practicing the same curriculum as the Mossad.

On another note, having served 7 years in the USMC, I know for a FACT that the military concentrates more training to aspects of armed combat, ie. marksmanship, fire team formations, squad tactics, weapons training, etc., than to unarmed combat, weapons disarms, knife fighting, and all the other bullshit you see trained at these "reality" based self defense McDojos.

i saw one video where they were told to bend their chest inwards when being punshed to the body...so the fist wont reach you...GREAT idea...dont know if it will work against a flying knee, too...but those guys might know the answer to it for sure

The main problem with systema (in the US at least) IMHO is that many of them have gone so far down the thoretical path into movement training and fitness that practical training against resistance, sparring, etc, has gone by the way side. Systema now caters to weekend warrioirs who like the "special forces" fantasy.

To bo honest, there are some very good systema practitioners out there - by good, I mean people who still train to fight and train hard (most of them that I know have had other training besides). But, unfortunately Vasiliev has gone commercial, mass marketed the crap out of the art, essentially sold instructor certificates, and turned systema into a non-martial art.

When I was training in Eastern Europe, I hooked up with a group of serbian systema guys and they were all active MMA fighters, trained very hard (soft work and hard work), and regularly sparred. They thought North American systema was a lost cause.

The fact that systema relies so heavily on it's "special forces" connections for marketing is a bad sign. Combat sambo came from there, my coach was a KGB defector and we did not need to use that to market the style - people train and they see it is applicable to reality. My coach always said that systema is the watered down verion of the movement principles behind combat sambo.

There is nothing wrong with doing systema...it has some solid movement principles, I have trained some myself, and it keeps one in shape but, if you are going to do systema, be honest about what it can offer you in a real world situation. The way it is often trained, it won't offer much.

these arent the droids youre looking for { waves hand }

Darth Shlong said:
these arent the droids youre looking for { waves hand }
lol, I just got the Trilogy for Christmas. Nice use of the Force, my young padawan.

sambosteve said:
The main problem with systema (in the US at least) IMHO is that many of them have gone so far down the thoretical path into movement training and fitness that practical training against resistance, sparring, etc, has gone by the way side. Systema now caters to weekend warrioirs who like the "special forces" fantasy.

To bo honest, there are some very good systema practitioners out there - by good, I mean people who still train to fight and train hard (most of them that I know have had other training besides). But, unfortunately Vasiliev has gone commercial, mass marketed the crap out of the art, essentially sold instructor certificates, and turned systema into a non-martial art.

When I was training in Eastern Europe, I hooked up with a group of serbian systema guys and they were all active MMA fighters, trained very hard (soft work and hard work), and regularly sparred. They thought North American systema was a lost cause.

The fact that systema relies so heavily on it's "special forces" connections for marketing is a bad sign. Combat sambo came from there, my coach was a KGB defector and we did not need to use that to market the style - people train and they see it is applicable to reality. My coach always said that systema is the watered down verion of the movement principles behind combat sambo.

There is nothing wrong with doing systema...it has some solid movement principles, I have trained some myself, and it keeps one in shape but, if you are going to do systema, be honest about what it can offer you in a real world situation. The way it is often trained, it won't offer much.

Ah, man this is pure booolsheet. You satory has so many holes it I won't even bother to mention all of them. You must be 13 and think that posting stuff like this makes you cool.

Actually, I'm 12 years old - I hope to have my force push working when I'm 13

Back