Just grappled with Sokoudjou

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Yeah I know picture or didn't happen. Unfortunately I don't have but yeah that doesn't change the fact that I rolled with him today.

His strength is like no other I feel that he was kind of laughing inside due to my useless efforts, and I'm not particularly small, 195 and 5'11. The guy feels like 300 pounds, he's like a heavy rock.

Did you at least get an autograph?
Is he coming back to MMA or not?
Why did he barely grapple in MMA btw?

He trained once at my school like 10 years ago. Guy has a physique like a bank vault. Strong AF for sure.

Grappled with him at the airport?

Jokes aside. It is weird that the dude is actually a judoka, but decided to stand and bang mostly in his fights.

Did you at least get an autograph?
Is he coming back to MMA or not?
Why did he barely grapple in MMA btw?

Nah he's not like a superstar for an autograph. He's not coming back due to back injuries.
Not sure about the last one didn't ask him

Jokes aside. It is weird that the dude is actually a judoka, but decided to stand and bang mostly in his fights.

Probably cardio reasons and koing two top 10 fighters back to back in around a minute.

Probably cardio reasons and koing two top 10 fighters back to back in around a minute.
Guy had such potential. He had such a phenomenal rise and then it just didn't last.

Sometimes, when you would watch Sokoudjou, you'd just want to soak it in!

With a back like his, is he able to walk through doorways normally, or does he have to turn sideways?

Judo sucks super hard without the gi, so he would have have to learn wrestling and BJJ. Maybe striking came easier to him. Wrestlers have it a lot easier because they can use there base art.

Yeah I know picture or didn't happen. Unfortunately I don't have but yeah that doesn't change the fact that I rolled with him today.

His strength is like no other I feel that he was kind of laughing inside due to my useless efforts, and I'm not particularly small, 195 and 5'11. The guy feels like 300 pounds, he's like a heavy rock.
Did you check his gi to see if it was weighted

He got fed to the wolves way too early. He had crazy potential

I think he has a huge gas problem and no good fight IQ. He started very competitivea machida, sobral, and Gerard. He basically gave up in most of his fights due to being extremely exhausted

Did you check his gi to see if it was weighted

tumblr_inline_p3b760MjEs1rixako_400.gifv

Sometimes, when you would watch Sokoudjou, you'd just want to soak it in!

<Goldie11>

It is weird that the dude is actually a judoka, but decided to stand and bang mostly in his fights.

I will always remember Sokoudjou’s sick judo takedown of Machida. Even though Lyoto reversed him almost immediately, it was still hugely impressive. One of the only times Machida ever got taken down in his entire career.

Unfortunately, a lot of judoka fall in love with their hands.
After a lifetime of grappling, they punch someone, that someone falls, and now they think they are Mike Tyson.
Sokodjou, Akiyama, Rousey, Lombard, Ishii, Hettes, Smolka, Sidelnikov, Dan Kelly... And i could go on.

Other than Kim Dong Hyun, Dong Hyun Kim, Karo Parisiyan, Aoki and Nakamura, i don't remember too many judoka who actually decided to even try to grapple often.

Same happens to a lot of wrestlers, though.

He got fed to the wolves way too early. He had crazy potential
Well when you KO Lil Nog, Arona back to back you're going to get no easy opponents.

Was pretty much a front runner but a scary one.

I think he has a huge gas problem and no good fight IQ. He started very competitivea machida, sobral, and Gerard. He basically gave up in most of his fights due to being extremely exhausted

Well when you KO Lil Nog, Arona back to back you're going to get no easy opponents.

Was pretty much a front runner but a scary one.

This reminds me of a Lawrence Kenshin video where he was discussing someone fighting Buakaw, some MMA guy who had good Muay Thai but was a massive underdog against Buakaw and knew it. So he went as hard as he could in round one, hoping he could overwhelm Buakaw. Ultimately he lost but that first round he was close to finishing him.

I wonder if that was Sokoudjou's plan. Maybe he was convinced that he wasn't on par skill-wise with Arona, Lil Nog or Machida so he said "I'm just gonna explode on these guys and hope it works".

Back