Just how bad WAS the Condit/Lawler decision?

He missed 2/3 of his strikes, and many of his strikes were half power strikes designed to look busy. He was Jake Shields like out there.

He landed 82 more significant strikes than Robbie, which is the most in UFC history for a losing fighter...

horrible.

8-9/10

lawler-condit-stats.png

The 5 round of course does a lot.

GSP won the 5 round of the Hendricks, however, he was getting wrecked in the others.
Hendricks won the 5 round of the Lawler fight, but the others 4 was close.
Lawler won round 5 of the Hendricks rematch, and won a fight that Hendricks kinda of dominated during round 2 to 4.
Lawler won round 5 of Condit fight.

So if the fight is close, it looks like they will go with who ever wants it more.
You understand they don't wait until the end of the fight to fill out the scorecards?

It was bad. Overall damage it seemed like a close fight, but this is scored by rounds.

Condit very clearly took 3 rounds. Anyone agreeing with the decision is loosely/biasedly using pride rules or is a Diaz fan still filling salt shakers.

Decision was correct, it was the world realigning itself for rewarding him for not engaging. Hopefully he (and everyone else) re think their strategy so mma doesn't end up like boxing and have a bunch of point fighters as champs

I felt like Robbie put on a performance in the 5th round and stole it.

It didn't feel like a victory for either fighter and Condit came off looking a bit worse during the final round because he was exhausted more than beaten in my opinion.

It was as if Robbie just went wild swinging at air mostly and judges lapped it up.

I like Robbie, but I am getting a bit tired of seeing him slog through the middle rounds and then do the Diego thing in the 5th round.

it could have gone either way, generally the guy that wins the 5th wins the fight

He landed 82 more significant strikes than Robbie, which is the most in UFC history for a losing fighter...

And in the meantime he got his head whipped around every which way like a willow smith video. This was a great example of quality strikes vs quantity strikes. Condit averaged a strike thrown once every 3 seconds in that fight. That's great if he's playing street fighter, but not if he's fighting for a title on the line. There's no chance he was throwing with an abundance of power or bad intentions in even half of those.

Pretty fucking big but that's how it goes sometimes.

Not enough to call an injustice but still bass.

Yeah Condit's weak strikes really exposed Lawler's weak chin on that knockdown and when he rocked him...

And no, generally and as it should be, the guy who wins the majority of the rounds wins the fight. That's why they don't have 1 round and call it "the 5th".

I watched this fight too recently. I didnt care that Condit didn't win because of how he was striking.
I dont care for strikes that don't look fully committed. Appearing busy and actually fighting are 2 different things.

Kind of like Penn-Edgar 1. One fighter displayed more skill but didn't pull away. The other guy wanted it more in the last round and left the judges with a big final impression.

Fuck it.

Robbies fifth round earns him the win imo lol

I had it 3-2 Condit, but figured it was a war and a close fight, so not the worst decision. However, upon watching the fight again, I felt it was a comfortable 3-2 for Condit and am surprised he didnt take the decision.
Round 1 Condit - Close round but Condit dropped Lawler
Round 2 Lawler - Again close but Lawler dropped Condit
Round 3 Condit- Lawler blitzed hard a couple times, but Condit wasn't really in too much danger. Condit meanwhile stayed much busier and landed a lot more.
Round 4 Condit- Lawler didn't throw much at all this round, likely saving for the last round blitz, Condit easily took round 4
Round 5 Lawler - Again a close round, I give it to Lawler by barbarian blitz, although Condit did fire back.
So in my opinion it was round 3 which decided this fight. I gave it to Carlos. The other 4 rounds I felt were pretty clear to score. The judges apparently liked Lawler in round 3 though.
3-2 Condit for me. There has certainly been rougher decisions than this one.

Last edited:
I gave it to Condit but I didn't feel like it was highway robbery.
It's a Jones/Gus kind of situation.
I'm hoping the decision is disputed enough to give the gift of Lawler-Condit 2 to the world.

Disclaimer: I have not re-watched the fight yet.

Back