Just Re-Watched Jones vs. Gus...

how high

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The fight in my opinion was a clear 48-47 for Jones with him winning rounds 2,4,5. The notion that Gus demolished Jones in during the fight is completely false and hilarious. The rounds Gus won were nowhere near an ass kicking.

Round 1: Very even round in the striking department, but Gus' takedown gives him the round. 10-9 Gus.

Round 2: Jones was the much busier fighter and controlled the center of the Octagon. Gus landed a few solid punches but was out done by the head kicks and elbows of Jones. 10-9 Jones (19-19 overall)

Round 3: Easily Gus' best round. He had a clear advantage in the striking but it wasn't as far a part as people like to think. 10-9 Gus (29-28 Gus)

Round 4: Gus was on his way to winning this round before Jones turned it on in the second half. Headkicks, spinning elbows, and standing elbows all made the difference for Jones here. Gus was hurt badly but I think if he would have eaten the elbow at the start of the round he still would have made it to round 5. 10-9 Jones (38-38 overall)

Round 5: Even striking round for the first half but again Jones' kicks pulled it out for him. He also had Gus slightly hurt IMO. 10-9 Jones, Jones wins 48-47.

Conclusion: This fight wasn't nearly as lopsided as a lot of people make it out to be. Also I would like to note that Gus displayed some of the techniques that Jones haters tend to pick on (Fingers extended towards his opponent's eyes and running away in particular). I think the proper score for the bout is 48-47 Jones but a 49-46 isn't crazy considering how close round 1 was.

Rewatched it several times, and I've always scored it for Jones. Same analysis as you. Had Jones not landed that elbow in round 4, Gus would've been the champ right now.

Clear 48-47 for Jones though. Gus certainly didn't get "robbed" as most people like to say, but it was close in the sense that it came down to that one elbow in the 4th round.

The scoring was close, but watching Jones get walked out of the ring and the hospital photos after affects the perception of a lot of people. I could score it either way, depending on every time I watch.

That's how the majority of websites scored the fight initially.

Agree. Round 1 and 2 were more or less coin flips. If I remember correctly I think I had 1 for Jones and 2 for Gus, with the other rounds being more clear. I can't remember though, that fight was a while back.

"Oh great. A Jones fangirl creates yet another thread where she's rewatched the fight and is ready to give her objective opinion that Jon Jones The Ultimate Superman won it."

32916_11148_original.gif

"Oh great. A Jones fangirl creates yet another thread where she's rewatched the fight and is ready to give her objective opinion that Jon Jones The Ultimate Superman won it."

32916_11148_original.gif

Jon-Jones-elbow-Alexander-Gustafsson.jpg

32916_11148_original.gif
Why the speech marks?

The entire fight was close, every round contested, round 4 could even be argued for Gus because Jones did little besides one good elbow in that round. So to me it came down to damage. Jones clearly took the most damage.

The fight was very close whoever you thought won it. That's why they need to fight again.

The crazy thing is, IMO, it all comes down to that one spinning elbow in the fourth. Jones lands that and hurts Gus thus stealing the round and the fight.

Another fight that I think comes down to a single move is Benson Edgar 1 when Henderson lands the upkick in the second and steals the round.

Back