Just rewatched DP vs Gaethje

Dustin is a great striker but he did take some damage against Hooker in a fight where he just looked sloppy at times.

Poirier has technically better striking but Justin has a lot more power.

Hoping to see these guys run it back someday. Of course as long as that idiot McGregor is in the mix, we have to see rematch #1200
I would suggest that Dustin has just as much power as Justin, he picks when to go all out on his power.

I would suggest that Dustin has just as much power as Justin, he picks when to go all out on his power.

Their finish ratio suggests otherwise. Dustin has struggled to finish guys like Hooker and Miller. 19 of 22 of Gaedjthe's wins are finishes by strikes.

And patient Gaethje is a myth he still fights like a
Meathead
He certainly didn't fight like a meathead against Ferguson. And between Dustin and Ferguson he didn't really fight like a meathead in the 13 minutes it took him to wreck Vick, Barboza and Cerrone.

For years we've wondered if he and his coach were full of shit or not, and frankly the evidence suggests that 'patient Gaethje' is not a myth.There's not much of that evidence (e.g. a small sample size), so you can choose to ignore it if you must, to fit your preconceived notions. But at least admit to yourself that's what you're doing.

Dustin is a great striker but he did take some damage against Hooker in a fight where he just looked sloppy at times.

hot take here.

But Dan Hooker is an elite striker and probably the most underrated stand up fighter in mma.

justin was winning the fight until the fluke ko
no he wasn't and no it wasn't.

1v-r8eXkFrlElSlVn-0y_U6-OmaDvzRcKj45cIZ1hOY.jpg

is it just me or does Dustin P have the bext boxing in the UFC? I used to think it was Max but his lack of punching power has really been bothering me recently.

Anyways that was an amazing fight we deserve a rematch when Do Bronx coughs up the belt

View attachment 870405
That was a great scrap and both fighters have made important improvements since then.

Looking forward to a rematch, hopefully for a title. Curious to see how their improved versions match up.

no he wasn't and no it wasn't.

1v-r8eXkFrlElSlVn-0y_U6-OmaDvzRcKj45cIZ1hOY.jpg

Gaethje was putting in damage that may have turned the tide eventually, had Dustin not stopped him when he did.

He was gaining momentum as evidence by round 2 being split and round 3 being a Gaethje round on the cards ( but 9-9 w point deduction)

So it gave a feeling like Gaethje may have been on a path to victory. But he wasn't up

is it just me or does Dustin P have the bext boxing in the UFC? I used to think it was Max but his lack of punching power has really been bothering me recently.

Anyways that was an amazing fight we deserve a rematch when Do Bronx coughs up the belt

View attachment 870405
Lack of power shouldn't take away anything from an individual's boxing prowess though.

Also it's very hard to choose who the best boxer is in MMA because what is technically sound in boxing may not be strategically viable in MMA. Having a bladed stance will give your opponent a smaller target in boxing but will open you up to takedowns in MMA. Bobbing and Weaving is more dangerous when knees and kicks are available. Clinches are different because elbows, trips and wrestling are open. Etc..

We definately have to see the rematch as Justin is a bit of a different fighter now. But Dustin has also improved.

As for best boxer, I think Masvidal is superior to Dustin. But Dustin is at his prime age whereas Jorge is getting up there in age.

Throughout the fight commies kept harping on about "those leg kicks" lol. That's fine and all but what about DP using JGs head like a punch bag. Gaethje could not handle the power and volume coming at him and ultimately wilted.

Was the commentary team biased towards Justin's kicks? I don't remember that, I do remember Dustin eating a lot of them. I believe Dustin has been quoted saying that's the most damage he's ever taken in a fight win or lose.

Yeah the kicks were brutal, unchecked and doing a lot damage BUT each one that landed was met with a savage flurry of punches from DP.

Gaethje was putting in damage that may have turned the tide eventually, had Dustin not stopped him when he did.

He was gaining momentum as evidence by round 2 being split and round 3 being a Gaethje round on the cards ( but 9-9 w point deduction)

So it gave a feeling like Gaethje may have been on a path to victory. But he wasn't up
I was just spewing facts is all ;)

Really, I wouldn't argue with anyone who scored it 2-1 for Justin.

Back