Just discovered the "thumbless" gloves

Finding Deebo

Swimming in Heaven, lookin' for Craig!!
Banned
Reaction score
Advertised as heavy bag gloves, are they any better than using standard boxing gloves?

It's all subjective and down to what you find to be good for your own training. So if you can afford it, then try them out and try a few different pairs of boxing gloves/bag gloves and see what works for you personally.

Obviously with a thumbless bag glove, you're generally talking about a glove with less padding and you are hopefully trading that for being able to make a really optimal fist. If you had a lot of hand problems you'd probably go looking for something with the utmost protection, which'd be something with more padding but which also allows you to make an optimal fist.

Also there's probably a higher chance of thumb injury in a thumbless bag glove compared to a regular well-fitting boxing glove, but that chance reduces drastically so long as you're throwing your punches properly. If you aren't and you're landing poorly then you would be punished/injured moreso with thumbless bag gloves.

I use a pair of bag gloves sometimes that I like. I have weaker hands/wrists but I can make a really good fist in them and so they're protective enough for me for my bagwork and mittwork and I've not had any issues in that regard. Although if I were putting on a pair of gloves to do some punch-out cardio drill on a bag rather than regular bagwork, I'd probably pick something else just in case I landed wrong.

Hope that helps.

I have a pair of thumbless Cleto Reyes bag gloves that I like to use from time to time. You just want to make sure you punch with really good form as it can be a little easier to injure yourself. Also, don’t start throwing really hard punches until you’ve got your technique down and are comfortable using the gloves.

They make for easier nose picks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back