Just got my blue belt

congrats man.

got mine in 11 months, really is a sense of accomplishment thinking back to the major whippings i was taking in the beginning

I take it a lot of people missed my correction on that. I trained for about 6 months, but then went to Japan for 6 months. I've been back and training since about February. The total time I've been into jiu jitsu has been like a year and 4 months, but there was a 6 month break in there, so total training time is about 10 months.

I would say most people who train consistently (3 or more days a week) get their blue in a year. Some may get it faster (the really talented guys), and some it may take 1 1/2 to 2 years.

It really depends on your instructor, how often you train, natural talent, and competitions.

not all people are created equally. some just have more talent than others. its a tough pill to swallow for some (obviously) but some are just are more talented. so it doesn't surprise me that someone could get a blue belt in 4 months.

not all people are created equally. some just have more talent than others. its a tough pill to swallow for some (obviously) but some are just are more talented. so it doesn't surprise me that someone could get a blue belt in 4 months.

I didn't get my blue belt in 4 months! Sorry, I'm just trying to clear this misconception up.

whats r they givin' them away now. If my coach gave me a blue after 10 month I'm either BJ Penn or I'm givin' the blue belt back.

No one at my gym gets a blue in 10 months.
No 10 month noob gets a blue belt at my school either, but I'm not too keen on the whole "rejecting a promotion" thing. You should always respect your instructor's judgment, if he says you're a blue belt then you are a blue belt. This guys instructor says he's a blue belt so what's the problem?

10 months is fast. Nobody at my school gets their blue that fast.

Tonight i wasn't even thinking of going to class, but i decided to anyway. After like 30 hour into the class Joao comes out and tells the other black belt to put it on hold. He told us to form up into the little gauntlet thing, in 2 rows, and that people were getting promoted. 2 or 3 other guys went first, and then me. He gave me the belt, tied it, then sent me through to get my whipping. I've been training for about 10 months or so, but there was a 6 month gap in that from when i was deployed with the Marine Corps. I was really mad about that, because when I came back i was so shitty. I started doing double sessions for a while and really picked up my game. At least now I'm not the automatic volunteer anytime they need someone to clean the mats.
dam congrats for getting your blue belt and serving, much respect bro. Dang you probably get your black belt in 2 years lol..

Congrats, I received my blue about the same time. Now My purple belt on the other hand seemed like it took forever.

Nice, congratulations on the promotion!

Congrats bro

Watch out for all the white belts who want to justify there egos on you.

No 10 month noob gets a blue belt at my school either, but I'm not too keen on the whole "rejecting a promotion" thing. You should always respect your instructor's judgment, if he says you're a blue belt then you are a blue belt. This guys instructor says he's a blue belt so what's the problem?

I just don't like the thought of gyms giving away blues, kind of devalues them. I can't wait to see him at a turney

I've been training for almost two years and have one stripe mainly because I do not go to "testing."

Congrats!

I just don't like the thought of gyms giving away blues, kind of devalues them. I can't wait to see him at a turney

Just because someone get's their belt quick doesn't mean they are not deserving. I got mine in 7 1/2 months, only training twice a week, but you don't know the extenuating circumstances, i did well in competition and i had prior JJJ training. This guy hasn't stated wether he has competed or whether he had prior training, so how 'bout you respect the belt until you see him roll?

Don't crucify him until you see him trying to hit a kimura from in your guard.

EDIT:

OH SNAPZ YELLOWZ BELTZ

Back