Just got my Gi

Staring At Fate

Refuse To Lose.
Reaction score
Put it on everything fit good do I have to wear a wife beater or plain tee underneath it though? Was wondering what you guys do since it seems kinda wear have my chest so open.

Ummm. Unless you got man titties, theres no real problem with leaving your chest open.

Most big tournaments won't even allow you to wear anything underneath it.

Rashguard for training maybe???...

If iwear a shirt under i feel like im over heating. Plus taking off a sweaty shirt is no fun.

you could buy some heat weear from underarmour.

i like to have something on because I am scared of getting cooties

I don't rock anything under mine but I feel cooler showing my nips off when my gi gets pulled open, which is quite common for me. Maybe I suck at tying my belt.

If you got a hairy chest that will get snagged up in someones grip it might be a good idea.

I've worn a wife beater or t-shirt for training, but don't think it really matters. Just personal preference I guess. Try without anything underneath, and try with a t-shirt underneath see which one you like better.

hairy-chest.jpg

That could be a small problem.

I have never done GI grappling. Does it really matter if there is a t shirt underneath or not? Are you allowed to grab the undershirt for a good grip or potential choke?

Put it on everything fit good do I have to wear a wife beater or plain tee underneath it though? Was wondering what you guys do since it seems kinda wear have my chest so open.

I think you have to wear a wife beater if you train on the jersey shore

I prefer no rash guard or t-shirt. It get hot enough in the gi for that garbage.

I typically wear a rash guard or some other performance-type fabric shirt under my gi (like UnderArmour heat gear, coolmax, dri-fit, etc., that was suggested above). A decent performance (read moisture wicking) shirt always seems to help me stay cooler than even wearing just the gi because of how it increases evaporation of sweat from the skin. Plus I just feel better having an extra layer (maybe I'm OCD?).

A regular T-shirt makes me feel as though I am about to burst into flames, not to mention the feeling that I suddenly weigh 14 pounds heavier due to all the trapped sweat.

Sometimes I wear a rash guard under the gi in training because it absorbs some of the sweat and my gi won't be totally wet.

But during summertime I usually train just with the gi, it's a pain inthe ass to get a totally sweat soaked rashguard off.

I always wear shirts. It doesn't really make a difference in competition, where you can't wear them, and I don't mind sweating during training. It's good so the sweat won't pour at your partner's face. I only pick shirts of extreme quality and TASTE. Give me a public service announcement shirt telling old people to take their flu vaccinations and I'll fight with all my might. Same with Brazil jerseys from the time of the tetra.

I recommend rash guards but you don't have to wear anything underneath really........except underwear.

Per the IBJJF rules, only women may wear shirts under the gi in competition. During training, it probably doesn't matter, but I'd say don't wear a shirt, only so that you get accustomed to training how you fight/compete. Gis come open, and occasionally you have to deal with a face full of man belly in competition; you might as well get used to it.

Per the IBJJF rules, only women may wear shirts under the gi in competition. During training, it probably doesn't matter, but I'd say don't wear a shirt, only so that you get accustomed to training how you fight/compete. Gis come open, and occasionally you have to deal with a face full of man belly in competition; you might as well get used to it.

I stacked some kid when trying to go for my first sub (I'll get it someday!) in live rolling and he started laughing and was like "you have a jiggly belly" - I laughed too.

MA in general are helping me lose weight though.

Back