Just how dangerous are guard pulls,standing arm bars/triangles,being slammed holding submission etc?

I think I would rather have a 270 guy jumping guard than a full power thrown where he lands on top of me.

But wait - you drill jumping guard?

LOL.

Sorry.
Why not drill it? It's a good move for competitions and not that easy to execute.

Why not drill it? It's a good move for competitions and not that easy to execute.

I guess if I was going to be drilling from the feet I would be doing takedowns.

It's not unique to BJJ - in fact BJJ is probably one of the safer ones from what I've seen - I made the mistake of typing in "Judo Injury" on YouTube after dislocating my elbow, and MAN are there are a lot of horrific injuries from standup grappling.

I've come to the conclusion that grappling, and in particular standup grappling, is really dangerous - and even the guard can be dangerous - I've tapped in rolling when I felt like my neck might be in danger and let go of stuff to be safe. It only takes a split second mistake to suffer a catastrophic injury that can leave you with long term or even permanent disability. When I get back to training I'm going to be emphasizing safety as the number one priority over all - it's just not worth it - particularly when standing.

Here are a few similar injuries. Not for the faint of heart.

The first injury scares the shit outta me.
Because I got all my grappling injuries (the 2 concussions and the torn mcl) from standup grappling, I have become a guard player/butt scooter, I Don't want to fight a guy that is my level/weight standing anymore, and I was feeling very safe doing so but now I have seen that <6>

For sport BJJ guard pulls are important.

Guard pull are ok. You pull/drag hi our opponent into your guard.

Guard jump are considered dangerous because you jump at your opponent and try to hug like a koala hugs a tree. Meanwhile, he hope that you don't land on his knees and you hope that he does not slam you.

The first injury scares the shit outta me.
Because I got all my grappling injuries (the 2 concussions and the torn mcl) from standup grappling, I have become a guard player/butt scooter, I Don't want to fight a guy that is my level/weight standing anymore, and I was feeling very safe doing so but now I have seen that <6>

I stand up for max 10 seconds, when I'm sure that the other guy will not pull guard, I pull guard

I'm 37 and I love running and hiking, if I need to be a butt scouter to continue, I'm gonna be the best butt scouter I can. If it pisses you off, learn to pass my guard and make me pay

I stand up for max 10 seconds, when I'm sure that the other guy will not pull guard, I pull guard

I'm 37 and I love running and hiking, if I need to be a butt scouter to continue, I'm gonna be the best butt scouter I can. If it pisses you off, learn to pass my guard and make me pay

Completely agree.
Guys who are pissed of by this need to learn passing or go to mma if bjj isn't realistic enough for them.

I haven't 100% given up on standup grappling yet despite my horrific recent injury - but it has definitely changed my attitude. I'm going to be ready to "fall" at any and every moment and not fight to avoid the takedown so hard, basically making more of a game out of it akin to light rolling - but probably will return to BJJ before I return to takedown training however and do more guard pulls for awhile.

I may end up doing a bit of Judo and wrestling specialized training to make takedown training safer - both for my opponents (so I can throw/takedown them easier), and learn to roll/fall better when being taken down, and recognize it so I can react to it. I suspect just becoming a lot better at takedowns will also make it safer due to a widening skill gap.

Yeah mate.
Every time someone tries to jump guard on me I resist a bit and push their torso then dive into a forward roll trying to pin them on their head in a stack. The resulting neck crank often makes people quit because bjj has become too real for them. Also helps me pass the guard.

Cycling or hiking is a good back up

Controlled guard pulls are perfectly safe.

Jumping into submissions or guard is incredibly dangerous.

If the person can slam you during submission attempts then you're doing them wrong. That is extremely preventable.

Yeah - I'm not sure. It's not for me just looking at them makes me scared for my neck/back

What could go wrong?

Yeah - I'm not sure. It's not for me just looking at them makes me scared for my neck/back

What could go wrong?

He got slammed less hard than his guard jump and he is crying about it? Lol

This is VERY true !
I have been boxing for 5 years and never did I get injured. I have been training wrestling and bjj for 3 years and I already sustained 2 concussions and a torn mcl.
While competing in striking sports is very dangerous, training in striking is very safe because you have control on everything that is happening.
If you do touch or light sparring and don't throw punches hard enough to concuss one another, there is literally nothing that can happen except maybe minor facial injuries.
Now, when it comes to grappling, especially standup grappling, you haven't much control on what is happening (except if one guy is way better than the other and is careful…) thus neck/spinal injuries, and even concussions, are likely to happen.

Moreover, we spar way more in grappling sports than we do in striking sports. In addition to that, there is this common misbelief that grappling is safe, so trainers aren't so aware of the risks, while they are very aware of them in striking sports.

And this is from an "accidental injuries" perspective, now if you are talking about overuse injuries, they are obviously way more common and worse in grappling sports than in striking sports.

So, from my own experience, striking can be very very dangerous but also very safe. The safety gap between competing and light training is huge.
Grappling is Always kinda Dangerous (especially wrestling and judo) and the gap between competition and training isn't very big.

As I got older and started training for fun, I realised how much kool aid I'd drunk through the years. I used to be a "BJJ is great because it's the martial art that lets you spar 100% every night and not get hurts cos if you get caught, you just tap and start again"

I ignored:

• Sub held too long
  • Too long spent defending a sub to the very very last milisecond
  • Sweat on mats
  • People being idiots
  • People being clumsy
  • Me being clumsy
  • Not finding the soft part of the mat
Basically, it's as safe as you and your training partners make it.

Back