Just rewatched Jacare vs Gas

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
This fight was crazy. It was a lot more lopsided than I remember, in favor of Jacare. The judges must've been scoring based on who looked to be the fresher fighter, because Gastelum landed little effective offense on Jacare and all of it was blocked except for the one knockdown in round 2.
Round by round:

Round 1- Jacare grabs the single-leg and struggles for 2 minutes but eventually gets Gas to the ground. Jacare dominates Gastelum on the ground, including sub attempts, control and heavy GnP. Late armbar attempt by Jacare that Gas gets out of. Props to Gastelum for getting out of multiple subs.
10-9 Jacare due to control, heavy GnP, and sub attempts.

Round 2- Jacare looking tired but landing HEAVY shots on Gastelum's non moving brick chin. Gas throwing punches from far but getting blocked by Jacare mostly until the knockdown.
giphy.gif

Jacare goes full zombie-mode and marches down Gas while covering up and winging huge shots that land. Gas obviously using the "I'll use my face to block punches" strategy while giving little offense that lands.
giphy.gif

jacare-vs-gastelum-exchange.gif

10-9 Gastelum or even 10-10 since the knockdown is the only effective strike landed by Gas.

Round 3- Gastelum walking down Jacare, the latter seems to be very tired. Gas throwing punches with his hands low, resulting in constant counters from Jacare.
Jacare-landing.gif

Gas not landing much because of Jacare's high shell-style guard, and Gas circling around. Jacare going for multiple takedown attempts that get stuffed repeatedly, and Jacare sometimes using takedown threats to come over the top to land more big shots. Gas definitely looks to be the fresher fighter, and is able to stuff most takedowns until Jacare is able to land a Judo throw that has Gas on the bottom for a short bit, but Jacare seems to be too tired to keep him down. Jacare landing more big shots until Gas is able to connect at the very end.
10-9 Jacare due to more offense, heavier offense, a takedown, and blocking most punches.

Basically I'm saying that fight was not close based on actual offense and control. Just because you look fresher and have an iron chin doesn't mean you automatically deserve the round.

29-28 Jacare at least
giphy.gif

Such a random fight to make a pretty big thread about. But it's ok to do so i guess.

<LucyBless>

That fight cost me around $1000 as part of a parlay. I thought Jacare won, but I was in no way confident when the fight ended. Jacare was landing a lot of big shots that Gastelum ate really well. Gastelum's poker face did a lot to convince the judges, apparently.

A tough fight to judge from what I remember. Perfect fight to rewatch on fight pass. I do remember Jacares bombs though , he was hitting gas FLUSH on the chin.

I remember when the bell rang not knowing who the judges were gonna score that for. Good fight. Glad Gas got the nod.

Gas vs. Whittaker is such a great fight.

Great analysis and I agree with TS - 29 to 28 in favor of Jacare.

And it’s not a “random” fight to pick out at all. It was Kevlins last fight so essentially he earned his TS by the win.

I remember not being impressed with either fighter. Jacare gassed halfway through the fight and Gastelum showed awful striking defense against a gassed Jacare. Neither fighter showed they deserved to fight for the belt, but Gastelum makes the most sense as he hasn't fought Whittaker yet.

I do tend to agree with the third, its a classic case of the judges thinking someone looks like he's winning the fight rather than looking at how offence is actually landing.

I do tend to agree with the third, its a classic case of the judges thinking someone looks like he's winning the fight rather than looking at how offence is actually landing.

Yeah, exactly. Judging on body language.

I remember on fight night thinking kelvin won but ill watch again

I assume these elite MMA guys train everyday. Why do they still gas after 10-15 minutes of actual fighting?

I remember this fight, I had a nice combo on Jacare, but I was very, very nervous when the descision came up. I thaught Jacare clearly had rd1, Gastulum clearly had rd2, and rd3 could have gone either way. Cool and close fight, but I don't think it had a 'clear' winner by any means.

I thought Jacare had ended up outlanding Kelvin, but his body language was just so atrocious I'm not surprised at all he lost. Jacare looked defeated before the fight even ended, even as he was outstriking Kelvin in the critical third round. Shows how important it is.

I assume these elite MMA guys train everyday. Why do they still gas after 10-15 minutes of actual fighting?

A lot of guys even at the highest levels don't train particularly smart which is a prime contributor, but Jacare is almost 40 and sold out to get his man down in the first and second rounds; it's understandable in that situation. Even when he was gassed he was doing meaningful work.

Back