JUST BLEED Throwback - Pele Landi

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Before Wanderlei and Anderson, and long before Ninja and Shogun, another Chute Boxe savage was terrorizing the vale tudo scene.

This was one of the first true mixed martial artists who pretty much went in full force and didn't care where the fight went.

Bare knuckles, stomps and soccer kicks, knees, elbows, headbutts, the kitchen sink.... everything went with this guy.

Cant find a good highlight on him, used to be a nice one called hello japan but it's been taken down.

But ya, Jose Pele Landi, the Cuban who grew up in Brazil, and who is said to have beaten the piss out of Anderson when they sparred, flatlined a pirme Matt Hughes in the first round, and went 30 minutes with a young Chuck Liddell, basically a natural WW taking on a big LHW.

Pele was one of the truly violent dudes from the early days.

pele-pose.jpg

717-RYeaQ6L._SX466_.jpg

20090409095744_1chuteboxe1.JPG

Hespect to Landi

He did use to beat up Silva back in the day, he was the man in Brazil

lowkey anderson silva hate ITT

Hespect to one of the original servants of the just bleed gods.

One of the first MMA fights that I watched that got me hooked up to this whole thing is the Pele Landi vs Jorge Patino fight.
If you haven’t watched it, I highly recommend it. Very brutal fight.

The wars him and Macaco had were legendary.

KOing Hughes, elbowing Matsui in the spine, snapping his leg in half, getting KTFO by Lee Murray and Jake Ellenberger... he had a memorable career for sure.

There's a name I have not heard in a long time

from the earliest days of sherdog: pele was eff sherwoods favorite fighter

Met him at a fight card in Edmonton, one of the most respectful nicest guys I've ever met. Not trolling

Pele dropping a young Chuck Liddell with a head kick.

099ab7144784537d26ba3223a3011e6f.gif

There's a name I have not heard in a long time
I love learning new things on here. My buds don't know jack about anything in the fight game before 2001.

Pele was the Anderson Silva prototype. But he was like if you mixed Anderson with Crazy Horse. Glad to see him brought up these days.

Cant find a good highlight on him

I always dug this one:

Last edited:
Don't forget about his war with Carlos Newton in Pride. An underrated Pride classic.

Stephen Quadros used to write a monthly article in Black Belt Magazine. A few of the articles highlighted the IVC (International Vale Tudo Championship).

That's where I first learned about Wanderlei Silva, Milton Bahia, Carlos Barreto, and of course Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons.

The UFC in the States was going through a sort of "dark age" as athletic commissions were calling NHB a "blood sport".

Until Sao Paulo made it illegal, in the IVC, the best of the best fought NHB, from the States, Canada, Japan, Russia, and Brazil.

Gary Goodridge once used a Tactical Testicle Trap on The Pedro (Otavio), crushing Otavio's nut sack.

Head butts, groin attacks, kicks, knees n stomps to a downed opponent were perfectly legal.

Fight Pass has these legendary events on tap.

Last edited:
Back