Just rewatched GUS vs jones again.

CarbonIsotope**

Green Belt
Reaction score

...Nine what you say?

....Nine is the ammount of verbal warning "Big" John gave Jones about sticking his fingers out when Gus attacks. Without deducting a point.

Has anyone in the history of UFC gotten 9 warnings without a point dediction?

There is No doubt in my mind the fight would have ended differently if it wasn't for the poke and Constant threat of the poke. Making Gus hesitate to move in. Its usually a threat of a counter. But against Jones its a threat of going Blind. (possible a tactic jones and greg talked about before the fight if gus was able to close the distance)

And thats 9 warnings. Excluding all the other time he did it. Which was pretty much every single time Gus moved in.

So IMHO the Fight would have ended differently if it was reffed by someone with actual balls. Hopefully the rematch is?

So lets say hes allowed to get 3 warnings. Then that Should have been 6 point deductions.....

However, now people realise what John is doing. And the ref WILL be preassured to handle it in the rematch. And Jones know this. hence his current actions.

"Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee" Unified rules.

Last edited:
tumblr_inline_mi2qjbq7FS1qz4rgp.gif

In that case Gus is the champ and JBJ is just holding it for him. :icon_chee They should have deducted at least 4-5 points after that many warnings thus Gus being the new LHW champ. It's alright next eye poke will be deducted.....................maybe. No wonder why MMA fans tend to come and go no structure in point deductions. In boxing they aren't as good but 9 times, come on. No wonder why JBJ wants no piece of Gus.

Didn't he get tired of giving out warnings at the end and just stop?

Didn't he get tired of giving out warnings at the end and just stop?

Pretty much. He actually just shook his head a few times instead of giving out another warning. Awesome reffing wasn't it?

And he only started After the actual Poke. Ignoring it before that.

Interesting if that count is accurate. It's not illegal to keep your hand open so was he warned 9 times for eye pokes or warned for just close calls? If he was connecting with the eye itself with open fingers as frequently as you have claimed then yes I agree he should have been docked a point if not DQ'D.

Interesting if that count is accurate. It's not illegal to keep your hand open so was he warned 9 times for eye pokes or warned for just close calls? If he was connecting with the eye itself with open fingers as frequently as you have claimed then yes I agree he should have been docked a point if not DQ'D.

Its a combination of both. A few actual pokes. And instances of intentionally putting the opponents eyesight in jeopardy by blatantly extending your fingers.

People have mentioned what you mentioned hat its not Technically Illegal to keep your fingers out. Even though the Ref warns for it (which I guess should make it illegal) I mean that means Everyone could just keep their fingers Obviously extended everytime a fighter moves in.

However, due to that current issue I included

"Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee"

At the end of my post. And that is a rule Jones broke 8 times. Which is point deductable if the ref wants to (and should be after 8 times no) and is in the unified rules.

What if gus grabbed jbj's fingers and twisted one/broke one after say, the 4th warning. Could big john really begrudge him that?

Interesting fact TS, it must have played a role in Gus' fighting style / aggressiveness.

I'd like to know how much eyepokes he did against Glover too.

...Nine what you say?

....Nine is the ammount of verbal warning "Big" John gave Jones about sticking his fingers out when Gus attacks. Without deducting a point.

Has anyone in the history of UFC gotten 9 warnings without a point dediction?

Keeping the fingers out is NOT against the rule.

Big John's warnings were courtesy warnings. It was not a warning that a fighter is violating the rule (e.g. a warning against grabbing the fence).

He might have kept his fingers out 9 times or whatever, but he didn't poke Gus 9 times.

Therefore, Big John did not deduct points.

Jones' haters make me laugh. You guys sound like those politicians who kept coming up with lame bullshits all the time.

Gus lost; Jones won. Get the fuck over it. Stop crying/whining, and wait for the rematch.

:icon_chee

Yeah, his finger defense is pretty bad. Gustafsson has picked up a little on it as well, using it in his fight against Manuwa. Shit will spread if it goes unpunished.

What if gus grabbed jbj's fingers and twisted one/broke one after say, the 4th warning. Could big john really begrudge him that?
Yes, of course. It should be a DQ if he did that.

Jesus dude, just get over it already. Your boy lost, he will get another chance soon - focus on that.

That didn't prevent Gus from landing some strikes of his own tho. Was Gus even complaining about it?

I don't think the eye pokes changed the outcome of the fight, I still believe Gus would have lost IF we don't take into account point deduction. I won't bother to rewatch the fight again, but if it's as bad as TS says, then I think deducting points would have been correct and Jones would no longer be champ. Winning like that is not exactly winning in my book, but I do hope they start taking Jones' eye pokes serious and start deducting points so he stops doing it.

Back