1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Just how dangerous are guard pulls,standing arm bars/triangles,being slammed holding submission etc?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by TheMaster, Feb 12, 2020.

1. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality Double Yellow Card

Obviously you can't do it on a hard surface but even for standard mat grappling.
    Has been brought to light by the horrific neck snapping vid of Russian grappler.

Never seen or heard of anything like that it in most grappling competitions whether Judo, Greco, Freestyle, Catch or even BJJ.
    They don't just 'go for' inverted arm bars, triangles etc where the head and neck is thrown down to the mat trying to perform technique usually.

Or clinging to an armbar when someone tries to lift you to slam escape.

So a legit discussion just how dangerous are these types of moves for the practitioner if it goes wrong?

2. Os3y3ris Purple Belt

Its a fake technique. I've hit my head more times than I've subbed someone.

3. sb413197 Silver Belt

It's not unique to BJJ - in fact BJJ is probably one of the safer ones from what I've seen - I made the mistake of typing in "Judo Injury" on YouTube after dislocating my elbow, and MAN are there are a lot of horrific injuries from standup grappling.

I've come to the conclusion that grappling, and in particular standup grappling, is really dangerous - and even the guard can be dangerous - I've tapped in rolling when I felt like my neck might be in danger and let go of stuff to be safe. It only takes a split second mistake to suffer a catastrophic injury that can leave you with long term or even permanent disability. When I get back to training I'm going to be emphasizing safety as the number one priority over all - it's just not worth it - particularly when standing.

Here are a few similar injuries. Not for the faint of heart.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  4. Daz2300 Orange Belt

Any situation where you land hard on your neck or upper back is going to be pretty risky even with mats or padding. As well as the risk of spinal injuries you've a good chance of getting concussions from the impact or just jarring your head hard.

This is essentially the reason why an Ippon is an automatic win in Judo; if you launch me through the air on to my back on the majority of surfaces it will likely immediately end any fight.

If by Guard Pulls you mean jumping Closed Guard and wrecking people's knees unfortunately i've seen that happen three times at competitions over the years. I really don't like it because of that it was horrible to see, its just takes a tiny mistake from either person for it to be really dangerous.

5. StanClarker Banned Banned

Funny, we don't think of Judo as dangerous @ all @ our dojo. Again, BJJ is more active in detailed technique concerning chokes, armbar positions. Judo assumes all this is done only on the ground.<{1-2}>

6. lechien Gold Belt

Guard pull is not dangerous.
    Jumping guard is dangerous and silly.

Keeping a sub attempt while your opponent is able to lift you is silly and dangerous. You either have to hook the leg or bail out.

7. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

Jumping close guard should be banned, it’s unrealistic as fuck, and pretty damn dangerous with no real threat.

8. Oshime2 Brown Belt

Agreed. I really hate jumping guard pulls, especially when combined with DQs for slams. So my opponent can launch himself at me legs first from a distance, but I'm obligated to catch him and set him down light as a feather or I get DQed?

9. yetanother Black Belt

You aren't obligated to catch him. If you doge his jump and he falls super hard you don't get penalized.
    If he catches most of the time you will either just stumble and fall relatively gently or fall down screaming with your athletic career over.

10. Evenflow80 Purple Belt

I never jump guard or do flying armbara or anything crazy , but I get stacked ALOT ny much bigger guys and the pressure on my neck is intense. After seeing the Russian guy video I'm either gonna tap and restart or give up the pass.

It's not worth it

11. Smato_rules Blue Belt

I can’t fucking stand these. When we drill jumping guard pulls I’m always paired with the 270lb guy. I’m fucking 185 but the next biggest guy I guess. It makes my legs and back feel like they are gonna collapse

12. sb413197 Silver Belt

That's a very good point. I get why slams are illegal but to be real about it, slamming is absolutely an effective way to escape from a sub and a very common one outside of BJJ gyms; and preventing it is key.

13. sb413197 Silver Belt

Agreed - relying on extreme flexibility isn't really a legit defense - it also doesn't work very well past your early 20s from what I've seen

14. Os3y3ris Purple Belt

I'd just shrimp

15. yetanother Black Belt

The 270lbs guy should be just banned from jumping guard in the gym as that's super dangerous.
    Unless he is made of pure roids and/or tall as a tree he won't be jumping closed guard in competition either.

16. Stoic1 Weapons are my religion

I think I would rather have a 270 guy jumping guard than a full power thrown where he lands on top of me.

But wait - you drill jumping guard?

LOL.

Sorry.

17. tekkenfan Banned Banned

i dont believe in flying submissions unless you are a smaller guy and very athletic i find it to dangerous look at how many arm lock fails online.. its to dangerous a move to go for

18. Smato_rules Blue Belt

He doesn’t like it either, my coach makes us drill it. He’s 53 years old, it’s something he will never use once in live training or competition so it’s reallt so stupid

19. Smato_rules Blue Belt

Yea maybe idk. And yup haha unfortunately we do. Honestly one of my coaches, the one who makes us drill it, is a bit of an idiot and stoned out of his mind the whole time

20. yetanother Black Belt

Maybe send him a closed guard jump injury compilation from YouTube and possibly suggest that he look into it.