Just rewatched Evan Dunham vs Cowboy Cerrone

Dontevenguess93

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What a masterful performance by Cerrone in this fight. It is probably the most one sided beating Evan Dunham has ever taken (save for maybe Guillard).

An interesting thing that I noticed was how Dunham looked like a fish out of water in every single striking exchange due to Cerrone's speed and variety. Dunham ate a plethora of kicks and knees and had no answer for any of the standup attacks. Dunham would throw one strike at a time and they looked like slow motion punches versus Cowboy. In addition, his wrestling looked below average.

One thing, I hope Dunham doesn't get cut if he loses his next fight. He has lost 3 of his last 4 with his only win by split decision (I should also mention the RDA fight was razor close as I had Dunham winning).

So how do you guys think Barboza-Dunham plays out? Barboza is a great athlete and IMO will probably negate any grappling. Most of the fight will have to be contested on the feet where Edson will have a large speed advantage. In addition, Dunham will be the first south-paw Edson has faced. How do you guys see this fight? In other words how much improvement can Dunham have in his stand up since his last fight? Has Dunham ever beaten a striker like Barboza before?

Last edited:
Probably? It was only the second fight that he lost. Of course it was his worst loss.

I thought Dunham would give anyone at LW a competitive fight until I saw him against Cowboy. Makes me think he's gonna under up on Barboza's highlight reel.

I thought Dunham would give anyone at LW a competitive fight until I saw him against Cowboy. Makes me think he's gonna under up on Barboza's highlight reel.

I've kinda had similar thoughts. I know Dunham is a FOTN machine and a gamer. But after watching his fight with Cerrone I realized the guys he has held his own with and had these entertaining fights with, save for Grant, are no where near the level of Cerrone or Barboza in terms of speed and precision or even athletic ability.

I've kinda had similar thoughts. I know Dunham is a FOTN machine and a gamer. But after watching his fight with Cerrone I realized the guys he has held his own with and had these entertaining fights with, save for Grant, are no where near the level of Cerrone or Barboza in terms of speed and precision or even athletic ability.

He's a bit like Lauzon, plenty of technique and heart... but at the same time not particularly fast or explosive. Those two should fight.

He's a bit like Lauzon, plenty of technique and heart... but at the same time not particularly fast or explosive. Those two should fight.

Hell yeah. Either way its an interesting fight. Dunham has never beat a striker like Barboza before but you could also play devil's advocate and say none of Barboza's wins are against fighters in Dunham's echelon. So in theory, they both could be each other's most impressive win thus far.

If Dunham tries to stand with Barboza, he will get KTFO'd, if he takes the fight to the ground he should win via decision.

He's slightly better than Lauzon at everything, save for maybe ground and pound. Joe is good and generally exciting as hell but he's limited and when he fights higher level dudes, it shows.

Dunham is one of my favorites. The Cerrone fight was hard to watch.

I think he beats Barboza. Edson is good. But incredibly overrated. He has flashy strikes but isn't that great. Dunham by sub.

Holy crap Lauzon should fight Cerrone. I say Barboza beats Dunham by leg kicks.

I have had a feeling Dunham will become the most notable guy Barboza has stopped with leg kicks. The only thing making me second guess is that Dunham is a south paw and that famed right leg kick of Barboza is no longer on the outside leg so I am curious what strategy Edson will employ, whether he will kick the inside or use his switch primarily.

That was one of Cerrone's best performances, hands down. And against one of his highest ranked opponents, too. Loved that fight.

guillard just showed dunham's athleticism problems

it was the mma equivalent of vince carter jumping over that 7 foot french dude, weis

save the posts from other than TS, there is a lot of saving going on.

Back