Just Rewatched Conor Mc G vs. Mendez

He ate some shots from the bottom. You could tell this was the pace that was wearing on him. But any time it was standing conor was landing. Mendes went for the choke and as soon as conor saw his chance to finish, he took it.

I saw in that fight that conor could take a shot because mendes landed some shots from his guard. That was what I saw.

It wasn't a terrible stoppage, he was sliding his face across the mat before he thought to at least turtle it up and pray

Mendes absolutely exposed him. He beat him up for nearly 2 rounds and would've continued to do that if he hadn't gassed. Also, Mendes had an 8 inch less reach and 3 inches less height and still managed to tag him several times - it was pretty much a natural 155 pounder fighting a natural 135 pounder. RDA is going to make this guy eat his words period
I'm with you on this one all the way. I just rewatched both the RDA vs. Pettis fight and the Mendes vs. McGregor fight consecutively. And although I remember how both fights went down pretty accurately, there were some things that I was refreshed on.

Conor is far from a perfect striker. In fact, his defense is average at best. He's been hit flush by Holloway, Aldo, Poirier, Siver and Mendes. He won't be able to get away with this shit against killers at 155. He's out of touch with reality of he thinks so.

Anyways, as soon as the Mendes fight started, Mendes allowed himself to be backed against the fence which is exactly what RDA won't let happen. Another thing that was re-highlighted was Conor's piss poor takedown defense. He's got absolutely no sprawl abilities. His guard is ZERO existent. Gunnar hasn't been able to teach him a damn thing. If Mendes can hold you down and pass your guard like butter, you have no business on the ground with RDA. Conor was winded clearly toward the end of that fight. That was crystal clear. If he doesn't put RDA away within 1 1/2 rounds, RDA is gonna drown him.

Then with the RDA vs. Pettis fight, it reminded me how fucking savagely strong RDA is, especially in the clinch. His knees to the legs are relentless and he's got a pace that very few can keep up with. I feel like this is such an easy fight to call and the closer to fight night we get, the more confident I'm getting about it. I feel like this is the UFC's way of punishing Conor to bring him back down to reality and the only ones not in on the joke is Conor, his entourage and his fairweather front runner fanboys.

That fight was old news TS. Didn't you see the Aldo fight?

A 13 sec or less KO on RDA is guaranteed now.

Chad hasn't said once it was early. He has stated short camp, which is legit. But he took the fight b/c the $ was right. I thought that was a good stoppage.

See was Conor playing his game the whole time? Or did he pull off an incredible comeback. Either way it was a great fight.

Incredible comeback? He was clearly winning the standup. I definitely give Mendes the first round for taking it and keeping it on the ground, but it was clear he needed to keep taking it there.

It was telling.

Chad took him down just about every time he tried and GNP'd away.

Cloner also took a lot of hard shots.

Anyone can be KO'd if they are hit in the right spot.

Connie definitely had some luck he wasn't rocked or finished by those shots. Chad is also a power puncher.

Props to McG for winning.

I don't think Cloner is going to continue having some luck in the future. It's a matter of time before a backfire.

It is funny how Mendes STFu all of the suden. Before he got KTFO by Frankie and before Conor KTFO ALdo all we heard was Mendes flaping his mouth if i had full camp . I m happy he finally STFU

I also rewatched it earlier.

Mendes definitely landed hard and rarely missed when he threw that fast right hand, and Conor kept using the same 1-2 combo and repeatedly got caught leaving his hands out there and chin up in the air, but he didn't seem bothered by those shots except briefly when he got clipped while using the fence to get back up. He also conserved energy by not putting too much on the kicks, and of course sapped Mendes' energy by targeting the body with those and punches. Definitely some worrying signs going into the RDA fight.

I see a lot of criticism of Conor asking for a standup, but not long before he did, Mendes was complaining to the ref about illegal elbows from the bottom which didn't even come close to hitting the back of his head, and actually would have been pretty much impossible from that angle.

How do Conor fans feel about their hero begging to be stood up by the ref while getting his arse handed to him? That's some shady shit right there. Someone post that gif, that's what I remember about this fight.

Conor is far from a perfect striker. In fact, his defense is average at best. He's been hit flush by Holloway, Aldo, Poirier, Siver and Mendes. He won't be able to get away with this shit against killers at 155. He's out of touch with reality of he thinks so.

That's the same reason people gave for why Aldo would win. You probably did too in your previous account.

No one in mma is a perfect striker. Every fighter gets hit. Keep that in mind.

How do Conor fans feel about their hero begging to be stood up by the ref while getting his arse handed to him? That's some shady shit right there. Someone post that gif, that's what I remember about this fight.
He was actually talking about Mendes gouging his open wound which is illegal so....

Originally my impression of the fight was: Conor got exposed and then willed a win in the second round.

A few things I noticed on second look.

1. Respect to Conor as always coming out with a spinning back kick very energetic even risky in the beginning. And did a great job of pressuring Mendez the whole time.

2. Mendez actually hit Conor with a few good ones. I forgot he opened up Conors right eye. I know bleeding doesn't necessarily mean great damage but it looked like Conor's head bobbed with that one as well as with other shots.

3. Mendez was good at countering Conor (although he only answered with 1 or 2 hits and was anable to follow up).

4. Mendez used his wrastlin to bully Conor. When a takedown failed, Conor did a great job of defending, but Mendez took advantage of Conor's unbalanced position and dictated the pace. This is when he got most of his best shots on the feet. I remember watching Fedor and DC doing this a lot : Didn't get the takedown? thats' okay use the chaos to follow up with attacks.

It really looked like Mendez did a great job even on the feet. If mendez had a longer reach and was able to follow up with some of his counters, and land strong COMBOS, not single shots do any of you feel it is possible would have had a strong chance of winning that fight?

Also, Did Mendez expose Conor at all?

He didn't do a good job on the feet at all. Even while injured and movement hampered, conor obliterated him on the feet. by the end of the 1st round, mendes was just about out on his feet, when he got that takedown at the end of the round. Aside from some wild swinging right hands from mendes, conor was totally dominating him throughout.

I also have watched that fight numerous times. And each time it becomes more and more apparent, just how bad conor did beat him up on the feet. conor was flat footed, cause of his knee injury, which is the only reason he got hit at all. But conor easily out landed mendes 10-1 and that's being kind to mendes. If you count all the body kicks conor landed, all the straight lefts conor landed, it's not even close.

Better post that gif Mendes was gauging Conors eyes u dumbass. Conor was telling it to refere.

According to Conor fans, Mendes didn't do shit in that fight.

He had some brief moments, but lets be honest here. Mendes got ktfo in UNDER 2 rounds. All the debate in the world can't alter that fact. The only strikes mendes landed were wild swinging right hands, that caught conor at the end of the punch. Sure, they landed, but they weren't effective and didn't faze conor in the slightest. Bottom line, conor destroyed him in under 2 rounds. why people are still talking about someone who is now finished as a top fighter, is beyond me...

shame, because it was a great fight, mendes definitely won the fight round and was winning the second decisively. props to conor, he was in great shape and withstood the wrestling an ground and pound, and was just waiting to get back to his feet where he was picking mendes apart. by the time mendes got to his feet at the end of the second, he was too tired to move and conor put him away. no doubt if he'd had a full camp it may have gone the distance, and who knows.
gotta say, herb dean is becoming the king of early stoppages. that stoppage was terrible, mendes was rocked but covering up and not out, with 8 or 9 seconds to go in the round, in such a big fight, you cant stop it there. terrible. doesnt really matter of course, because mendes was gassed and wouldve gotten stopped the same way, prob in the 3rd. still tho. just terrible.

He most certainly did NOT win that 1st round. And of course, you seem to forget as to many other conor haters, that conor was injured and his training camp was severely hampered, because of it. His movement in the fight was hampered. Which was obvious watching it..

Oh, and mendes was gassed cause of the body shots and the pace conor put on him, not cause of this alleged 2 week training camp.

Yeah because that's all you wanna remember. That fight was very telling about Conor. Your rose colored glasses prevented you from seeing Conor beg for a standup and get countered many times, flush on the feet.

RDA is gonna eat this man's soul.
You're a hater. Conor was saying chad wasn't doing shit, which he wasn't. Also even if Rda does eat his soul, he still has more balls than anyone since bj Penn. Gsp could learn a thing or two from conor.

Back