Just rewatched Forrest Griffin vs Shogun Rua 1 - Time to set the record straight

That was always a legit win for Forrest. The huggers will never just admit that shogun got out fought but undoubtedly Forrest was just the better fighter.

Maybe it's because Forrest took the fight to him and made him look bad?

No. He was out of shape and sloppy. Had nothing to do with his opponent. His ACL was bothering him leading into the fight and he reinjured it during the fight and had surgery right after.

Like I said, people try to paint a false image and distort reality. He looked horrible from start to finish. No cardio and ridiculously sloppy all around.

Not trying to discredit Forrest, just don't like history revisionist who try to alter past events into something they're not.

Sorry, the first fight was a fluke. Shogun's knee and being new to the octagon were the difference.

The second fight was an accurate demonstration of what happens when the two meet, and both are healthy.

Prepare to get flamed. But i agree, you can't discount that win for Forrest. One of the greatest upsets/fights in UFC history. Forrest stepped up big time.

Yes Rua destroyed Forrest in the rematch, and there were no excuses for Forrest's performance. Rua is the superior fighter, no doubt about it.

But you have to give Forrest his props.

Forrest is smarter than people give him credit for. I read about how he planned for Quinton and he obviously knows his shit and how to watch tape.

Yet 3 knee surgeries should really mean the end of a career. It's hard to judge Shoguns career. Knocks out Machida and has a shit fight against Vera and Coleman? Gimme a break!

Agreed, Forrest was on and Shogun just couldn't keep pace. A rubber match would settle the score....

^^^

Yep. As awesome as the AS fight was for AS's highlight reel, I wish that fight never happened. It destroyed Griffin.

It ruined his confidence, and he hasn't performed well since

I agree, its so sad, i wish he wasn't humiliated like that, Forrest was a great fighter to root for because u knew that he would always put a good fight...

That was a great fight. I think it was the first PPV I ever ordered personally. Liddell vs Jardine

^^^

Yep. As awesome as the AS fight was for AS's highlight reel, I wish that fight never happened. It destroyed Griffin.

It ruined his confidence, and he hasn't performed well since
Forrests run as an elite fighter was short. But he deserves to be remembered as a former champ. Dude was legit when he won the belt.

I think shogun took him lightly, and was hurt. Still a good win he chose to fight

Prepare to get flamed. But i agree, you can't discount that win for Forrest. One of the greatest upsets/fights in UFC history. Forrest stepped up big time.

Yes Rua destroyed Forrest in the rematch, and there were no excuses for Forrest's performance. Rua is the superior fighter, no doubt about it.

But you have to give Forrest his props.

What? No excuses? You do realize Forrest's wife was in labour at the time of his fight against Shogun the second time right? Props to Forrest for still taking the fight, but he should never have gotten in the octagon against another man while that was laying on his mind. I have no idea how you can possibly think that that couldn't affect his performance, he was distracted as hell. The second the fight ended, Dana flew him straight to the hospital so Forrest could be there for his wife and to see his kid be born. Don't act like there wasn't external circumstances going on. Do I feel Forrest would have won if he hadn't been distracting by his wife giving birth at the time? Probably not, but it definitely played a role in his performance

Shogun had a bad gameplan too. Everytime he goes for takedowns he loses. Just strike man that's what you're good at now days

No. He was out of shape and sloppy. Had nothing to do with his opponent. His ACL was bothering him leading into the fight and he reinjured it during the fight and had surgery right after.

Like I said, people try to paint a false image and distort reality. He looked horrible from start to finish. No cardio and ridiculously sloppy all around.

Not trying to discredit Forrest, just don't like history revisionist who try to alter past events into something they're not.
:icon_lol:

Agreed, Forrest was on and Shogun just couldn't keep pace. A rubber match would settle the score....

It was settled, when Shogun was swinging away and Forrest was yelling at the ref to stop it.

What? No excuses? You do realize Forrest's wife was in labour at the time of his fight against Shogun the second time right? Props to Forrest for still taking the fight, but he should never have gotten in the octagon against another man while that was laying on his mind. I have no idea how you can possibly think that that couldn't affect his performance, he was distracted as hell. The second the fight ended, Dana flew him straight to the hospital so Forrest could be there for his wife and to see his kid be born. Don't act like there wasn't external circumstances going on. Do I feel Forrest would have won if he hadn't been distracting by his wife giving birth at the time? Probably not, but it definitely played a role in his performance

I know about that dude, I'm the biggest Forrest fan you will meet. Forrest in post fight interviews didn't use that as an excuse so i never will either.

Maybe it's because Forrest took the fight to him and made him look bad?

Now go watch some of shoguns pre knee injury fights and learn something. there are fights pre UFC were guys 'take the fight' to Shogun and he does not gas out so quickly and so bad.

This attempt to paint it as other then are bad and agenda driven by the usual sorts who could care less about the fight but need to pump Forrest up so they can stroke Anderson more. Sad.

Yes Forrest deserves credit for taking it to Shogun as he should have. Shogun was never going to survive the pace Forrest was putting on him without Koiing quick. And yes his knee issues and inability to train hard have a ton to do with it.

You can say Shogun was out of shape all you want to make yourself feel better but Forrest was outstriking Shohun from the very beginning of the fight. Shogun couldn't handle his pace and gassed around the end of the first. A round in which he was outstruck anyway.

Wasn't he pretty gassed and sloppy against Coleman, Jones, Hendo, Vera, and Gus?
Maybe Shogun is just prone to gas and become sloppy?

You gotta love how Shogun fans are like, "the first fight was a fluke and Forrest only won because Shogun was sloppy"

Yeah because Forrest was on fire that night he lost to Shogun :rolleyes:

Back