Movies Just rewatched The Dark Knight Rises

Bane's style and voice, and Selina Kyle were the high points of TDKR.

The low points were the lame Rocky 3 plot, holding Gotham hostage with a nuke, and *surprise* the actual villain was Bruce Wayne's lover, not Bane.

"World's Greatest Detective" my ass.

Batman Begins - 9/10
The Dark Knight - 10/10
The Dark Knight Rises - 6/10

And that 6/10 is mostly because of everything not related to the plot.

See I'm not the only one who knows rocky 3 when I see it

4/10 at best.

I fucking hated it. Such a massive disappointment.

Yesterday after a discussion, i just watched it again on blu-ray....

This will be probably the most unpopular opinions from me, as some people didn't like this movie on this site, or were disappointed considering that it didn't match the first two. Despite that, the film seems liked by the majority of critics and audiences and is considered a solid film overal..

Well, I thought that this was a fantastic comic book movie and by far one of the most over-hated movie of all time. I loved it on my first watch (August 2012) and I still love it now. Besides Civil War, i think there's no 3rd film in a comic book trilogy better than it.

I still like it more than Prestige, Memento, Interstellar and Dunkirk.

Despite some flaws, the use of of little CGI, character development, and grand scale finale really worked i think. Bane was an excellent villain and a physical threat, and the female characters were good too.

38FJ.gif

9/10 for me.

It dealt with a lot of issues that exploded in the last years like polarization and views on force/police.
It cannot be seens without the references to a tale of two cities and the french revolution.

Its a solid movie

The movie is carried almost entirely by the Bane character. Almost everything other than Bane, Alfred and Batman is fat that could have been trimmed. The movie didn't even need Catwoman at all.

It's a good comic book movie, better than 90% of Marvel movies. It's still just pretty good. I give it a 7 and 5 of those points are Bane.

Nice inclusion of Alfred. I was bummed that Caine had a much smaller role than in the previous two but he and Bale know that scene where Alfred leaves out of the park.

See I'm not the only one who knows rocky 3 when I see it

Everybody knows of it because its the most copied&pasted script structure in history.

The Mighty Ducks
The Mighty Ducks 2
The Big Green
And a few other kids films that aren't coming to mind.
The Fast And The Furious 3 Tokyo Drift

I liked TS using the word overhated. Tough for me to argue against that. I always felt it was strangely held to some standards that most comic book movies are not. And even if you argue that the higher standard is because the first two are so good, it still doesn’t all add up, in that there are plot elements of TDKR (inconsistencies, gaps, dead weight, etc) that are absolutely eviscerated that are no more egregious than logic lapses in other big budget action movies. However, those other films tend to get a pass on such things.

I’m a fan. Wish Bale had a bit more to do. And, in hindsight, the pit stuff was not as meaningful (in my view as Nolan and co probably wanted it to be.

I remember leading into the film I was hoping Nolan was going to go full genre shift a la The prestige and put supernatural elements like The Lazarus Pit in there. Would have been cool in my book.

As it stands, I still think it’s awesome. Hardy steals the damn thing. Caine and Bale are great. JGL takes what could have been a thankless role and makes it very good. Oldman is a solid presence as usual. Hathaway was great.

memorable set pieces, great score, emotionally resonant moments (Caine’s departure, Batman revealing his identity to Oldman, etc). Chase scene with the Bat, the Tumblers and the Bat Pod is sick. Sewer fight scene is tense as hell with awesome atmosphere.

hell, I even liked the Cotilliard reveal. Cool that you can see the hints of it with subsequent viewings- tells Bruce to “do what is necessary” when he returns to Gotham (one of her dads standard operating procedures) and makes reference to balance after the dalliance with Bruce (something Ras always talked about preserving).

I remember hating the lame throwaway line about Blake’s real name being Robin at the time. I still sort of do. However , I actually have grown to thoroughly appreciate how Blake was Nolan and co.‘s distinct iteration of the Robin character. Really worked out well. Just might have been better if it were something like his name was Gray throughout the film and then you find out it’s just a nickname because his last name is Grayson.

Also clever how the impossibility of Bane being the son is right there- “never saw the light until I was a man” yet Ras’ offspring escapes as a child but you tend to miss it cause of the way the movie is structured.

Are there drawbacks? Sure. The cops being held underground is ludicrous. The cops and Batman vs. the League of Shadows is a bit out there. Bane’s death is anticlimactic. The fight scenes leave a lot to be desired.

But overall it’s a really fun ride.

I feel like DKR needs more bromance to really do the format justice

Blake and Batman are the closest thing to that but no awkward beach runs/hugs.

Always pretty amusing that Blake knew Bruce Wayne was Batman because he...met him once...but JGL somehow sells the scene despite it being insane.

Tom Conti is really more of the Apollo role a la helping Wayne get the Eye of the Tiger after the Bane loss.

As to the comparison though, Alfred bailing before Fight 1 a la Mickey dying before Clubber vs Rock I.

And also much like clubber in the rematch, Bane gasses HARD. Dude is on fumes by the time he’s throwing haymakers at building pillars.

Last edited:
I’m not the one who’s breathing heavy.

cmon Bane, you ain’t so bad. You ain’t so bad. You ain’t nothing.

Blake and Batman are the closest thing to that but no awkward beach runs/hugs.

Always pretty amusing that Blake knew Bruce Wayne was Batman because he...met him once...but JGL somehow sells the scene despite it being insane.

Tom Conti is really more of the Apollo role a la helping Wayne get the Eye of the Tiger after the Bane loss.

As to the comparison though, Alfred bailing before Fight 1 a la Mickey dying before Clubber vs Rock I.

And also much like clubber in the rematch, Bane gasses HARD. Dude is on fumes by the time he’s throwing haymakers at building pillars. Speed kills.

I always saw Rocky and Apollo as buds, but yeah, Bane really needs to work on his cardio. It's holding him back

It's still the third best Batman movie of all time. Sorry Tim Burton.

And now that I think about it, that pretty much makes it the third best DC movie of all time.

Not the most popular opinion, I know, but I rank Batman Returns above every Batman movie other than The Dark Knight.

for me

The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
Batman ‘89
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman vs. Supes DOJ
Adam West Batman movie with the self-sacrificing porpoise

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin

I didn't watch this movie until a few years after it came out in theatres. It was much better than I was expecting considering all of the negativity.

Loved hardy as Bane.

I like all of Nolan's work, even the "failures" like Tenet.

I didn't watch this movie until a few years after it came out in theatres. It was much better than I was expecting considering all of the negativity.

Loved hardy as Bane.

I like all of Nolan's work, even the "failures" like Tenet.

Nolan is awesome.

I’m a huge fan of The Prestige.

Love it. Probably my number 1 Fincher.

My 2nd favorite for sure.

It dealt with a lot of issues that exploded in the last years like polarization and views on force/police.
It cannot be seens without the references to a tale of two cities and the french revolution.

Its a solid movie

Agreed. It has themes and they are handled well:

Yeah fair. So you would put Rises and Dunkirk as 7/10 films and below them?

My list:

1. TDK
2. Inception
3. Begins
4. Rises
5. Memento
6. Prestige
7. Interstellar
8. Insomnia
9. Dunkirk
10. Following
11. Tenet

<{clintugh}>

Not the most popular opinion, I know, but I rank Batman Returns above every Batman movie other than The Dark Knight.

for me

The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
Batman ‘89
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman vs. Supes DOJ
Adam West Batman movie with the self-sacrificing porpoise

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin

Sure I could nitpick about how high Batman Returns is on your list but we agree on what the top 5 good ones are and we clearly agree that Batman Forever + Batman and Robin are dog shit.

And I get a kick out of seeing Rick Zumwalt and Vincent Schiavelli in Batman Returns.

tenor.gif

Back