Just Rewatched Conor Mc G vs. Mendez

fight4ippon

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Originally my impression of the fight was: Conor got exposed and then willed a win in the second round.

A few things I noticed on second look.

1. Respect to Conor as always coming out with a spinning back kick very energetic even risky in the beginning. And did a great job of pressuring Mendez the whole time.

2. Mendez actually hit Conor with a few good ones. I forgot he opened up Conors right eye. I know bleeding doesn't necessarily mean great damage but it looked like Conor's head bobbed with that one as well as with other shots.

3. Mendez was good at countering Conor (although he only answered with 1 or 2 hits and was anable to follow up).

4. Mendez used his wrastlin to bully Conor. When a takedown failed, Conor did a great job of defending, but Mendez took advantage of Conor's unbalanced position and dictated the pace. This is when he got most of his best shots on the feet. I remember watching Fedor and DC doing this a lot : Didn't get the takedown? thats' okay use the chaos to follow up with attacks.

It really looked like Mendez did a great job even on the feet. If mendez had a longer reach and was able to follow up with some of his counters, and land strong COMBOS, not single shots do any of you feel it is possible would have had a strong chance of winning that fight?

Also, Did Mendez expose Conor at all?

giphy.gif

Thats all I remember

According to Conor fans, Mendes didn't do shit in that fight.

I can't take anyone seriously who spells his name Mendez. It's almost as bad as the retards that say Connor or Rhonda
Excellent observation. Its not like thousands of people spell their name Mendez.

See was Conor playing his game the whole time? Or did he pull off an incredible comeback. Either way it was a great fight.

Chad defiantly seemed to hit Conor harder then anyone else has. Aldo landed one good one but Chad hit him a few times with some that would of knocked out most.

giphy.gif

Thats all I remember
Yeah because that's all you wanna remember. That fight was very telling about Conor. Your rose colored glasses prevented you from seeing Conor beg for a standup and get countered many times, flush on the feet.

RDA is gonna eat this man's soul.

According to Conor fans, the RDA fight is already over and they're looking at Robbie Lawler like a bunch of fatass virgin oafs.

Meanwhile back here in reality, RDA is about to tear Conor a new ass next month.

See I'm thinking this. But iono bc his strikes were wearing on Chad for sure.
Yeah but by this point RDA will have Conor against the fence in the clinch working the legs with knees and dropping for doubles. Mendes is nowhere NEAR the pressure fighter RDA is. That's what costed him. He allowed Conor to back him up against the fence and ate kicks. RDA will never let this happen. Conor's either gonna be willing to give up center of the octagon or get taken down right away.

Mendes absolutely exposed him. He beat him up for nearly 2 rounds and would've continued to do that if he hadn't gassed. Also, Mendes had an 8 inch less reach and 3 inches less height and still managed to tag him several times - it was pretty much a natural 155 pounder fighting a natural 135 pounder. RDA is going to make this guy eat his words period

I remember being 3/4 drunk. Thinking Conor was on his way to losing a boring decision. The he knocked out Mendes and I cheered so loud and my friend got pissed at me because she and all her family I was with were Hispanic and rooting for Mendes. lol Good times.

Excellent observation. Its not like thousands of people spell their name Mendez.

Millions do, actually there are probably millions more who spell their name Mendez compared to Mendes. My point still stands, even a person who only casually follows MMA knows it is Chad Mendes and since that means you don't follow MMA at all your thoughts on the fight mean nothing. Oh ya...you said in your OP you "forgot" Conor got cut in the first fight which tells me for a fact you never watched it before now.

Conor was not moving in that fight like he always moves.. He still made Mendes look like an amateur in striking

giphy.gif

Thats all I remember
shame, because it was a great fight, mendes definitely won the fight round and was winning the second decisively. props to conor, he was in great shape and withstood the wrestling an ground and pound, and was just waiting to get back to his feet where he was picking mendes apart. by the time mendes got to his feet at the end of the second, he was too tired to move and conor put him away. no doubt if he'd had a full camp it may have gone the distance, and who knows.
gotta say, herb dean is becoming the king of early stoppages. that stoppage was terrible, mendes was rocked but covering up and not out, with 8 or 9 seconds to go in the round, in such a big fight, you cant stop it there. terrible. doesnt really matter of course, because mendes was gassed and wouldve gotten stopped the same way, prob in the 3rd. still tho. just terrible.

Back