Just rewatched Cruz vs. Cody and if you score it properly Cruz actually won

Not even Cruz thinks he won the fight, I dont care how many times you rewatch and try to spin the outcome to your desired wish........And New!!!!!!!

Bisping outlanded Hendo, and got put on his ass a few times. Wins.
Cruz outlanded Cody, got put on his ass a few too many times. Loses.

I'm ok with both decisions.

From the MMA Unified Rules:
C) Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, effective aggressiveness and Cage/ring control. Scoring evaluations shall be made giving equal weight to effective striking and effective grappling. It will be determined on a sliding scale. If a round is affected more by striking, then striking will be weighed more heavily. If a round is affected more by grappling than grappling will be weighed more heavily. Cage/Ring Control are secondary criteria to be used when effective striking and effective grappling are even. Effective aggression will be weighed more heavily than cage/ring control. “Effective striking” is judged by determining the impact of legal strikes landed by a contestant and the number of such legal strikes. Heavier strikes that have a visible impact on the opponent will be given more weight than the number of strikes landed. These assessments include causing an opponent to appear stunned from a legal blow, causing the opponent to stagger, appearance of a cut or bruise from a legal strike and causing the opponent to show pain. Cumulative impact on a fighter will also be weighed. If neither fighter shows an advantage in impact of strikes, the number of strikes will determine the most effective striker.

“Effective grappling” is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown, reversals and submission attempts. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to a dominant position, and bottom position fighters using an active, threatening guard to create submission attempts. Submission attempts which come close to ending a fight will be weighted more highly than attempts which are easily defended. Submission attempts which cause an opponent to weaken or tire from the effort required to defend the technique will also be weighted highly in scoring. High amplitude takedowns and throws which have great impact will be scored more heavily than a takedown which does not have great impact.

“Effective aggression” is moving forward scoring with a legal technique or attacking from the guard with threatening submissions.

“Cage/Ring Control” is dictating the pace, place and position of the fight

http://herbdean.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ABC_unified_rules_of_MMA_study_guide.pdf
Exactly. Definitely Cruz.

HHow the hell did cruz win the first? All 3 guys on sherdog play by play gave it to Cody. Pretty much everyone on the fight thread was saying 1-0 to Cody. I just dont know when so many people changed their views on that round
That's scoring in the heat of the moment. Adrenaline kicks in and alters critical thinking. Plus rogan was pro cody all night and that sways public perception. I actually muted it.

A very unbiased opinion. If you were judging by significant strikes round by round. majority decision would sway towards Dom being the champion. But at the same time it could go Cody. Just a minor set back for Dom. His gameplan wasn't smart tonight he bought the fight to Cody when it was suppose be the other way around. I guess TAM finally figured out how to counter him by letting him be the aggressor.

If you were judging purely by significant strikes then your a very poor judge indeed and no judges should not "sway towards the champion" in close rounds, heck if they did then Cruz wouldn't even have won the belt from TJ.

Basically the judges could have given Cruz a massive get out of jail free card without making the totally unjustifable calls via giving him the 1st, 2nd and 5th plus no 10-8 for Cody in the 4th but that's what it would have been, a highly biased decision that clearly did not reflect the fight we saw.

Cruz remains a great fighter but this fight was a disaster, if your in the P4P/GOAT stakes getting conclusively beaten over 25 mins by anyone will be. I wouldn't rule him out of a rematch but really I'm not seeing an obvious alternative gameplan for him, tactically he's always been quite narrow and ultimately Cody was exploiting a relative lack of boxing fuindamentals its not going to be easy to develop overnight.

Round 1 10-9 Cody
Round 2 toss up (give to Champ)
Round 3 10-9 Cody
Round 4 10-8 Cody
Round 5 10-9 Cruz

48-46 Cody Garbrandt
Two judges got it exactly right.

Cody just out-Cruz'd Cruz in the first four rounds. Cruz was swinging at air.

Cruz always goes to decision he learned that lesson awhile ago. I thought Cruz would dominate but he clearly got his ass whooped. I was just as surprised as anyone.

If we go solely by strikes landed yeah Cruz won....

T2QnBUP.jpg
In that case, DJ beat Cruz.

zFJe5oq.jpg

Here is the biggest OFFICIAL point to focus on for judging this particular fight:

Heavier strikes that have a visible impact on the opponent will be given more weight than the number of strikes landed. These assessments include causing an opponent to appear stunned from a legal blow, causing the opponent to stagger, appearance of a cut or bruise from a legal strike and causing the opponent to show pain.

I only scored 2 and 5 for Dominick

i think in the 2nd he had Cody hurt

also, a few of the knockdowns Garbrandt landed where just off balance moments not real knockdowns

regardless, big Cruz fan but he lost the belt

I watched this one closely and Cody was outclassing Cruz before the knockdowns with his boxing and reacted well to Cruz's TD attempts. Impressive wrestling.

Cruz landed a lot of low kicks without much behind them and had trouble landing punches, while Cody was in counter mode most of the fight and catched Dom coming in with hard shots.

The side-to-side movement Cruz uses is only effective when you fall for his feints. Cody didn't, which lead to Cruz entering boxing range unprotected where Cody had his feet planted, slipped Cruz's non-jabs and landed surprisingly easy hard counters.

The way to counter Cody's center-heavy counter style is to jab high and low and end short combinations with low kicks. Cruz needs a high output because of lack of power to stay ahead on points. When that doesn't work he HAS to come forward and up the tempo in desperation to get things to land and that leaves him more open, hence the knockdowns.

That's scoring in the heat of the moment. Adrenaline kicks in and alters critical thinking. Plus rogan was pro cody all night and that sways public perception. I actually muted it.

Nah I think Rogan was being Rogan getting behind the guy who was winning to push him best, same way it is 90% of the time in the UFC.

In the second round I think he was still pushing Cruz much harder dispite Cody clearly landing the better shots and having his timing down then in the last round he was talking up a potential Cruz decision win which whilst not impossible really wouldn't have been deserved.

That's what happens when you fight pattycake point fighting runner style and you're in there against a mollywhopper knocking your face off.

Here is the biggest OFFICIAL point to focus on for judging this particular fight:

Heavier strikes that have a visible impact on the opponent will be given more weight than the number of strikes landed. These assessments include causing an opponent to appear stunned from a legal blow, causing the opponent to stagger, appearance of a cut or bruise from a legal strike and causing the opponent to show pain.
Hence why i said rounds 3 and 4 are cody's. I'm not saying cruz won every round because of the significant strikes

I scored rounds 1, 2, and 5 to cruz
3 and 4 were definitely Cody.

The UFC scoring has always been round by round so I'm not sure you could possibly have Cody winning. Round 1 was close.

Cruz learnt a valuable lesson tonight...never leave it in the hands of the judges. It was closer than Woodley and Wonderboy that's for certain.

I think for that reason Cruz will get an instant rematch and TJ will get rivera after he beats Caraway.

So as soon as you saw some newly released stats, you happen to rewatch and it went the same way, supporting the fighter you liked?

Come on man.

Stats can not show the power, accuracy, setup and dominate style in which a strike is delivered. They also cannot show the psychological effect a strike has and I was watching him mentally break Dom. He even had Dom trying to copy his taunts because Dom felt he HAD to respond.

That's control and domination.

He lost only 1 round(5th),... because he gave it away.

49-46.
General score.

I love this whole "cruz won on strikes" bs ahaha as if a fight is scored only on strikes..

..Lesnar won that Cain fight on taledowns..

Cody DOMINATED Cruz