Just rewatched GUS vs jones again.

I can't believe I am saying this but maybe the fighters being eye-poked need to play it up a bit feigning greater injury than actually occured like Soccer players to draw the foul.

It will give a break to recover, but more importantly draw more attention on the action and make it harder for refs to do nothing about it.

The problem with the whole fingers thing again is that it's not illegal. John could only deduct a point if Jones actually poked Gus in the eye and he saw it as intentional. There is no rule in the Unified Rules that state you have to close your hand or you aren't allowed to stick your fingers out.

Jones and Jackson have admitted that they game the rules and try to find ways to exploit them. Sticking your fingers out makes the opponent hesistant on moving in because they don't want to get poked. If they get poked, you then get your warning and you stop doing it. At that point the damage is done and the fighter is afraid of getting poked again. It's both a mental and physical tactic.

Dana had the right idea that Jones should be warned to close his hand and if he opens it again, you take a point. I agree but you can't do that if it's not in the rules.

Gus fans/jones haters are pathetic but i hope gus beats jones. After that the real champion, cormier can take the belt

With this being a habitual problem with Jones, and with Dana himself weighing in on it, I hope the refs are going to start being a little more aggressive with this shit in the future. One time is a warning, the next time it happens a point deduction should be made.

Retards who don't know shit will say, "Oh, but Jones puts his hand out to gauge his opponent's range. They do it in boxing all the time!" That's complete bullshit, for two obvious reasons.

1.) In boxing, fighters have closed gloves. They aren't poking an opponent in the eye.

2.) Jones is not finding his range, he is trying to keep opponents from closing the distance on him.

There is nothing wrong with extending your arm, but there is something wrong with intentionally poking guys in the eyes, or creating the threat of it by having your arm and fingers extended.

Tell me if the eye-poke here is being used to "create range", or to keep a fighter at a safe distance:

XvMBN89.gif

Again, are these eye pokes incidental contact, or intentional (and illegal), offensive maneuvers to stifle an opponent's attack.

fingers4.gif

iJfFSKaaOcOx9.gif

Jones is BLATANTLY gouging his opponents, repeatedly, and the refs need to fucking get with it and do their fucking jobs.

Lol when people call it "unintentional" Jon if moving Forward and littertly trying to make Gus blind.

It's Disgusting.

It is. But I don't see the eyepokes in themselves as the problem but rather the opponents' reluctance to retaliate. Refs rarely wants to interfere and decide a fight so it's up to the guys he's fighting to give him a taste of his own medicine so there's an understanding between the two.

All we as fans can do is pave the way for them and say: "it's ok dude, jab your fingers in his eyes; we fully understand and support you. You're not being dirty, you're being righteous. Whoever blinds him is a hero".

edit* I actually made the thread on the "other" forum which that is taken from lol.

Nice work. I've made good use of them, hah.

If ignoring 9 warnings isn't "Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee" I dont know what is.

Troll or idiot? It's so hard to tell around here. As has been pointed out to you several times, these were warnings, not "instructions". If the ref had said "don't stick your fingers out " nine times (which he shouldn't, because it's not against the rules, no more than faking a kick to the groin would be) then you would have a point. But he didn't, so you don't.

Get it? Probably not. That's the problem with idiots and trolls.

Interesting if that count is accurate. It's not illegal to keep your hand open so was he warned 9 times for eye pokes or warned for just close calls? If he was connecting with the eye itself with open fingers as frequently as you have claimed then yes I agree he should have been docked a point if not DQ'D.

He's doing it knowing it will cause an eye poke at some point, and the only reason the opponent is cautious is for that reason. It's not your magical forcefield around your hands that keeps him away, it's the cheap strategy.

You have this COMPLETELY backwards. Big John was trying to help fix the eyepoke problem, within his ability, despite having no actual rules to fall back on.

- He stayed on Jones's case about it in the Gus fight, and in a prior fight (can't remember which at the moment), Big John yelled at Jones to keep his fist clenched to prevent eyepokes. Big John did this to try to improve the fights, within his ability, DESPITE knowing that it is currently unaddressed in the rules.

- In an earlier Jones fight (again, don't recall which, maybe Rampage?), Jones came out in his three-point crawl, and his opponent swung a kick at his head. Jones stood up and complained to Big John about the attempted illegal kick, but Big John basically let Jones know that he wasn't going to enforce the rule if Jones baited out the illegal kick in the first place. Again, this was Big John trying to improve a common complaint about a Jones fight, within his ability, DESPITE knowing that such tactics aren't specifically addressed in the rules.

- You can't just keeping saying, ""Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee" Unified rules." This only goes so far, and Big John knows damn well how far it goes. If he had deducted points from Jones for waving his open hands around (not illegal), and Jones had lost, Jones would have had a HIGH LIKELIHOOD of appealing the result and getting it turned into a NC. Again, Big John is doing what he can within his limits as a ref. He's been in the ref game longer than anyone, HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING.

You've spent this thread slamming Big John, and yet he's the ONLY ref that has been attempting to address your complaints about Jones. If you want anyting beyond what Big John has been doing, you're going to need a rules change from the athletic commissions.

Big John didn't have the balls to dedut a point. I guess he's a Jones fan as he begged the doctors not to stop the fight in 4/5th round.

I actually tried to rewatch it but the fucking blatant poking makes it so annoying to watch. Anyone feels the same about Jones fights?

Rewatched this the other day and noticed the same thing. Jones is a dirty fighter, pretty cut and dry

If you watch the fight Big John says "Both of you need to watch your fingers." I like Jon Jones, I think the internet makes all of this hate possible, it's sad to see so many people spend so much of their lives projecting negative energy at people.

People say he does it to gauge distance. Maybe.

But in the Shogun fight, Jones gets warned 3 times in the 1st round to keep his finger's out of Shogun's eyes while they are on the ground.

He also got warned twice for illegal chokes while on the ground.

He's just a straight up dirty fighter.

If you watch the fight Big John says "Both of you need to watch your fingers." I like Jon Jones, I think the internet makes all of this hate possible, it's sad to see so many people spend so much of their lives projecting negative energy at people.

Yes, he warns them both. He then proceeds to warn Jon about 8 times. Jones creates his own hate

Crying_baby.jpg

Highlarious...You guys are a sad, sad lot.

You have this COMPLETELY backwards. Big John was trying to help fix the eyepoke problem, within his ability, despite having no actual rules to fall back on.

- He stayed on Jones's case about it in the Gus fight, and in a prior fight (can't remember which at the moment), Big John yelled at Jones to keep his fist clenched to prevent eyepokes. Big John did this to try to improve the fights, within his ability, DESPITE knowing that it is currently unaddressed in the rules.

- In an earlier Jones fight (again, don't recall which, maybe Rampage?), Jones came out in his three-point crawl, and his opponent swung a kick at his head. Jones stood up and complained to Big John about the attempted illegal kick, but Big John basically let Jones know that he wasn't going to enforce the rule if Jones baited out the illegal kick in the first place. Again, this was Big John trying to improve a common complaint about a Jones fight, within his ability, DESPITE knowing that such tactics aren't specifically addressed in the rules.

- You can't just keeping saying, ""Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee" Unified rules." This only goes so far, and Big John knows damn well how far it goes. If he had deducted points from Jones for waving his open hands around (not illegal), and Jones had lost, Jones would have had a HIGH LIKELIHOOD of appealing the result and getting it turned into a NC. Again, Big John is doing what he can within his limits as a ref. He's been in the ref game longer than anyone, HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING.

You've spent this thread slamming Big John, and yet he's the ONLY ref that has been attempting to address your complaints about Jones. If you want anyting beyond what Big John has been doing, you're going to need a rules change from the athletic commissions.

Big john can deduct points after 1 warning.. It falls under "follow my instructions at all times"

Back