Just pulled the pin on work and moved overseas

[EDIT] Cheers for all the well wishes and positivity, didn't expect so much [/EDIT]

I've been talking for some time about moving overseas and taking a year or so off work, but it always seemed like a bit of a pipe dream.

Over the last 2 years I've been working frantically, crazy hours and an unhealthy lifestyle, trying to do everything to get ahead.
This has led to me doing well financially and in my career, but my health tapped me on the shoulder about 2 months ago and have me a real scare.

In light of that, I dropped everything I was doing with work and said fuck it, I'm just going to go and do it. Why work yourself half to death if you can't make use of what you've created and earned.

I left a bunch of major projects (much to the displeasure of people in my company), handed in my resignation, ended my lease, off loaded almost all of my belongings and booked a one way ticket.

I am starting in Chiang Mai, have a visa for up to 9 months here if I so choose, but probably more like 5-6. Planning to go to Greece after to meet a side of my family I've only ever heard about.
The only possessions I have are a backpack full of clothes and my desktop work station (which was surprisingly easy to transport given how many people write horror stories online).

Anyway, if there is a moral to this story it is - don't take your health for granted, take the signs your body and brain give you and do something about it, it really is better to be poor and healthy than rich and broken.

I'm going to be travelling for at least a year I feel, and working on my own projects (programming/games) that I've wanted to for some time but kept putting off.

Y'all shertards is still my boy tho.

I could go get a job as a store manager pretty much anywhere I want but a few years ago I almost died from a siezure and my entire outlook on life changed.

Sorry I dont mean to make this post about me, just want to let you know you are not alone in feeling the way you do and good luck. Just do what makes you happy.

I could go get a job as a store manager pretty much anywhere I want but a few years ago I almost died from a siezure and my entire outlook on life changed.

Sorry I dont mean to make this post about me, just want to let you know you are not alone in feeling the way you do and good luck. Just do what makes you happy.

Cheers friendo, you too.

[EDIT] Cheers for all the well wishes and positivity, didn't expect so much [/EDIT]

I've been talking for some time about moving overseas and taking a year or so off work, but it always seemed like a bit of a pipe dream.

Over the last 2 years I've been working frantically, crazy hours and an unhealthy lifestyle, trying to do everything to get ahead.
This has led to me doing well financially and in my career, but my health tapped me on the shoulder about 2 months ago and have me a real scare.

In light of that, I dropped everything I was doing with work and said fuck it, I'm just going to go and do it. Why work yourself half to death if you can't make use of what you've created and earned.

I left a bunch of major projects (much to the displeasure of people in my company), handed in my resignation, ended my lease, off loaded almost all of my belongings and booked a one way ticket.

I am starting in Chiang Mai, have a visa for up to 9 months here if I so choose, but probably more like 5-6. Planning to go to Greece after to meet a side of my family I've only ever heard about.
The only possessions I have are a backpack full of clothes and my desktop work station (which was surprisingly easy to transport given how many people write horror stories online).

Anyway, if there is a moral to this story it is - don't take your health for granted, take the signs your body and brain give you and do something about it, it really is better to be poor and healthy than rich and broken.

I'm going to be travelling for at least a year I feel, and working on my own projects (programming/games) that I've wanted to for some time but kept putting off.

Y'all shertards is still my boy tho.
TS in a couple years:

Good for you, man. Do you have any close relationships you’ll be leaving behind? How did people respond to your decision?

Back