Just got laid off - Not enough work due to COVID :(

That sucks man, what kind of IT? I wouldn't expect that industry to have been hit that hard by this, although I guess everything is interlinked and one industry crashing effects others.

Either way, sorry to hear and hope you find something better soon. In addition to looking for work, put something about this up on your linkedin account. Make it relatable and positive and then start interacting with those who post stuff frequently there to get yourself more profile hits. Best of luck.

During the Obama’s first tern, unemployment lasted 99 weeks. Basically two years. If Biden wins, it could be pushed up if the unemployment is still sky high. My two cents would be just apply through the EDD website and begin the job hunt ASAP. Hopefully, you’ll land something.

Wait, why don’t you get unemployment? You were laid off.

I do get unemployment but it ends after a certain time right? I gotta look into all this stuff. Like I said unemployment doesn't even cover my rent but at least it's something!

That sucks man, what kind of IT? I wouldn't expect that industry to have been hit that hard by this, although I guess everything is interlinked and one industry crashing effects others.

Either way, sorry to hear and hope you find something better soon. In addition to looking for work, put something about this up on your linkedin account. Make it relatable and positive and then start interacting with those who post stuff frequently there to get yourself more profile hits. Best of luck.

Good call on LinkedIn. I work in IT but not for an IT company so my company was hit. They decided to "reorganize" things and they sent a ton of work to India where they can get 4 employees there for the price of 1 here.

I was/am in IT. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area of California so there is a lot of stuff here but the commutes are just plain BRUTAL and the competition is fierce. I had a great job where it was flexible and paid great and had great benefits and really cared about people. Sucks. Now I'm off to the highest (or only?) bidder I guess.

You should be fine since you're in IT, as long as you're somewhat competent in whichever part of IT you specialize in.

Hopefully as you're in IT there will be an abundance of oppurtunities, or at least one for you.

Stay solid bro, don't let it knock you down, you know we're pulling for you. We're in for the long haul man

There is a bunch of stuff here......well at least there is stuff online. I have no idea the availability of it or how hard/easy it is to get without have a connection at these places. I already see some really great jobs that I'd love to have but It could be me and 1000 other people or having to have a 90 minute commute or something. I don't know. Everyone out there will be like me and just "settle" for anything to make ends meet.

This is going to ripple for a long time. People are going to accept jobs they don't want. Then look for stuff they do want and jump ship ASAP, which then the other company has to re-hire and re-train. This is a giant mess out there for everyone.

Man I’m sorry to hear that. Do you have a trade or skill to fall back on?

I know unemployment may go down, but at least that’s something, also the second stimulus check seems to be going through. Hold out for a little bit and look for odd jobs here and there. Framing crews often hire guys with no experience to help clean up job sites, cleaning crews, moving companies, etc You got this!

Sorry dude, After every storm comes a rainbow, something better awaits you..

I do get unemployment but it ends after a certain time right? I gotta look into all this stuff. Like I said unemployment doesn't even cover my rent but at least it's something!

You’re in luck. Reading this, it appears that in CA, unemployment has been extended and it appears to be a maximum 59 weeks. So, that is over a year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sf...tends-unemployment-benefits-by-7-15381136.php

Jobless Californians could get up to seven additional weeksof unemployment benefits, bringing the maximum duration to 59 weeks for those on regular state unemployment and 46 weeksfor those receiving Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, according to an Employment Development Department announcement Wednesday

Man I’m sorry to hear that. Do you have a trade or skill to fall back on?

I know unemployment may go down, but at least that’s something, also the second stimulus check seems to be going through. Hold out for a little bit and look for odd jobs here and there. Framing crews often hire guys with no experience to help clean up job sites, etc. You got this!

I'm an all around really handy fella :) - I can fix pretty much anything that isn't too difficult. But I got a shoulder injury, but screw that if I have to push through it. I couldn't be a full time person in the trades like carpenter or anything like that.

Regular unemployment in CA at 440 a week lasts for 1 year. The federal bonus is ending now

I'm sorry, friend, what a horrible time we're in. You know where I am, and you know I'm not the only one here when you need a bit of cheery conversation or a vent, or to be sad.

Near the end of my tether too, doesn't really seem like any light at the end of the tunnel while trying my best to hold it all together. I fear it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Way too many socially awkward dudes here in California got into IT the last 10 years. The market is beyond Saturated. Guys are going to have to man up and move to Arizona / New Mexico if they have to.

Not talking about you, sucks you lost your job.
It’s just IT is full of goobers now . It’s tough

I'm an all around really handy fella :) - I can fix pretty much anything that isn't too difficult. But I got a shoulder injury, but screw that if I have to push through it. I couldn't be a full time person in the trades like carpenter or anything like that.
Thank goodness you have some handy skills (most people don’t). Injuries suck, but when you got a family, gotta do what you gotta do. I had to work a cotton field for 2.5 years to pay for college / crappy apartment as a newly wed. Sometimes life really sucks, but you can pull through.

There is a bunch of stuff here......well at least there is stuff online. I have no idea the availability of it or how hard/easy it is to get without have a connection at these places. I already see some really great jobs that I'd love to have but It could be me and 1000 other people or having to have a 90 minute commute or something. I don't know. Everyone out there will be like me and just "settle" for anything to make ends meet.

This is going to ripple for a long time. People are going to accept jobs they don't want. Then look for stuff they do want and jump ship ASAP, which then the other company has to re-hire and re-train. This is a giant mess out there for everyone.

How long have you been in IT? Surely you've made some connections over the years with other IT professionals and executives. This is where LinkedIn comes in handy. My current job was recommended to me by a former executive over LinkedIn, so leverage those networking connections.

Lots of ppl aren't paying mortgage/rent because of this whole covid pandemic. You can't be evicted atm. I wish you the best man.

Felt bad for you until the last sentence.

Sigh....if only YOU had nuts.

TS, consider consulting. My company has been moving away from employees to 'contractors' for a while. Of course, some are going to India, but some need to be local. We even just force moved 1200 people to Infosys, so they'll be contractors whether they want to or not. Sucks.

Im sorry, bro. Dont let yourself down. Keep fighting motivated and believing better days will come, cause they will. Keep fighting ! Maybe consider working abroad … if possible ...

Lots of ppl aren't paying mortgage/rent because of this whole covid pandemic. You can't be evicted atm. I wish you the best man.
Whatever you do, please dont take this "you cant be evicted" nonsense seriously. The bank does not care why you didnt pay and will not be doing any one any favors.

My work laid off about 100 people (35 to 40% off the company) this past Monday. They carried everyone on furlough and paid there health insurance since March but business is struggling.

Sorry to hear man, hopefully it leads to a better job

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. I got canned early this month, and am frantically job searching myself.

Back