Just had my tonsils and beard removed, ask me anything

Welcome to hell. The recovery process is absolutely brutal on a tonsillectomy. Day 1 and 2 are easy. It will ramp up and day 7 and 8 are hell. Just hope you don't bleed as well. I just did this last year. You'll lose a lot of weight too. Ice cream is not easy to eat like they say. It's too thick. Make sure you drink A TON of water. Also, something no one prepares you for is the lack of sleep. You can't sleep for long without your throat drying. I could go on and on...

The spoiler shows the typical recovery. You essentially have burns on your throat that need to heal. This is 20 days of healing....

20-days-tonsillectomy-recovery.jpg

Welcome to hell. The recovery process is absolutely brutal on a tonsillectomy. Day 1 and 2 are easy. It will ramp up and day 7 and 8 are hell. Just hope you don't bleed as well. I just did this last year. You'll lose a lot of weight too. Ice cream is not easy to eat like they say. It's too thick. Make sure you drink A TON of water. Also, something no one prepares you for is the lack of sleep. You can't sleep for long without your throat drying. I could go on and on...

The spoiler shows the typical recovery. You essentially have burns on your throat that need to heal. This is 20 days of healing....

20-days-tonsillectomy-recovery.jpg
Wow. Were they removed with laser on those pics?
I sleep well..for now.

Wow. Were they removed with laser on those pics?
I sleep well..for now.

I assume so. Mine were and looked like that. Did they prepare you for the recovery? Day 1 was really easy. I remember I did yard work that day. Day 2 wasn't so bad either. Honestly man, I have a high pain tolerance, and it was brutal. On days 7 and 8, I think I slept maybe 5 hours total. My scabs bled too.

When you see your woman, make sure to throw out this line for the lulz:
tenor.gif

Just busting chops, hope you make a quick recovery.

I assume so. Mine were and looked like that. Did they prepare you for the recovery? Day 1 was really easy. I remember I did yard work that day. Day 2 wasn't so bad either. Honestly man, I have a high pain tolerance, and it was brutal. On days 7 and 8, I think I slept maybe 5 hours total. My scabs bled too.
Mine were removed mechanically. We'll see how rehab differs with different methods.

Mine were removed mechanically. We'll see how rehab differs with different methods.
So basically with a "knife"? You're lucky! That's actually a more dangerous procedure when it comes to bleeding so most doctors don't do it on adults but the healing and recovery is a lot easier. Still nasty and painful but not a living hell.

I had mine done when I was 4. It was awesome I eat icecream for a week and got a power wheels jeep!

I had mine done when I was 4. It was awesome I eat icecream for a week and got a power wheels jeep!
I will eat all the icecream when they let me out!
But I guess I am not getting a jeep...

Last edited:
So guys, today is 2 weeks from my surgery. I feel great, the recovery went a lot easier than I thought it would be. Just a very slight discomfort left, no throat pain whatsoever. And even at its worst at day 3 post-surgery it was not that bad, no worse than a bad case of tonsillitis.
Hitting the gym this weekend, hope my joints will hold up well. Will have to start lightly tho, due to long period of inactivity.
For those who share my problem with tonsils and hesitate - go get a second opinion, and if both doctors recommend it, go for it.

So your tonsils were not removed with lasers? Recovery is easier? I'm wondering why they use lasers here. Less risk?

So your tonsils were not removed with lasers? Recovery is easier? I'm wondering why they use lasers here. Less risk?
From fhat I know laser is less risky during the procedure, but has worse and longer recovery, also I heard about cases where massive amount of scar tissue formed after laser surgery and needed additional operation to remove them.
I could not be happier with how my operation went, as of now.

what's you favorite milkshake flavor?
I have been eating anything I want aside from very very spicy food for a week now. I could eat semi - solid food since day 2.
I like chocolate and strawberry milkshakes, though, if you really wanted to know ;)

They never made me shave when I got my tonsils out 3 years ago.

The recovery wasn’t bad either, I was fine in a week.

Back