Just Booked a flight to Amsterdam! Tips?

Endocarditis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The berry was really helpful for my last trip to Italy. I just booked a 4 day trip to Amsterdam and I leave in 2 weeks. I haven't booked accommodations yet and would like to know thoughts on the hostels as the hotels are pretty pricey. Also, any recommendations on food/brothels/strip clubs/coffee shops & any other things to do to fill my 4 days?

I'm thinking

Netherlands = whore central

Weed

Windmills

Don't buy drugs from street dealers. In Amsterdam many people will sell you drugs, but that is not what you want. This in regard to your 'i'll try anything'.

If you have any specific questions you can ask away. I'm currently not living in Amsterdam but very close by (25km) and i'm quite often with friends who live in Amsterdam center. How old are you and with who are you going? I'm 23 myself, my advice on what to do would suck for a 50 something guy I guess.

Stay away from the Bulldog and the Grasshopper shops if you want good herb for your money. The Bluebird near Waterlooplein and De Eerste Hulp (on de Marnixstraat (situated on the right sided area of the central train station) are the places to go. I don't know what interests you music wise, culturewise, but Amsterdam and mainly the Red Light district is an all-in tourist trap, and has gotten worse over the years. I'be lived there for 4 years from 2000. Don't buy weed or anything by street dealers, stay away from places like Teasers. Van Gogh Museum is worth your money if that's your thing. Hostel Cosmos near Museumplein is OK, it's fairly cheap and situated near the main places. Hunters Bar on the Warmoesstraat is an ok place; lots of British dudes drinking beer, you can smoke herb in there too; a good starting point to the Red Light district stroll. Have fun!

Don't buy drugs from street dealers. In Amsterdam many people will sell you drugs, but that is not what you want. This in regard to your 'i'll try anything'.

If you have any specific questions you can ask away. I'm currently not living in Amsterdam but very close by (25km) and i'm quite often with friends. How old are you and with who are you going? I'm 23 myself, my advice on what to do would suck for a 50 something guy I guess.

Yeah, I read that article about the poisoned heroin or whatever it was. I'm 26 and I'm going to be there for 1 day solo then I'm meeting with 2 other friends. I'm mainly interested in your thoughts on what hostel to stay at. I'm looking at flying pig, the bulldog, and cocomama. As far as the itinerary goes, I'm going to definitely get a guided tour, visit the heineken factory, do the Anne Frank, probably visit the Van Gogh museum. I could use some tips on some good restaurants.

Stay away from the Bulldog and the Grasshopper shops if you want good herb for your money. The Bluebird near Waterlooplein and De Eerste Hulp (on de Marnixstraat (situated on the right sided area of the central train station) are the places to go. I don't know what interests you music wise, culturewise, but Amsterdam and mainly the Red Light district is an all-in tourist trap, and has gotten worse over the years. I'be lived there for 4 years from 2000. Don't buy weed or anything by street dealers, stay away from places like Teasers. Van Gogh Museum is worth your money if that's your thing. Hostel Cosmos near Museumplein is OK, it's fairly cheap and situated near the main places. Hunters Bar on the Warmoesstraat is an ok place; lots of British dudes drinking beer, you can smoke herb in there too; a good starting point to the Red Light district stroll. Have fun!

Thanks for the advice man. Good to know about the RLD...that wasn't actually my main reason of visiting Amsterdam. I'm pretty big into history and love food. Just looking for new experiences really.

Yeah, I read that article about the poisoned heroin or whatever it was. I'm 26 and I'm going to be there for 1 day solo then I'm meeting with 2 other friends. I'm mainly interested in your thoughts on what hostel to stay at. I'm looking at flying pig, the bulldog, and cocomama. As far as the itinerary goes, I'm going to definitely get a guided tour, visit the heineken factory, do the Anne Frank, probably visit the Van Gogh museum. I could use some tips on some good restaurants.

I'm not sure on Hostels, since I always sleep at friends places. I'd suggest to take a look at Airbnb, I did that in some other places and was much better then a hotel.

The story was that some crazy guy apparently sells heroin as cocaine to tourists. Personally i'd never try to buy cocaine if I were you. Even if you know the scene, quality coke is very rare. So just don't, any real dealer with quality stuff WON'T sell to tourists, they have regulars and play it low profile. So anyone offering you anything, will rip you off.

Red light district is pretty fun to see, and to things if you want. The bars there aren't the places I would go to though.

Thanks for the advice man. Good to know about the RLD...that wasn't actually my main reason of visiting Amsterdam. I'm pretty big into history and love food. Just looking for new experiences really.

Visit restaurant Fier on the Clerqstraat and Kop van Jut or Dubbel, both near Leidseplein; you'll get affordable and good Dutch cuisine and good atmosphere. I can name some good pizzerias too but they're all the same in every country.

Hit a hostel, The Flying Pig is class. Clean joint, sound atmosphere and good people. Wee bar, pool table & massive pillow-lounge on the main floor. http://www.flyingpig.nl/

Soon as yer off the train from Schiphol ye'll be offered drug's left-right & center. Ignore the wank's. Beware of pick-pocket's too mate and teh scammer's.

Too many "Coffee Shop's" to mention or suggest but one imparticular I'd advise ye to hit would be The Doors. Class mate.

Hit the canal's for a laugh, even get yer'self a wee bike for an hour or two. Main square, De Dam is a great place for a pint and to chill.

Nieuwendijk (Street?) is a solid spot for shopping and the like.

Hit a hostel, The Flying Pig is class. Clean joint, sound atmosphere and good people. Wee bar, pool table & massive pillow-lounge on the main floor. http://www.flyingpig.nl/

Soon as yer off the train from Schiphol ye'll be offered drug's left-right & center. Ignore the wank's. Beware of pick-pocket's too mate and teh scammer's.

Too many "Coffee Shop's" to mention or suggest but one imparticular I'd advise ye to hit would be The Doors. Class mate.

Hit the canal's for a laugh, even get yer'self a wee bike for an hour or two. Main square, De Dam is a great place for a pint and to chill.

Nieuwendijk (Street?) is a solid spot for shopping and the like.

I was in de Dam back in 2009, and this guy definitely gets it. Some of my finest moments in life happened in Amsterdam :)

Remember the safe word:

flugg.jpg

Get pegged while you eat a magic cupcake. You'll thank me later.

The Flying Pig was a cool place to stay when i was there about 5 yrs ago.

Things to do:
- Check out the canals, Amsterdam is really pretty.
- Smoke weed, eat some magic mushrooms/truffles and trip out.
- Heineken brewery.
- Van Gogh museum (eat some magic mushrooms before you go here = win)
- Hookers. I think they avg 50 euro/15 min so its pretty expensive but some of them are smoking hot so if you're into that.
- Live sex show.
- You could hire a car for a day and visit some other cities in Holland since its less than 2 hours to drive across the whole country and be in Germany. If you go to Utrecht, eat at American Steakhouse Broadway.

Back