Just rewatched Cormier vs Stipe 2....

It is very obvious that DC is much more powerfully built than Stipe and therefore has a major strength advantage over Stipe. Stipe looks skinny and lanky in comparison. Also, DC is more skilled than Stipe.

DC takes the third fight easily.
DC has the best build for a HW fighter. Short 5'9", barrel chested strong athletic wrestler.

And yes you guys, DC is 5'9" NOT 5'11". He says so himself

I don't know why they bill fighters as being taller than they are.

IIRC, DC was up, then the body shot brigade showed up & changed the fight momentum for Stipe.

Should have been a ko.
Since DC was unconscious from shots to the chin.
People like to pretend DC was tired and body shots hurt him. The reality is that the body shots made DC drop his hands so Stipe could lay his fat eye poking hyde out.View attachment 779070 your tears are delicious
Cormier was relaxing there a little bit, just look at his face... Come on.
{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}

Very evenly matched fighters tbh. Would slight favour DC in a trilogy

Definitely leaning Cormier with the smaller cage as well. Less room for Stipe to move and avoid TDs.

Yeah but if you "see" the shot coming, you can brace for it therefore having less of a chance of being knocked out by it.

I don't get what you're even saying. He wasn't avoiding the shots because he was focused on "seeing" the shots so he could tank them without getting knocked out? Wat

I lean towards Stipe, however it's hard to pick a certain favourite with the smaller cage.
It's interesting reading most of the comments on this page, a good percentage, seem to remember the 2nd fight as one which DC was completely dominating... This really isn't the case, round 1 was a clear win for DC, but he wasn't exactly "dominating" Stipe, he wasn't battering him on the ground or anything along that line, standard takedown and winning a round. Round 2 was in favour of DC, however he did also just casually stick his finger in Stipe's eye. Both did damage, DC did a little more. At this stage it's 2-0 DC, however he seems a little bit more fatigued then Stipe. Stipe edges the 3rd similarly to how DC won the 2nd. Nothing too major, no one gets rocked, but DC is clearly more fatigued, the evidence is in his body language. Round 4, Stipe is clearly starting to take over, his movement is better, he's adjusted with the body shots and eventually gets the finish.

If it wasn't for the smaller cage, it would be hard to see how anyone could make a great, logical argument that Stipe shouldn't be the favourite, younger, more durable and found a specific exploit he could use against DC

If it wasn't for the smaller cage, it would be hard to see how anyone could make a great, logical argument that Stipe shouldn't be the favourite, younger, more durable and found a specific exploit he could use against DC

agreed but the smaller cage is a real factor so that is why it is being brought up.

ughh, what? I think you're a bit off there with 90%. Cormier won the 1st and 2nd (close round) Stipe clearly wont he 3rd and was clearly winning the 4th till the finish.
I gave DC the 3rd round too lol.

Reactions: JKS
Pretty crap highlight vid. Not huge on both fighters, but I don't hate DC, but you can very clearly see he's winning by avoiding the very clear and present danger or Stipe's striking by ducking hard to the clinch, initiating wrestling, or throwing single strikes and backing away, and he expends a lot of energy trying to avoid that danger. It's a pace he can't keep up for 5 rounds, probably not even 3.
Exactly this. DC is getting older and slower especially after this quarantine with how heavy he looked, I’m really interested to see what kind of shape he’s in for this fight.

agreed but the smaller cage is a real factor so that is why it is being brought up.
It's an interesting aspect of the fight. It should favour DC, he's the more wrestle based fighter out of the two, however it might end up not serving him all that well, we never know. I think with the smaller cage forcing more action it tends to suit the ones with bigger gas tanks and ability to fight through pressure even more so. I still favour Stipe, but only slightly. How do you see it going?

Stipe will get owned in the rematch.

DC in the second fight had major back issues and owned Stipe all of about 1 minute of the fight in a fight that DC couldn't really use his wrestling. Stipe should've done much better on the feet than he did. He got the hell beat out of him for most the fight and that inexcusable. First fight Stipe got KO'd round 1. All signs point to DC winning a third fight.

I see DC mixing up his striking and wrestling over and over in the third fight. He might not finish Stipe but he'll win a lopsided decision with ease.

Dc probably wins but stipe is always dangerous
Dc was coming off back surgery and couldn't wrestle leading up to the fight

DC was given free eyepokes in that fight. They prove it on the replays between rounds, ref called them clean when they clearly weren't. I know it's redundant but let me surmise: this means DC eyepoked him and no timeout was called.

And DC still lost. Take from that what you will.

It's an interesting aspect of the fight. It should favour DC, he's the more wrestle based fighter out of the two, however it might end up not serving him all that well, we never know. I think with the smaller cage forcing more action it tends to suit the ones with bigger gas tanks and ability to fight through pressure even more so. I still favour Stipe, but only slightly. How do you see it going?

I honestly don't know and I love that. I think Stipe knows what it takes to win now and will have a good gameplan, but DC knows this is his last fight and you know he is going to prepare his ass off and be the best he can be, and with the smaller cage, might look to just make it as much of a wrestling match as he can and avoid the danger on the feet.

Should be an awesome deciding rubber match.

The only thing what favours DC in this rematch is his free pass to eyepokes. Stipe with googles and DC doesn't stand a chance.

i havent seen the fight in a long time but i remember Stipe being tentative and almost scared in the early rounds.

Back