Just had a Cavity Removed, Advice Welcomed.

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Man, I feel like absolute crap right now, I noticed in February this year, one of my molars was a bit sensitive whenever I bit down on something hard, then about a week ago, a chip came off on the same tooth, I showed my friend and she told me that I needed to go to the dentist ASAP.

I hit up the dentist, I hadn't been to the dentist for over 11 years (let's just say I bad experiences with dentists from childhood). The dentist said I had a cavity and it was urgent that he operated on it there and then. They hit me with a local anesthetic and then drilled the s**t out of my bottom left molar. They left a gaping hole in my tooth, but said they removed the cavity ...

The whole experience was awful. They filled it with some kind of paste and are going to fit some metal fillings in and around it next week. Actually, it turns out I have 3 more cavities in every corner of my mouth, but the one they operated on today was by far the most serious one, the other three are small-fry compared to the beast they removed today.

As of today, I am going to brush my teeth so carefully, change the way I brush and gonna start flossing every night. I need to visit the dentist about 6 more times over the next few weeks and I'm not looking forward to that at all.

Many of my ex-GFs always commented on the fact that I tend to grind my teeth when I sleep and I am stressed about something ... the dentist told me that this is real bad and will only weaken your already weakened teeth. I'm gonna try sleeping with my mouth open, but I don't know how I can stop grinding my teeth when I am sleeping ;/

Anyone got any similar experiences or advice?

they can make you a custom mouth guard for about 60$ you can sleep with it on and you won't notice you are even wearing it.

As for tooth aches and infection pain, my suggestion is Codeine. Gets the job done.

they can make you a custom mouth guard for about 60$ you can sleep with it on and you won't notice you are even wearing it.

Gonna look into this. May have to have it ordered ... until then, gonna try and calm down before I sleep and sleep with my mouth open/consciously make an effort not to grind my teeth

God you're in the wars at the moment, you poor soul ! Don't you have a broken arm as well?

God you're in the wars at the moment, you poor soul ! Don't you have a broken arm as well?

That's true.

This morning, I went for an x-ray on my arm and a check up with my doctor and then an emergency operation at the dentist in the afternoon, when the dentist saw the true state of my molar. Yeah, it was a pretty rough day ;/

I hadn't been to the dentist for over 11 years

What? How? Where the hell do you li

*looks over to location*

Seriously though, I do the same grinding thing. Talk to your dentist and have them set you up with a custom mouth guard, as another poster said

Thing is, that $60 estimate he gave you isn't exactly correct. The mouth guard itself might be that much, but usually they'll have to get some sort of mold for your teeth, in order to make it. This method may have changed since I got mine a decade ago though. Just saying, expect a bit more than 60 bucks - it all adds up

That's true.

This morning, I went for an x-ray on my arm and a check up with my doctor and then an emergency operation at the dentist in the afternoon, when the dentist saw the true state of my molar. Yeah, it was a pretty rough day ;/

Get some Sake down you, it'll help a bit.

I hadn't been to the dentist for over 11 years

What? How? Where the hell do you li

*looks over to location*

hehe, I guess it's what happens when you consume a shit load of tea and biscuits and don't ever visit the bloody dentist ;/

Thanks for the advice, definitely gonna look into that mouth guard. I'm gonna start flossing every night and carefully cleaning my teeth every time, making sure that there is no plaque or any of that stuff and also being careful not to scrub too hard either.

don't sleep with your mouth open, there's a lot of bad health effects from mouth respiration. use a soft-bristled brush and brush gently, don't scrub the shit out of your teeth trying to get them clean, you probably have enough enamel damage as is.

You can brush and floss all you want, you still have to go to the dentist so that they can look over your teeth through the many ways you can't.

Let this be a lesson learned TS, go to the dentist every six months. Thank goodness you didn't have to go through some root canal.

EDIT: As for the grinding teeth thing... you are gonna have to wear some sort of mouth piece. I'm sure the dentist will mention that to you... but if he/she doesn't, ask about it yourself mate/lad/bloke/gov'na.

You have cavities because of your diet or because you haven't been to the dentist in 11 years. Grinding your teeth can chip away enamel but it's not going to cause an infection.

Dentists may suck but you should go at least every 6 months for a cleaning and check up. Cavities are a pain and expensive.

I know how you feel.
About a month ago I went to the dentist on my lunch break to get a cavity filled.
They told me it had worsened and took it out there and then. Gutted.

this is why you shouldn't be blowing dudes

As of today, I am going to brush my teeth so carefully, change the way I brush and gonna start flossing every night. I need to visit the dentist about 6 more times over the next few weeks and I'm not looking forward to that at all.

make sure you do not brush your teeth vigorously side to side

you will only start causing gum recession doing that

Didn't you dentist give you advice on what to do an expect after having a cavity? Why are you asking sherdog?

And since when is getting a filling a big deal, if it is really bothering you that bad take an ibuprofen.

floss!! i use those little plastic disposable ones w the pick on the other side.

also try dentist approved gum to neutralize/clean your mouth after meals

Back