Just FYI I have been teaching MMA Neo Striking & Footwork for a long time now

TJ's new striking style looks like he watched every move Dominic Cruz does and copied it.

Is there no bandwagon you won't jump on, Dan?

Dan have to be honest, this "neo" seems like marketing bullshit. I mean switch kicks are now "neo"? That's like a 1000 year old technique. Just don't get it.

How come your bio talks about moving from camp to camp? Where's the commitment?

while the basics of in range striking, mostly Dutch style need to be understood and I teach these combos and defense, there is almost no reason to stay in that range and stand and bang in MMA accept to appease Uncle Dana that likes the Garcia Stand n Wang Air Punching School. Nor is modern/future MMA striking near zero footwork Muay Thai.

Neo Striking is a term I have used to accurately describe what I teach, striking at range,blitz attacks, calf and knee kicks, switch stance combos or shifting, tricky setups and combinations, tricky takedown and clinch entries, etc. It does not look like MT or Glory stand in the pocket and bang.

The first vids I posted talking about Neo Striking and Footwork, switch stance were taken like 5 country stops ago, and I talked about it often on the other forum before that. This is not something I just instantly filmed since Rogan said Neo Footwork.

Perhaps many of you should at least watch the first 4 vids I posted before commenting.

It kills me how everyone still thinks MT plus a little BJJ equals MMA in 2015................

Last edited:
If this is the true neo-striking we've all heard about, then why aren't you wearing the customary black suit with Armani overcoat and sunglasses..?

I know people will criticize you, but honestly it doesnt look bad, just some honest questions,

The only reason TJ and MM are able to switch stances and move is because there so much better in wrestling that it doesn't hinder there stand up.

I can't see this style performing well against someone like GSP where you can't over commit to any strike let alone jump right in, because you'll be on your back?

Just curious how neo striking addresses TD'S in the movements???

while the basics of in range striking, mostly Dutch style need to be understood and I teach these combos and defense, there is almost no reason to stay in that range and stand and bang in MMA. Nor is modern/future MMA striking near zero footwork Muay Thai.

Neo Striking is a term I have used to accurately describe what I teach, striking at range,blitz attacks, calf and knee kicks, switch stance combos or shifting, tricky setups and combinations, tricky takedown and clinch entries, etc. It does not look like MT or Glory stand in the pocket and bang.

The first vids I posted talking about Neo Striking and Footwork, switch stance were taken like 5 country stops ago, and I talked about it often on the other forum before that. This is not something I just instantly filmed since Rogan said Neo Footwork.

Perhaps many of you should at least watch the first 4 vids I posted before commenting.

I think the main problem is that you could replace "neo" with "advanced". What you described (shifting, striking at range, blitz attack, etc...) might be relatively new to some people in the UFC, or it might've been new a couple of years ago, which is why people have a problem with Rogan himself, but the way YOU use this term is strange, because these don't seem new at all in the fighting world (not just UFC or older UFC).

Now I'm not saying I'm bothered myself.

Ill take all of the Neo stuff you're selling!

Also do you stock snake oil?

Well Josh, for one, a moving target, where you can not anticipate where a guy will be to shoot is takedown defense which people are finally starting to realize. Footwork is takedown defense, not just 6 months of sprawl training...................

Watch TJ hit the Gallop switch stance Corker Punch over and over, especially in Rd 3...I think it was like 230 and then 10 sec. left of round 3, and then at start of rd 4 leading into the finishing blitz. Since you are suddenly switching leads, and to the outside gate, any planned single leg or double leg shot is now very thwarted............it starts coming down to brain computing time. MMA especially on MM or TJ level is a very fast processing thing to be able to fight those guys. Now when bigger guys like myself can move like that then that is something. I am fast and do surprise people with my movement at 218 lbs of fat bellied 38 yr old.

Bones, while some of these things have been used in boxing, shotokan karate, american kickboxing/pt fighting etc........those are often just certain fighters that use certain pieces well. Now, in MMA, when you watch as many fights as I have my entire life, and not just UFC, and pay particular attention rewinding or watching frame by frame you can pick up on little things that work. You can draw from all styles. Plus, the takedown and clinch entries also are different, like Cruz does to his knee pick or Fedor or other combat Sambo guys off their cobra dart punch...........

Now, if you combine all the tricky stuff, and put it in switch fighter equally comfortable fighting both leads, as well as Shifting or switching stances in between combos, which also leads into different takedown possibilities you can see how this is become different in the free fighting environment of MMA.

Cool, but I don't get your point, though. It's not like you or Bang invented this, very much on the contrary, it's been around for a long time and although it's now being preached as the highest level of striking, at least in MMA, in the K1 world it's just called unorthodox style of fighting and it comes and goes. It just happens that a given fighter is gonna use it successfuly until someone beats him and so on.

well I am the first one that used the term Neo Striking, and was talking about switch stance footwork and combos. That is my point.

In the kickboxing world, you would have guys super athletic, from point karate backgrounds or whatever come in and do well from time to time, yes that is true. Some of it is indeed blitzing from point fighting, but much of it is just natural athletic movement.

IMO many athletically gifted explosive athletes know how to move naturally, but do not necessarily intellectually understand it, so they can not teach it, and they falter as they age and slow in their own careers.

I am teaching a system of combinations of combinations, specifically for MMA.

You will see lots of guys do step out power long hooks nowadays in MMA, and here is my vid from many years ago showing it

this later vid more dynamic and getting out from cage or corner

I have now advanced this into combos that I have tested against all types from amateur to top pro mma fighters to see what works

Cool, but I don't get your point, though. It's not like you or Bang invented this, very much on the contrary, it's been around for a long time and although it's now being preached as the highest level of striking, at least in MMA, in the K1 world it's just called unorthodox style of fighting and it comes and goes. It just happens that a given fighter is gonna use it successfuly until someone beats him and so on.

This, people dont understand that its not the technique that makes people great but people who make the technique great. Just because somebody stands flat-footed against a rabbit on cocaine doesnt mean the flat-footed guy is going to lose, let alone the less skilled striker.
Thats why this is such an awesome sport, there is no universal ''right way'' to fight.
If you want to make a name for yourself as a coach, then look up a gifted and motivated young fighter (who has no friends), snatch him quick, start training with him, teach him shit, make him a tough motherfuck*er, watch everybody go crazy about how good he is and then you can take responsibility on his success like that Edvard dude is doing.

Im from small country up north and i think my coach is a mastermind in his own right, like his IQ is somewhere beyond time and space, created his own self-defence art thats quite popular in those circles, but still not many people who im talking about.

This, people dont understand that its not the technique that makes people great but people who make the technique great. Just because somebody stands flat-footed against a rabbit on cocaine doesnt mean the flat-footed guy is going to lose, let alone the less skilled striker.

This. Has anybody noticed that neo-footwork is really only successful when you have about 6" of height and reach advantage?

That is not true, I am just shy of 5'11", and by moving in on off rythem, upbeat tempos or blitzing, stepping out or switching you can see me hit taller name sparring partners.

Guys, instead of just focusing on the new neo name, watch some of my vids especially the stuff in the first post and give me some feedback on which combos you like, or want to try out, or make you think about things differently. Thanks

I'll check them out later, brother. Will write what I think of it.

Back