Just Rewatched Woodley v. MacDonald

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Pain4Pain, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Pain4Pain

Pain4Pain Blue Belt

Rory had the perfect game plan to beat Tyron.

This was the last fight where Tyron fought like a MMA fighter where he threw a lot of kicks along with punches. He had a great diversity of powerful kicks, and he had a good jab as well.

It was after this fight where he realized that leg/body kicks are a waste of his energy and throwing kicks with his back against the fence made him a target for counterattacks. Using this knowledge, he stopped throwing kicks, and started fighting more like a slugger, given that he is much less likely to outpoint someone throwing 50% power, where he can land a few hard shots to get anyone's attention. He wasn't the best offensive wrestler in his division either, so he figured it is better to threaten with the TD than actually going for it and expending all that energy.

Reminds me a bit of the past his prime Bernard Hopkins for some reason.

I am a Tyron fan, but Rory would probably beat him again given that he has the chin to take his punches and he is a great defensive wrestler. Tyron probably has a better chance of beating GSP than beating Rory right now.

2. LLD2008

LLD2008 Green Belt

Rory schooled Tyron

miketrike, PROlogic, TemDee and 7 others like this.
  3. VinceArch

VinceArch Venom in the veins.

Woodley is afraid of moves like these.

[​IMG]

4. Diunx

Diunx Banned Banned

GSP would do the same <GSPWoah>

5. Hespectfully

Hespectfully Black Belt Platinum Member

So we have Rory to thank for making Tyron a boring decision machine?

6. daltonames

daltonames Brown Belt

He didn't decision Lawler ...

7. daltonames

daltonames Brown Belt

Till has nowhere near the wrestling or Takedown defense of Rory. Tyron gonna do what he did to condit, and take Till down repeatedly.

8. Franklin U.

Franklin U. Gold Belt

For the umpteenth time, upper tier fighters evolve and both are better now and in prime except Rory has taken a bit more damage than he'd liked to.

Would love to see re- match.

9. Krixes

Krixes Red Belt

Rory just has his #....

10. Arrrrgh

Arrrrgh Brown Belt

Honestly that fight shaped my impression of Tyron and it isn't a good one. He's never been the best WW he just stylistically matches up well against the available competition.

He is the champion who waited. He sat on the sidelines and waited over a year for the competition to lose or leave the organization so could get a title shot on a 2-1 record in his last three. He came off a split decision win against Kelvin Gastelum, badly was dominated by Rory and has been point fighting ever since he got the belt.

He put Robbie's lights out. Credit too him for having the power to do that. He made wonderboy boring and won 2 close fights on points. In the Maia fight he fought one of the most boring MMA fight's since rounds and time limits were implemented.

The worst part about all of that is I want to like Woodley. I want him to be a better fighter though and earn the title he walks around with. Sadly he is a guy who is going to sit on the sidelines as long as possible and pick and choose his fights when he can. The only reason its not a bigger deal is because it gets overshadowed by Conor drama.

Here's to hoping he has an exciting fight with Till. I'll be rooting for Woodley since I'm no Till fan and no fan of people missing weight and getting an advantage on fight night.

11. Torrid

Torrid Cunning Linguist

I agreed with the post until the end; I don't think Rory could beat him again because I think Rory is broken goods.

If Lima had even an iota of fight IQ in that fight, he'd still be champion and I fully expect him to win the rematch against Rory as well. He just absorbed far too much damage in a short period of time and has seemingly regressed in some facets because of it.

ralphus1 likes this.
  12. Perrichet

Perrichet Tinpot Belt

Rory exposed him badly in that fight

PROlogic and Gambit MMA like this.
  13. DrunkMonkMeth

DrunkMonkMeth Brown Belt

Rpry loes rematch i think tyrone was a nobody back then and rory isnthebmost overated fighter alive right now

14. HoFF

HoFF 3 Piece Soda Platinum Member

Seen that fight live.... HURTIN

15. Siesta

Siesta Brown Belt

GSP will never take that fight. He's scared of hard hitters now.

Pain4Pain likes this.
  16. MikeK1989

MikeK1989 Yellow Belt

So basically what is being said is Tyron is now conserving his energy throughout fights. He doesnt want to wrestle, throw kicks, he just wants to use his right hand.

I think we can all agree he will at least try one takedown vs Till, but what if it gets stuffed badly? Till has that unorthodox style much like Rory used vs Tyron.

I think we can agree that Woodley might have a tough time KOing Till because of the weight difference. So how many ways of winning are truly left?

What an interesting and bizarre fight this is.

17. bl0b

bl0b Orange Belt

upload_2018-9-5_12-5-26.png

4 decisions, 1 KO, in the last 3 years...yeah, I like your argument though.

PROlogic likes this.
  18. Pain4Pain

Pain4Pain Blue Belt

Cerrone got Till down, but he couldn't keep him there. If he can get Till down then Tyron should have no problem, though I think he will get up without taking too much damage as Tyron doesn't have the best top control.

Also one clean right hand can put Till to sleep, but it is like playing fire with fire because Till has a dangerous left hand as well. Till can counter the overhand right with his left, and Woodley can time the left hand with his overhand right. Woodley has the speed and power advantage though by a slight margin and the lower center of gravity, so I have to give the edge to Woodley.

19. ANIM4L

ANIM4L Brown Belt

Honestly felt Woodley threw the fight away after the first round.

20. Jedi Judah

Jedi Judah Brown Belt

Rory showed no respect for Tyrons power and basically walked him down almost the entire fight. Then takes him down and keeps him there. Who else has been able to do that to woodley?