Just got done with WRESTLING practice :)

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Bright5086200, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

Ok so i just got done with wrestling practice. I wrestled with guys both heavier and lighter than me. I also wrestled a guy who is in his 2nd year of college and use to be a big wrestler. I took everyone that i wrestled down, but he ( the college kid ) and the kid who is 15lbs lighter than me who took 2nd in sectionals last year took me down twice.

So heres the problem guys.

1) CARDIO- If i had a Sean Sherk like gas tank i would never have a sloppy stance and could kill everyone. I just tire out half way through the practice. Or i wrestle hard for 1 minute and than im like aaaaaaa waaaa. seriously! I feel like sleeping cuz my cardio is bad. I weigh in at 165 and plan on dropping to 145 for the Wrestling season AFTER football season.

Im trying to get my cardio up but i think its just to hard because i have so much muscle mass. ( not bragging )
    Bench: 300
    Squat: 350 ATG. 405 Parallel.
    Deadlift: 350x3

So ive been doing my program and only started this past monday. How does it look for cardio? If i need more cardio, just tell me....

MONDAY
    Morning: OFF
    Evening: weight training

2. spiral

spiral Banned Banned

What is your resting heart rate? That should be the first parameter on which to base your cardio routine.

What do you mean by "light running" exactly? Long distance at slow pace?

3. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

Light run. Its not really light. Its hard enough that i will be like man. i hate this.

It goes
    10 minute run. Hard but not hard enough to puke. So i still drop at the end of it and am like "holy crap dude" but im not like aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! puke puke puke. u know.

Then i rest 2 minutes and i go at it again for another 5 minutes. So technically its not a light run, but its a run. And i figure, why run for more than 15 minutes for a 3 2 minute periods, you know?

Uhh my resting heart rate right now isssss..... around like 63-65. i think thats pretty bad isnt it?

If i keep running and doing this program could i get it down and have better endurance cuz thats where i am getting murdered.

thanks man. Im guna buy a heart rate monitor now and when im working out i guess i can try to get my heart rate over 180bpm. for working out.

obviously my goal would be to get my resting heart rate to around 45-50. that would be amazing.

4. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

It's not bad, but could be better for grappling. Your heart rate is pretty much determined by how much blood you can pump in a single heart beat. If I were you, I'd be focused on trying to drop this to the mid 50's, and I'd do that before I worked on any other aspects of cardio. It should probably only take you about a month of effort, as long as that effort is focused on RHR reduction. Unfortunately, RHR reduction is boring. It means doing cardio at about 60% of your MHR for 60-90 minutes several times a week. You'd do this until you got the RHR down into the 50's and then focus on a different aspect of your cardio.

Endurance means a lot of different things. There's some specific weakness you have, and you should be focusing on whatever that is. It's not quite as simple as "endurance". If you are willing to put effort into understanding your problems, Joel Jamieson's book is excellent.

Getting your heart rate to 180 is not the best way to get your RHR to 45-50. Low resting heart rates come from having a large (left?) ventricle in your heart. You get a ventricle by stretching it out by filling it with blood. At higher heart rates, your heart is beating before it is actually full, which doesn't stretch it in a way that improves your resting heart rate.

5. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

hey thanks for typing all of this. i appreciate it.

My questions.....

1) So your telling me that i should run around 1 hour each and every day at a medium intensity?

2) - Or - Should i continue what im doing?
    10 minute hard run. 2 minute break. 5 minute hard run EVERY DAY?

3) It will take 1 month to stretch that thing out?

4) BIGGY QUESTION: Will i loose muscle mass trying to stretch this thing out, or should i just eat more?

5) Have you done this before and how was your experience? How do you know all these things?
    Personally experience?
    Research?

6) what is your resting heart rate?

7) How old are you. im 17 btw.

i know some of those questions might sound weird but if you answer all those you will give me a better look at the cardio aspect of my training. THANK YOU:icon_twis

6. Oprahwindfury

Oprahwindfury Orange Belt

7. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

i wrestle right now at 165. i will be 145-152 by the season.

8. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

bump for more replies. thank ya:icon_twis

9. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

1) I think your conditioning isn't programmed very well. For your conditioning you want to develop all of the energy systems shown below, as well as train with work-rest periods that mimic those used in wrestling. You also need a certain amount of volume. I don't think runninng 10 minutes and then running 5 minutes is enough. An aerobic base is important because all conditioning work will tax the aerobic system, and if your aerobic ability sucks, you'll have a hard time developing good anaerobic conditioning. The various energy systems are shown in this graph.

[​IMG]

2) Given your squat, bench and deadlift numbers, I suspect you need to put more emphasis on back work. This doesn't necessarily mean more exercises, but more work into the back exercises you're already doing.

3) More variety in conditioning work would be beneficial.

4) Including core work after your wrestling doesn't make sense, unless it's part of training wrestling. I.e. core work is part of exercises done in class.

Maybe something more like:

MONDAY
    Weight training - followed by prowler work (or one of the conditioning suggestions posted by Glenn Pendlay here)

TUESDAY
    Passing league & (Burpee challenge) with hard run.

WEDNESDAY
    Morning: Steady state run. 30-40 minutes. Could be swimming or cycling instead, for variety.
    Evening: Wrestling

THURSDAY
    Weight training - followed by conditioning work, see monday.
    OR
    Speed work (some sprints, some jumps, maybe a dynamic lift or two) followed by "strong man" type conditioning work, like tire flips, farmer's walks, log or axle presses for time, zercher carries.

FRIDAY
    Steady state run. 30-40 minutes. Could be swimming or cycling instead, for variety.

SATURDAY
    Weight training - followed by conditioning work, see monday.

SUNDAY
    OFF. Could include active recovery, like walking or swimming.

5) I don't think you're at the point where training twice a day makes sense, although you could do conditioning work several hours after lifting, instead of immediately after. You can also fit in grip and neck work in a few of the mornings or evening that you don't train. Beyond that if you want to train more, add more volume to your workouts first - 15 minutes of running doesn't cut it (unless it's made up of intervals, and even then...).

6) Can you train wrestling more frequently? Even if classes aren't held more frequently, do you know someone you can practice with? Or cross training with a different martial art (ideally one where you grapple, since it would carryover better to wrestling)? This will help your wrestling more than anything else.

7) I don't what you mean when you say "loose" muscle mass? Are you talking about Hypotonia? Or could you possibly mean "lose" instead of "loose"?

10. spiral

spiral Banned Banned

Answers in red.

11. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Are you club wrestling?

12. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

wow thanks everyone for the answers. I learned a lot. I think im going to go with the program outlined by the guy who gave me one. forgot his name but it looks good. Hes pretty much saying to weight train first and then focus on the cardio aspect. I also like the prowler work.

Thanks for answering my questions man. I guess running for extended periods of time will do better. but both anaerobic and aerobic have their place.

And for the other guy. No i don't do club wrestling. I wish i did. Im sorry for saying that i had wrestling practice. Its just summer roll around. so i go in their once every week. I could ask my coach to place another one but football is 3 weeks away so i dont think that would be beneficial right now. Im just trying to work on my speed/strength/cardio so when football comes ill be ready to hit some people and then be just as ready for wrestling as i hope to place in top 3 sectionals.

Thanks everyone!:icon_evil

13. 70sBigJiuJitsu

70sBigJiuJitsu White Belt

Running and lifting are good supplemental exercises to improve your wrestling, but the thing I feel improves my wrestling cardio the most is wrestling. I feel that the more live wrestling you get in the better your endurance gets. Try getting a couple of guys from your team that are around your weight and run shark tank drills. The important thing during these drills is intensity. Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't be spazzing out, but you should be constantly working for the takedown on the feet, the escape on bottom, and the turn on top. You will want to stall to get a breather, but try to avoid it at all costs.

14. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

If you aren't club wrestling, then I'm not sure what the question is. Wrestling season doesn't start for several months. And if you're playing football, you'll have plenty of practice, lifting, conditioning leading up to that. Not to say you can't supplement, but I'd wait until you feel the work load before adding to it.

Football shape and wrestling shape are completely different animals. TAke a finely tuned and conditioned football player and put him on the mat and he'll gas in the first period. So prepping for wrestling while you're playing football may not work out like you hope. Luckily, you get several weeks between the last football game and the first wrestling meet to make the transition. One thing at a time.

15. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

yea thanks. But its always good for me to get in there and roll around while our new coach teaches us 1 move every week. Ill remember that and use it for wrestling.

Football season is around the corner, but i still think that wrestling helps. Its a different type of training and i like doing it. Good cardio workout.:icon_twis

16. amart107

amart107 White Belt

I agree strongly. If you want to be in shape to wrestle... wrestle!!!

Also, cardio in wrestling is about... 60% technique/relaxation 40% conditioning. If you are wasting energy by performing inefficient movements, you will get tired FAST! It's also very important to learn how to control your breathing, and relax muscles you aren't using. Watch a 100m sprinter and a marathoner - about the only thing they have in common is how unbelievably relaxed they look. That level of relaxation comes from practice and knowing how to keep your cool. Panic = high heart rate, rapid fatigue.

17. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

thanks man :icon_twis

18. plugchop

plugchop Blue Belt

[​IMG]

19. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

lol. nice call. i like to compare myself. I know its a little far fetched, but it makes me feel good when i do :icon_chee

20. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

so friday is coming up tomorrow. I plan on going for a 40 minute run. Should i push myself hard?? or should i just go at a steady easy pace? like what percent would you think i should run at? I can go pretty hard if you think its best. Or should i just go steady for the full 40 minutes. Im not sure, but i would like to know by tomorrow. also does it matter what time i run. morning afternoon or night?