Just got an NVIDIA Shield...any tips?

cabear

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
just bought an nvidia shield tv pro and decided to use it as an emulation station. after messing with it all day, everything but saturn and gamecube and neogeo didn't run. i dunno, i'm not sold on it. i definitely paid for the convenience of a hard drived android machine but if i cant get the gamecube and saturn games to run then i'll just scrounge up an old ouya. anyone have any tips on which android and saturn files and such work best on the nvidia shield tv pro? the neo geo problem seems to be an issue of using an older mame rom set so i can sort that but the saturn and gamecube refuse to run no matter the format (iso, etc).

Can a Ouya run Saturn files?? I don't know, I have a shield but I've only used it as a tablet really and I only did a psx emulator. Sega Saturn has always been difficult to emulate.

just bought an nvidia shield tv pro and decided to use it as an emulation station. after messing with it all day, everything but saturn and gamecube and neogeo didn't run. i dunno, i'm not sold on it. i definitely paid for the convenience of a hard drived android machine but if i cant get the gamecube and saturn games to run then i'll just scrounge up an old ouya. anyone have any tips on which android and saturn files and such work best on the nvidia shield tv pro? the neo geo problem seems to be an issue of using an older mame rom set so i can sort that but the saturn and gamecube refuse to run no matter the format (iso, etc).
Ouya isn't going to be able to run anything your NVIDIA Shield can't run. It will just run them crappier, and be more likely to run into bottlenecks where its processing power can't power through code. They both run Android on Tegra chipsets.

What emulator software are you attempting to use to run the games?

oh i just meant dropping the saturn/GC emulation altogether and go back to the Ouya, not that it would run it. sorry for the confusion.

spent all night messing with it and a better part of today trying to get dolphin to work, no luck no matter what build i threw at it, the official release, the other builds from their dev site. it just loaded a black screen and i couldn't seem to figure out why, even used others settings with it to no fix. I have no clue what UoYabause was trying to do for my saturn emulation but the first time i installed it, it had no directory selection. reinstalled and now it's there but won't see the directories. reinstalled and now it just won't read the iso/X format i throw at it again.

i'm doing a factory reset and will return it later, i wasn't wowed by the multimedia experience either so there's that as well. I'll probably beef up the ol PC and get her running better for my emulation stuff.

oh i just meant dropping the saturn/GC emulation altogether and go back to the Ouya, not that it would run it. sorry for the confusion.

spent all night messing with it and a better part of today trying to get dolphin to work, no luck no matter what build i threw at it, the official release, the other builds from their dev site. it just loaded a black screen and i couldn't seem to figure out why, even used others settings with it to no fix. I have no clue what UoYabause was trying to do for my saturn emulation but the first time i installed it, it had no directory selection. reinstalled and now it's there but won't see the directories. reinstalled and now it just won't read the iso/X format i throw at it again.

i'm doing a factory reset and will return it later, i wasn't wowed by the multimedia experience either so there's that as well. I'll probably beef up the ol PC and get her running better for my emulation stuff.
This XDA thread indicates that you must-- or at least should-- have Lollipop (not Marshmallow) running as your Android version:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tablet/themes-apps/dolphin-emulator-t3540726

This appears to be XDA's main thread for Gamecube/Dolphin emulation on the Shield TV:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/general/dolphin-wii-gamecube-emulator-t3134032
Probably best to skip to the end, and work backwards.

Here's a guide cited in that thread:

YouTube uploaders who have demoed Dolphin running on the Shield TV:

ETA mentions that the sound is a bit glitchy in his September 2016 video. But hey, that's emulation.

Ouya isn't going to be able to run anything your NVIDIA Shield can't run. It will just run them crappier, and be more likely to run into bottlenecks where its processing power can't power through code. They both run Android on Tegra chipsets.

What emulator software are you attempting to use to run the games?

Will you answer a quick question for me? My parents are looking into a streambox and it is seems Shield is the best. They are not gamers. Would this still be the stream box for them? Thanks.

My dad asked me about this one. https://www.freestreambox.com/

Will you answer a quick question for me? My parents are looking into a streambox and it is seems Shield is the best. They are not gamers. Would this still be the stream box for them? Thanks.

My dad asked me about this one. https://www.freestreambox.com/
I have a massive thread on this. Post #3 is what you're after.
HTPC (Home Theater PC) in 2017: Your Menu of Streaming Entertainment Products
That "Freestream" is one of the Android TV boxes. I'd recommend going with the Skystream:
https://www.skystreamx.com/
It has by far the best brand reputation in this gray space for firmware support from their end. Hardware specs are ideal for this kind of HTPC box, and they match your Freestream. That's the reason it costs $150 for their Skystream One when the same hardware can be found in $70 offerings on Amazon. You're paying all that for product support.

If you're looking into this stuff you owe it to yourself to follow this constantly-updated OP by the guys who help run Kodi:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

One issue to be aware of with the cheap Android boxes is that for some services (like Netflix) it won't get 4K support. Some of the major video services try to restrict their highest-end service to pre-approved products (like the Fire TV), and there are even some decoding advantages that are restricted to Intel chipsets, so any ARM-based Android or mobile HTPC box won't enjoy them.

I have a massive thread on this. Post #3 is what you're after.
HTPC (Home Theater PC) in 2017: Your Menu of Streaming Entertainment Products
That "Freestream" is one of the Android TV boxes. I'd recommend going with the Skystream:
https://www.skystreamx.com/
It has by far the best brand reputation in this gray space for firmware support from their end. Hardware specs are ideal for this kind of HTPC box, and they match your Freestream. That's the reason it costs $150 for their Skystream One when the same hardware can be found in $70 offerings on Amazon. You're paying all that for product support.

If you're looking into this stuff you owe it to yourself to follow this constantly-updated OP by the guys who help run Kodi:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

One issue to be aware of with the cheap Android boxes is that for some services (like Netflix) it won't get 4K support. Some of the major video services try to restrict their highest-end service to pre-approved products (like the Fire TV), and there are even some decoding advantages that are restricted to Intel chipsets, so any ARM-based Android or mobile HTPC box won't enjoy them.

Thanks. So you wouldn't recommend Shield? I mean my parents are old. They don't know what the fuck they are doing. And about SkyStream, which model would you suggest? $149 or $195?

Thanks. So you wouldn't recommend Shield? I mean my parents are old. They don't know what the fuck they are doing. And about SkyStream, which model would you suggest? $149 or $195?
For the Skystream One, I can't say I really see any major appeal to the peripherals added in the more expensive version. The NVIDIA Shield is a safer bet for those who don't surf the high seas. You have a major company behind that product.

But among major companies NVIDIA isn't exactly a lion in this market. If your parents are old and they want something simple, and they aren't the type who are going to do anything fancy with their box, like surf the high seas, customize their UI, implement flash drives, media servers, or anything else like that, then the safest, most stable, most bulletproof bets are:
  1. Apple TV 4K [upcoming]
  2. Roku Premiere+
  3. Amazon Fire TV (2nd Gen) [not the stick]
Those three are snappy, easy to use, require virtually no setup, no customization, and demand no knowledge of VPN's or gray market apps or anything like that. Everything else has potential hazards, troubleshoots, or other complications where a dearth of knowledge may result in frustration, and a reduced satisfaction thereof.

For the Skystream One, I can't say I really see any major appeal to the peripherals added in the more expensive version. The NVIDIA Shield is a safer bet for those who don't surf the high seas. You have a major company behind that product.

But among major companies NVIDIA isn't exactly a lion in this market. If your parents are old and they want something simple, and they aren't the type who are going to do anything fancy with their box, like surf the high seas, customize their UI, implement flash drives, media servers, or anything else like that, then the safest, most stable, most bulletproof bets are:
  1. Apple TV 4K [upcoming]
  2. Roku Premiere+
  3. Amazon Fire TV (2nd Gen) [not the stick]
Those three are snappy, easy to use, require virtually no setup, no customization, and demand no knowledge of VPN's or gray market apps or anything like that. Everything else has potential hazards, troubleshoots, or other complications where a dearth of knowledge may result in frustration, and a reduced satisfaction thereof.

Thanks again. Hate to bug you but one more thing. lol. Is this a superior alternative to Time Warner and other cable? Should they even bother changing? Is it worth it?

Thanks again. Hate to bug you but one more thing. lol. Is this a superior alternative to Time Warner and other cable? Should they even bother changing? Is it worth it?
Superior? No. These mainline HTPC products and Cable/Satellite/Premium television don't overlap. This isn't an all-chips-in cordcutter strategy, so to speak.

I specifically offer those products because they integrate better with above-water consumers like your parents who probably have a Cable or Satellite service.

This is part of what makes those products so great for people who want the "plug n' play" experience avoiding higher user maintenance. For example, on the Apple TV, there is the app that allows you to link your current Cable service (TIME Warner, in this case) with your password to the Apple TV itself. Once you do, you no longer have to switch inputs to flip between your Cable and your Apple TV. You just access your cable service from within the Apple TV.

It makes jumping between the DirecTV menu and YouTube, for example, simply effortless. Same with Cable or DISH.

The same is true for HBO or other premium services. Almost all of those have apps now, and you simply download the app on the Apple TV or the Fire TV, for example, and then login to your account if you subscribe to HBO. If you don't have one, you can't log in. This isn't piracy.

All of these products are hostile to Kodi, for example, but Kodi requires quite a bit of knowledge to understand, use, customize, and troubleshoot. It also doesn't hurt to know about things like VPNs. This is the stuff I assumed your parents were keen to avoid.

If you want to go that route, then again, Skystream is the longest standing, most seemingly legit company that tries to package this as more of a plug n' play experience, but I have never personally used one. I don't know the potential caveats, or how challenging the average user would find them. I employ even less user-friendly setups, myself. I customize Kodi from the ground-up.

Last edited:
Rez because the Shield just got an update that began rolling out on August 30, 2018, over the past week, when it launched on May 28, 2015-- a full 1,190 days earlier (3yrs3mo2day):

NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV gets SHIELD Experience 7.1 with NVIDIA Share and 120Hz support
XDA said:
The NVIDIA Shield Android TV box is one of the best supported Android devices on the market. Launched in May of 2015, the company has been keeping it up to date with a pretty solid consistency. Android 8.0 Oreo arrived back in June with the SHIELD Experience 7.0 update, swiftly followed by a bugfix update to SHIELD Experience 7.0.1. Now, SHIELD Experience 7.1 is beginning to roll out for NVIDIA SHIELD TV owners in the closed preview program, and it brings NVIDIA Share and 120Hz display output support. You can check out the changelog below.

For those wondering, NVIDIA Share is basically just ShadowPlay but on an Android TV box. It can be used for recording gameplay moments and taking screenshots, though it was removed with the initial update to Android Oreo. What’s even better for gamers, though, is 120Hz support for supported monitors and TVs. That means you’ll be able to game at higher refresh rates, making for an overall smoother experience. It’s a small addition, but one that many gamers, in particular, will enjoy. You can check out a video of the new update below by YouTube channel NVIDIA Android Gaming.

On top of that, you’ll also get other features depending on the device you have. The NVIDIA SHIELD 2017 gets a “Restart” option added to its quick settings, while the SHIELD Pro and SHIELD 2015 get a “Restart” option and a “Power off” option. To access these quick settings, simply hold down the back button while on the home screen. These are mostly just basic features which were on the device but removed for whatever reason with the Android Oreo update.

The update is currently rolling out as a private early access build, so the general public can’t get it yet. Still, assuming all goes well it’s likely that you’ll get the update on your NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV device in the near future. It’s a testament to the company that they are still updating the older 2015 SHIELD device despite them releasing two iterations after it. There are few manufacturers supplying three years of updates to their Android devices, yet NVIDIA seems to be doing it with ease. It’s likely thanks to the Tegra processors on board as they control the hardware, but it’s impressive nonetheless.
nvidia-shield-7.1-update-changelog-1024x576.jpg

It may not be a big update, but even the Apple TV looks on in envy. The Apple TV 4th Gen that is still on the latest tvOS version was launched in October, 2015.

*Edit* Update 9/10/2018

NVIDIA Releases 399.24 WHQL Driver, NVIDIA SHIELD TV Mobile App
Turns out the update was even bigger and better than expected. They didn't just add all of the above. They also released the NVIDIA Shield TV app for both Android & iOS, added direct wireless keyboard/mouse support, and in-game voice chat support:
Additionally, NVIDIA has quietly released the new SHIELD TV App and the corresponding SHIELD Experience 7.1 system update. The former allows for remote control capability, including Android TV buttons. The latter also brings GeForce NOW and wireless mouse/keyboard support, as well as in-game microphone via the SHIELD controller's internal microphone or wired headset.

Last edited:
Copied, modified, and expanded the below from a post of mine in the PS4 Mini thread. Highly informative for retro gaming:

The NVIDIA Shield TV including its remote controller & Shield dual-analog joystick has seen a permanent price reduction to $169 on Amazon.

The Shield can download entire libraries for past consoles at websites like EmuParadise (note: technically this is considered illegal "piracy" if you don't already own the game).

This YouTuber mentions he doesn't use N64 or PS1 emulation via Retroarch, but installing and operating Mednafen for the PS1, for example, works exactly the same as other other emulators he demos in the video below (alternatively you could also use the exact same open-source emulator the PS Classic uses):

If you don't want to use the Shield controller you can buy retro controllers cheaply. Not every past controller is available. For example, Retro Power only makes the later PS2 controller since it subsumes all of buttons on the PS1 controller, and has a mostly identical physical layout:

The Emulation Wiki is the place to visit to find the top recommended emulators (whether discrete or nodes compatible with meta-programs like Retroarch). There are "Cycle Accurate" emulators for every system from the past millenium, now, or nearly every system, meaning they reproduce the visuals and sound exactly as it was on its native console:
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Last edited:
Back