Just re-watched fight...how can anyone argue JJ won rounds 2 or 3!?!?

AGGRESSION

OCTAGON CONTROL

Learn them.

He had no octagon control at all. Reyes controlled the distance with his movement and stuffed Jon's attempt at a TD. Jon not achieving a TD shows a LACK OF CONTROL. Reyes shredded him and landed a crisp elbow on the break.

What did Jones do to win round 3? All he did was pressure forward and land one good straight shot. Reyes landed more punches and the bigger punches. He also stuffed Jon's attempt at a TD and landed an elbow on the break.
He barely out struck jon in the third, jon was pressuring, jon was the aggressor, reyes was circling the cage. When striking was fairly equal you can fall back on aggression and control, which Jon 100% fulfilled.

If you want to make a case that texas needs to implement the new unified rules than be my guest, but to say there is no way jon won the third is laughable.

He had no octagon control at all. Reyes controlled the distance with his movement and stuffed Jon's attempt at a TD. Jon not achieving a TD shows a LACK OF CONTROL. Reyes shredded him and landed a crisp elbow on the break.
"he had no octagon control" you clearly didn't watch the fight, stop shitposting.

Rd 2 was the moat clear cut for Reyes and the only one he won all 3 on was the 1st

He barely out struck jon in the third, jon was pressuring, jon was the aggressor, reyes was circling the cage. When striking was fairly equal you can fall back on aggression and control, which Jon 100% fulfilled.

If you want to make a case that texas needs to implement the new unified rules than be my guest, but to say there is no way jon won the third is laughable.

Moving forward does not = control.

Not only did Reyes outstrike JJ, he landed much bigger shots.

Rd 3
4:45 Reyes lands big kick to JJ's face
3:54 JJ's FIRST decent strike of the round connects (right hand)...Reyes immediately responds with a jab to the face and a body kick that's partially blocked
2:27 Solid uppercut by Reyes
2:17 High kick by JJ that's easily blocked by Reyes
2:13 JJ shoots for a TD and Reyes immediately stuffs it into a standing clinch
1:59 Reyes lands an elbow to JJ's head as he breaks away from the clinch
1:53 Reyes with a solid left to JJ's body
1:14 Reyes sticks JJ with a left to the temple that's partially blocked
59: Nice hook by Reyes that lands
46: JJ lands a nice left jab to Reyes' face...this is only JJ's SECOND decent strike of the entire round thus far
42: Reyes immediately responds with a nice body shot
24: Reyes stick JJ in the face with a left
11: JJ lands a left jab
:02 JJ attempts a desperate/weak flying knee/kick that does nothing

Again, I encourage everyone to go re-watch this round and fight. No way in hell does JJ win any of the first 3 rounds. Please re-watch these 2 rounds and tell me at which mins/secs does JJ do anything that warrants winning either of the rounds...

Last edited:
"he had no octagon control" you clearly didn't watch the fight, stop shitposting.

I watched it 3 times. In 4 and 5 he had control as he was able to land consistently and take down a tired Reyes. In the first 3 rounds he was unable to track down Reyes and land without getting tagged by big power strikes.

In fact attempting a takedown and being pushed off and elbowed on the face is the definition of lack of control.

They were hard to score rounds and I honestly didn't have a strong conviction on who won the fight after watching it.

Reyes didn't get robbed and neither would Jones if he lost the belt. The jackass judge who scored it 4-1 was definitely wrong, but a score of 3-2 for either guy is reasonable.

Jones arguably got a little lucky in the scoring and Reyes for his part needed to do a little more to make it clear he was the winner.

Rd 3
3:54 JJ's FIRST decent strike of the round connects (right hand)...Reyes immediately responds with a jab to the face and a body kick that's partially blocked
46: JJ lands a nice left jab to Reyes' face...this is only JJ's SECOND decent strike of the entire round thus far

Again, I encourage everyone to go re-watch this round and fight. No way in hell does JJ win any of the first 3 rounds. Please re-watch these 2 rounds and tell me at which mins/secs does JJ do anything that warrants winning either of the rounds...

People are just delusional or biased.

Or even worse they think that a fighter who moves forward and attempts a take down wins a round. What a nightmare.

Rd 3
46: JJ lands a nice left jab to Reye's face...this is only JJ's SECOND decent strike of the entire round thus far

There was zero game changing striking in Round 2. The biggest highlight was Jon dodging a 12 punch combo bandit slowed Reyes down tremendously. The remaining 3 minutes of the round was Jon stalking Reyes showing octagon control and he landed several Crisp shots. While partially blocking or nullifying most of what Reyes threw. Reyes did not dominate that round whatsoever and it was virtually a tie

on rewatch r2 looked close but r3 was all reyes

Exactly if you want to argue a swing round it's not even round 3 its round 2, and I thought Reyes early aggression won it as he had Jones turning around and literally running away.

The only argument people are using is "octagon control and aggression!!" even though those are irrelevant when one fighter is clearly dominant with their striking or grappling

I watched it 3 times. In 4 and 5 he had control as he was able to land consistently and take down a tired Reyes. In the first 3 rounds he was unable to track down Reyes and land without getting tagged by big power strikes.

In fact attempting a takedown and being pushed off and elbowed on the face is the definition of lack of control.
Reyes literally was being walked down for damn near the entire round. If Jon doesn't come forward, Reyes never can attack. he played the round on the backfoot and it bit him in the ass. Go look at my post history, i gave reyes the first three rounds, I actually agree with your scoring. But the fact that you can't even see the other side shows that you are blinded by a jon jones hate.

also r 4 coulda easily gone to reyes as well
noticed that rewatching with slo mo

JJ and Reyes legacy will be determined by what they do next. This fight will barely be a footnote in their career. \

This is just like the time Johnny Hendricks "beat" GSP. No one even remembers that night but everyone remembers GSP as a two-weight Champ and Johnny going 3-6 while failing to make weight 1/3 of the time.

What they do next is what matters.

True. If Jones is about to be dethroned Reyes needs to do it.

A rematch seems likely. As well as Reyes fought, he is going to need to be even better next time. Jones loves his rematches. He dominates them..

Exactly if you want to argue a swing round it's not even round 3 its round 2, and I thought Reyes early aggression won it as he had Jones turning around and literally running away.

Round 2:
4:54 Reyes with a solid inside leg kick
4:47 Nice calf kick by Reyes, JJ tries to respond but whiffs on a jab
4:39 Reyes with a body kick, JJ counters with another jab and misses
4:17 JJ with a good kick to the body of Reyes
4:15 Reyes responds with a jab right to JJ's mouth followed up with that flurry that many say JJ supposedly "dodged"...well, re-watch that flurry. Reyes threw about a dozen punches and landed about 5-6. Meanwhile. JJ didn't do anything during this flurry
3:58 Reyes ends his flurry with a solid body shot as JJ retreats
3:41 Reyes lands a high thigh kick, that was pretty close to being a groin shot but not close enough upon close review
3:30 Reyes lands a powerful kick to JJ's left leg that is partially checked by his knee
3:08 Reyes attempts another leg kick that JJ checks and counters with a jab but barely misses Reyes
2:53 Reyes with an upper-jab to JJ's chin followed by a solid body shot
2:38 JJ lands his FIRST significant strike of the round, left jab on Reyes' chin but Reyes shows no effects as he counters with a jab but misses
2:22 JJ attempts a weird kick and whiffs
1:41 JJ and Reyes both exchange a few jabs but both are blocked
1:34 JJ sticks Reyes with a solid jab that doesn't seem to affect Reyes but it makes the crowd oooo and ahhhh
1:24 JJ and Reyes simultaneously throw upper cuts and both are partially blocked (this is pretty crazy looking lol)
1:18 Reyes throws a combo but JJ blocks it...JJ responds with a high kick that Reyes blocks
1:08 JJ with an inside leg kick
:55 Both JJ and Reyes throw bombs that land simultaneously
:37 Reyes lands a solid left jab to JJ's temple
:27 JJ with a leg kick and body kick that doesn't seem to effect Reyes
:22 Beautiful upper cut by Reyes and a left hook behind it
:10 Reyes with a solid inside leg kick
:01 JJ throws a wild hook and whiffs badly

Once again, I encourage everyone to go re-watch this round and fight. No way in hell does JJ win any of the first 3 rounds.

There was zero game changing striking in Round 2. The biggest highlight was Jon dodging a 12 punch combo bandit slowed Reyes down tremendously. The remaining 3 minutes of the round was Jon stalking Reyes showing octagon control and he landed several Crisp shots. While partially blocking or nullifying most of what Reyes threw. Reyes did not dominate that round whatsoever and it was virtually a tie

No one really threw "game changing" strikes in the match. But there were some nasty upper cuts and hooks thrown by Reyes all throughout rounds 1-3...which is the whole point of this thread: Reyes won the first 3 rounds. Not saying JJ didn't get any decent shots in during those 3 rounds but Reyes by far outfought him and won those 3 rounds. See my post above about round 2.

Wasnt there like a 6 strike difference in round 2? Of course that's always gunna be up for debate who won the round, the person that lands the most doesnt automatically mean they won the round, if its deemed Jones landed 6 less but his were more significant then hes gunna take the round.
I had Santos beating Jones, but had Jones beating Reyes, 2 very close fights with very close select rounds.

Back