Just got done with WRESTLING practice :)

The time doesn't matter. Whenever's most convenient is usually best, although running at night can be good because the temperature is lower. If you haven't done much longer, steady state work, start off with easy. Eventually you want a pace that's moderately challenging, but still a couple notches done from your all. For examle if your best would be a 5:30 pace, aim for 6:30.

The time doesn't matter. Whenever's most convenient is usually best, although running at night can be good because the temperature is lower. If you haven't done much longer, steady state work, start off with easy. Eventually you want a pace that's moderately challenging, but still a couple notches done from your all. For examle if your best would be a 5:30 pace, aim for 6:30.
thanks. its rainy here today and im going to run on my treadmill. Thanks for the advice bro:icon_twis

So i just got done running. I went pretty hard. lol. i don't think its that bad is it? I went 40 minutes and the back side of my ankles were burning like crazy, but there was no way i was going to stop. My wind was fine up until the last 5 minutes when i was like whoa and the last minute i turned the speed all the way up. wow! i almost threw up but not quite there.

- Im also thinking about maybe taping my mouth shut so i dont breathe out of my mouth. Would this work while doing it? (i know it sounds weird)

- Should i keep the intensity up or just tune it down a bit?

Thanks and it was a tough hard fought run. Man 5 minutes has never felt so long in my life! i would look at the clock every minute and when the 40 minutes finished i was like aaaaa!!! haha:icon_twis

So i just got done running. I went pretty hard. lol. i don't think its that bad is it? I went 40 minutes and the back side of my ankles were burning like crazy, but there was no way i was going to stop. My wind was fine up until the last 5 minutes when i was like whoa and the last minute i turned the speed all the way up. wow! i almost threw up but not quite there.
Again to lower your RHR this is probably too hard, but you'll never now for sure until you run with a heart rate monitor. However your RHR is ok, so you might not want to make this your priority.

- Im also thinking about maybe taping my mouth shut so i dont breathe out of my mouth. Would this work while doing it? (i know it sounds weird)
I think it's a bad idea, you can't possibly be efficient this way IMHO.

- Should i keep the intensity up or just tune it down a bit?
It totally depends on your objective. Did you read EZA's thread?

Perception of effort is interesting, but is probably not the best metric. If you get a heart rate monitor, it will unequivocally tell you what your heart rate was at rest and during your training efforts. That's the only real metric that matters. As an athlete, it's really unlikely that you have the ability to "by feel' measure how hard a workout was.

Get the HRM. Figure out what your RHR is. Train appropriately.

Ok so i just got done with wrestling practice. I wrestled with guys both heavier and lighter than me. I also wrestled a guy who is in his 2nd year of college and use to be a big wrestler. I took everyone that i wrestled down, but he ( the college kid ) and the kid who is 15lbs lighter than me who took 2nd in sectionals last year took me down twice.

So heres the problem guys.

1) CARDIO- If i had a Sean Sherk like gas tank i would never have a sloppy stance and could kill everyone. I just tire out half way through the practice. Or i wrestle hard for 1 minute and than im like aaaaaaa waaaa. seriously! I feel like sleeping cuz my cardio is bad. I weigh in at 165 and plan on dropping to 145 for the Wrestling season AFTER football season.

Im trying to get my cardio up but i think its just to hard because i have so much muscle mass. ( not bragging )
Bench: 300
Squat: 350 ATG. 405 Parallel.
Deadlift: 350x3

So ive been doing my program and only started this past monday. How does it look for cardio? If i need more cardio, just tell me....

MONDAY
Morning: OFF
Evening: weight training

no. thats not it. Its that i barely have any GOOD experience. I have wrestled 3 years. 2 in modified. Where we fooled around. I knew nothing. And 2 in varsity when we had an old coach who had no discipline. Everyone would pretty much do what they wanted and my last year i was hospitalized for 2 weeks with staff infection. This is my first REAL year of wrestling. Im going to learn as much as possible and i know im gonna win a lot because of my determination. But back to on why these guys are beating me later in the round. to say that the first minute and a half im beating these guys than completely gassing shows that if my cardio was peaked, i would perform much better. If you don't have anything nice to say just don't post here. thanks. O and i also think Im using all of my strength and not pacing myself in the beggining and i need to learn to control that and use more of my techniques/moves.

QUESTION FOR ALL:....................................................................
But another question. I was thinking about doing the tabata workout tomorrow. 20 seconds on with 10 seconds rest. Im going to do them with powercleans. I think im going to go with around 80 pounds, so i don't kill myself by the 8th set. I have read up on these things and it shows that it would do me good. I will also build some power and muscle endurance doing this high rep intense sets. I have never done this type of work before but i can't wait to try it.

So would be doing 80lb powercleans be good for 4:00 8sets 20 second on 10 second rest? I think it looks good. But maybe i should lower/raise the weight.

ANY IDEAS?:icon_twis

Don't do Tabata power cleans. Your form will break down incredibly. And if it doesn't then your not doing enough weight/reps.

Second, the Tabata study used 20s work, 10s rest at 170% aerobic capacity. This is important if someone wanted to replicate the study to achieve similar results, or wanted to experiment with one of the variables in the study. But beyond this there is nothing special about 20s work, 10s rest, and applying it to things like power cleans, squats, push-ups, burpees etc. has nothing at all to do with the Tabata study, beyond sharing the same work-rest times, which, by itself is meaningless.

What you want is an exercise where your technique won't break down, or if it does break down it isn't a huge issue. Prowler work, sled work, hill sprints, shouldering a sandbag, etc. Then you want to figure out which energy system(s) you want to focus on. So let's say the priority is the ATP energy/alactic anaerobic, so your work times will be between ~10-20s. Your rest time will depend on your level of conditioning, and how many work periods you want to get through. Or you set yourself a particular rest time, and see how many rounds you make it through. For example, if you do hill sprints, your rest time could be the time it takes to walk back down to the bottom the hill. Keep going until your hill sprints really start to slow down.

Don't do Tabata power cleans. Your form will break down incredibly. And if it doesn't then your not doing enough weight/reps.

Second, the Tabata study used 20s work, 10s rest at 170% aerobic capacity. This is important if someone wanted to replicate the study to achieve similar results, or wanted to experiment with one of the variables in the study. But beyond this there is nothing special about 20s work, 10s rest, and applying it to things like power cleans, squats, push-ups, burpees etc. has nothing at all to do with the Tabata study, beyond sharing the same work-rest times, which, by itself is meaningless.

What you want is an exercise where your technique won't break down, or if it does break down it isn't a huge issue. Prowler work, sled work, hill sprints, shouldering a sandbag, etc. Then you want to figure out which energy system(s) you want to focus on. So let's say the priority is the ATP energy/alactic anaerobic, so your work times will be between ~10-20s. Your rest time will depend on your level of conditioning, and how many work periods you want to get through. Or you set yourself a particular rest time, and see how many rounds you make it through. For example, if you do hill sprints, your rest time could be the time it takes to walk back down to the bottom the hill. Keep going until your hill sprints really start to slow down.

ok cool. I guess im doing hill sprints and then jogging back down and doing them over and over until i break tomorrow. thanks again man:icon_twis

Back