just made a homemade preworkout...

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by snakeybizz, Jan 2, 2015.

1. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

...and it tasted like arse

well it wasn't THAT bad tbh...bit sour, definitely not a foul taste or anything

Ingredients were

200 mg Caff

4 g Beta Alanine

5g Creatine

1/2 satchet of Kool Aid - Grape - Unsweetened

imo the above 3 are the essentials for a good preworkout, anything else is just an added bonus like citruline mallate, but for me I just want the above core ingredients to get me going

How should I change the formula to get the taste better...maybe add a full satchet of kool aid?...what about sugar or stevia?

2. Tug

Tug Green Belt

get it down your neck faster

and don't use kool aid

3. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

why not? I was gonna use crystal light instead or gatorade powder

4. Jehannum

Jehannum Double Yellow Card Platinum Member

did you make it at home?

5. Tug

Tug Green Belt

i take creatine and beta alanine everyday already as part of my supplement routine. to me it seems inefficient and costly to add flavour and make it last longer than a few gulps. put it in a small glass of water and neck it.

i'd also save the gatorade for during training if i was someone who sweats a lot because the electrolytes (however meager) may be helpful. otherwise i'd not bother.

6. Voodoo Dahl

Voodoo Dahl Blue Belt

1g creatine is all you need preworkout, creatine has best results post workout.

Add what you want to it... mix it into whatever, add stevia, etc.

7. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

5g creatine seems pretty excessive for a preworkout mix, likewise on the beta alanine. Probably better off having the creatine and BA together with a particular meal so that you form a habit and continue to take them daily, unless of course you plan using that preworkout every day. In that case, you'll develop a tolerance to the caffeine, requiring you to consume more to get the same ergogenic effect, simultaneously increasing the monetary value of your urine as you'll be saturated with BA and creatine and unable to take in the extra.

8. Synapse

Synapse Blue Belt

Creatine and Beta-Alanine have no acute effects and don't need to be taken as a pre workout. Just take them any time. Suck down a cup of coffee pre-workout and you're good.

What Xilliun is saying is a common problem - pairing up "daily takers" with pre workout stims is a poor choice. In fact, that's the entire reason I formulated my performance supplement with no stims. Keep them separate.

9. Seriously-Dead

Seriously-Dead wubbalubbadubdub

Here's my pre/intra workout drink:
    Fresh Squeezed OJ (1-2 oranges)
    1-2 Teaspoons of sugar
    Few pinches of salt
    Handful of frozen fruit
    ~1L Water
    2oz Espresso or 1 cup coffee (separately, pre-workout only)

= 420mg Sodium, 800mg Potassium, 90mg Magnesium, 130mg caffeine, 10-30% RDA of most B-vitamins, 45g of carbs. Delicious every time.

I'm thinking of adding bicarbonate to this mixture for soccer games, but I've never actually used it before. Does anyone know if it will fudge with the taste, and how bad?

10. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

Bicarb on its own or with water isn't exactly tasty... you'd wanna give it a test run first before taking it since it can be likely to cause gastrointestinal problems (explosive diarrhoea).

11. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

I'm just taking the 5g of creatine not for its preworkout effects..all though is does possess that in smaller doses...I'm just throwing it in to get my daily 5g of creatine

anyways I changed the forumla a bit

I took out the kool arse..I mean kool aid, man I really thought that would mask the taste...and I have replaced it with zero calorie sugar free redbull...taste is much better

so its pretty much a sugar free red bull with beta alanine, creatine and a tiny bit of extra caffeine

12. Seriously-Dead

Seriously-Dead wubbalubbadubdub

Ew. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll hold off on that one.

13. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

I haven't tried it for that reason alone. My bowels are bad enough on the best of days. The recommended dose is pretty large at 0.3g/kg, so for me about 25 grams.

I've been told the practice is commonplace in horse racing - the term is called milking. Not sure of the quantities that are used but they're mixed in a large syringe and fed down the horses throat.. hopefully they don't suffer the ill effects that humans do.