Just learned there are more Stars than grains of salt in the Universe

You can add up all the grains of salt that have ever been created and it still wouldnt be as much as stars. Also learned There are more than 1 universe. There can be dozens or even hundreds of Universe.
I think you meant to say grains of 'sand', not 'salt'. More stars in the universe than grains of sand on Earth. The more than one universe statement has not been proven - only a theory.

Universe is infinite so ya there’s lots.
No, actually the universe is now shrinking. If it expanded from 'the big bang', it is finite.

By the way, there are more molecules in a Gallon jug of water than stars in the universe.
No there aren't. Even if you added all the 'atoms' in a gallon of water, it would be way less than the number of stars in the universe.

One 'atom' of Uranium-235 = 143 Neutrons and 92 Protons. The added Neutron starts the nuclear chain reaction. A whole other universe that we can't see - the subatomic universe.

I think you meant to say grains of 'sand', not 'salt'. More stars in the universe than grains of sand on Earth. The more than one universe statement has not been proven - only a theory.

No, actually the universe is now shrinking. If it expanded from 'the big bang', it is finite.

No there aren't. Even if you added all the 'atoms' in a gallon of water, it would be way less than the number of stars in the universe.

One 'atom' of Uranium-235 = 143 Neutrons and 92 Protons. The added Neutron starts the nuclear chain reaction. A whole other universe that we can't see - the subatomic universe.
From a human perspective it’s unquantifiable so infinite works. As of a few years ago it was discovered that the universes expansion has sped up as in the energy from the Big Bang has overcome its gravity. If something else has been released I haven’t heard about it yet.

giphy.gif

I think the subatomic universe is way more fun to look at. Nuclear fission. Splitting the atom.

Nagasaki bomb - 1945: "The result was the fission of about 2.2 lbs of the 13.6 lbs of Plutonium-239 in the pit, i.e. of about 16% of the fissile material present. 1 gram of matter in the bomb is converted into the active energy of heat and radiation, releasing the energy equivalent to the detonation of 21 kilotons of TNT." This is accomplished in 1/1,000,000 of a second. 2 stage bomb.

Ivy Mike bomb - 1952: 4 stage bomb. Nuclear fusion. It takes one Nagasaki style bomb (above) to get things going.
10.4 megatons. That's about 650 Nagasaki bombs at once. First 'Hydrogen' (thermonuclear) bomb. Crazy overkill destruction.

This is basically an ultracondensed summary of the Joe Rogan Experience.

There are 5 sextillion atoms in a drop of water. You're wrong.

3 drops of water beats the low end estimate of stars and 40 beats the high end estimate. A gallon of water beats that total by more than 20,000 fold.

Last edited:
I think the subatomic universe is way more fun to look at. Nuclear fission. Splitting the atom.

Nagasaki bomb - 1945: "The result was the fission of about 2.2 lbs of the 13.6 lbs of Plutonium-239 in the pit, i.e. of about 16% of the fissile material present. 1 gram of matter in the bomb is converted into the active energy of heat and radiation, releasing the energy equivalent to the detonation of 21 kilotons of TNT." This is accomplished in 1/1,000,000 of a second. 2 stage bomb.

Ivy Mike bomb - 1952: 4 stage bomb. Nuclear fusion. It takes one Nagasaki style bomb (above) to get things going.
10.4 megatons. That's about 650 Nagasaki bombs at once. First 'Hydrogen' (thermonuclear) bomb. Crazy overkill destruction.

but have you split a salt atom

You're comparing stars in the universe vs grains of salt on Earth? Doesn't sounds like a fair comparison. How do you know there aren't more salt on other planets?

Just how ancient man used to stand on the shores of far forgotten lands and wonder if there was anything across the sea, we now look into the night sky from our own little piece of land and wonder “what’s out there?”

<TheWire1>

And come up with ways to ruin anything that is out there.

Now imagine how many of those stars have planets, and how many of those planets are in the habitable zone......

You can add up all the grains of salt that have ever been created and it still wouldnt be as much as stars. Also learned There are more than 1 universe. There can be dozens or even hundreds of Universe. Mind effing blown!!<{MindBrown}> So what does that makes us in the scheme of Things?

Stars aren't twinkling. They be pulsing.
jeff-novitzky.jpg

You seem to be new to this universe thing so consider this.

Our galaxy, the Milky Way galaxy has an estimated 400 billion stars, that's 400,000,000,000. That doesn't include all the planets that rotate around each individual star. The Milky Way Galaxy is 150,000 light years wide. 1 light year is app. 6 trillion miles. That makes the width of the Milky Way galaxy 150,000 X 6,000,000,000,000 miles.

Now with all that said, understand that the Milky Way galaxy is only 1 of 100 billion (100,000,000,000) galaxies in the observable universe. I say observable because we can't even see it all. We build bigger telescopes and better technology and all we see is thousands of more galaxies, each containing billions of stars. In fact, the universe is so big, and traveling so fast, we will never be able to see to its edge no matter how advanced our technology becomes because the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light and the light from really distant galaxies can never reach us. Thus, observable universe.
Yeah bro, but there's like, alot of salt...... like, my mom has one of those round cardboard salt things with the metal spout. You know the ones that say "mormons iodes salt" or something. Those have like a zillion salts grains and at the store theres like a hundred cans of it. That's crazy, man.

I wonder if there is salt anywhere besides Earth... good point! Lol!

0_______________________________________________1 trillion

Where is one million on this number line? I always liked this fifth grade question.
Yes there is salt on other planets.

And if we want to move in a quantum direction, there are approximately six hundred quadrillion (600,000,000,000,000,000) salt (NaCl) molecules in just one average sized grain of salt.

grain-of-salt.jpg

gallery-electron-microscope-grain-salt.jpg

You can add up all the grains of salt that have ever been created and it still wouldnt be as much as stars. Also learned There are more than 1 universe. There can be dozens or even hundreds of Universe. Mind effing blown!!<{MindBrown}> So what does that makes us in the scheme of Things?

That's presuming that those stars don't have salt grain laden planets orbiting around them like the earth does to our sun .

Back