"Just keep training... and enjoy."

Spazzmaster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Too much negativity! How about something positive? Here's some simple advice from a guy who just got his black belt from Braulio.

Just a story...

As most black belts will have, I've been through everything possible in jiu-jitsu... I've had injuries which have put me out for months, I've been tapped quickly in the first round of competitions, I've had countless sessions where I perform terribly and land any techniques properly and everything feels like a struggle... BUT I've always just kept training and I've had my fair share of competition success too.

All this rambling nonsense is just my way of telling you all to keep training. Whatever happens just get back on the mats as soon as possible and always work to make yourself better. Most importantly enjoy jiu-jitsu and don't put pressure on yourself, whatever happens, happens :)

Read more of Rob Taylor's thoughts on BJJ on his new blog, The Tattooed Chimp

Stories like these always make me happy, until I see that the person has somehow been able to take leave from work and do BJJ full time at some point. In which case I get bitter and disgruntled.

Stories like these always make me happy, until I see that the person has somehow been able to take leave from work and do BJJ full time at some point. In which case I get bitter and disgruntled.

Ditto. Easy to feel warm when you're stood in the sunshine.

It's called "being unemployed". :icon_lol:

Ditto. Easy to feel warm when you're stood in the sunshine.

Well, I felt the same when I was working in a bank full-time and teaching lessons, running the club website, marketing the club and more, all for free... so is that ok with you? I hope so.

Somehow = by working really hard to build up a club which dominates the local competition scene and ranks highly in the entire UK, and now has 15 affiliates and hundreds of students. People don't get anywhere without working for it.

To the OP, cheers for posting and I'm glad my words have had a positive effect on some people :)

Back